Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mixed feelings: What's best for Sean Taylor?

E-Dog Night

Ok, before you say to yourself "Oh lord help us, please, not another Sean Taylor thread", stop for a moment and ask yourself: when you project to the future the probable outcome of the ST debacle, what do you want to happen, and how do you feel about it? And after long and hard thought, I've decided that the best thing for him -- if he's done the things he's accused of -- may be to spend a little time in jail, as much as I hate the thought of it. Believe it or not, many people learn from their mistakes while serving time, and when they get out, they never get into trouble again. I think it will take something that severe to reach Sean Taylor.

At first, when I thought about what I wanted to happen, I instinctively reverted to my own experiences when my life had gotten jammed up. And until recently, that meant "figuring a way out of this mess", which basically consists of the following thought process:

"Ok, things got screwed up, but they really weren't my fault! You see, there was this guy, and he did this thing, so that made me do something which any normal person would do, and so this is total BS that people are on my case. So now I have to wiggle my way out of this because it's not fair and I shouldn't have to pay for the consequences of my actions because this could have happened to anyone."

But, in most cases (with one or two notable exceptions), I put myself in all the hot water I've ever been in by my own actions. And I was usually being selfish and childish and impulsive.

So getting back to Taylor......I of course want him to start from day one, because I believe the Redskins are a better team with him, and I believe that he can be a difference maker that directly affects the win/loss column at the end of the year. So part of me wants Taylor to get a good lawyer, and get the charges dropped, and not have to miss a day of training camp.

In this fantasy, Taylor learns from what he has done, and comes into camp with a new, mature attitude. He starts to listen to veterans, and never takes his talent or the game for granted ever again.

But my perception is that Sean Taylor has gotten away with everything his entire life, and he hasn't learned any lessons about taking responsibility and what life is really all about. He lives in a world where getting away with stuff is the norm, and he believes that he does not have to be held to the same standards as everyone else. Such is the attitude of many an athlete who was pampered from the moment their high school coach saw their amazing talent -- especially in the state of Florida, where the athlete is king.

Then you have the issue of his father...a high-ranking police official. We've all known or heard about a kid who's dad was the chief of police, and he's gotten away with every drunken/violent/delinquent incident in his entire life. Hey, I'm the chief's son! Screw you! I'll do what I want to and you can't do a damn thing about it. I didn't grow up with Taylor to see it for myself, but I have not one doubt that such is the case.

So Sean had a unique combination -- amazing athlete and the police chief's son. Mix that with an ingrained desire to play the part of a hard dude with street cred, like he's living some fantasy based on thug culture, and you have a guy that needs a shock to his system. Because if he gets away scot free form this latest incident, it will just be one more scrape that he's wiggled his way out of, and thus he'll have no experience of negative consequences for his actions. So why would he straighten out?

Look, before anyone starts throwing stuff at me, let me reiterate that I want to see Taylor take the field against the Bears -- as a changed and humble man who takes his hatred and aggression on the world out on his opponents. And it could conceivably happen. But in my 36 years on this planet, most of the people like Taylor that I've seen have to get their ass kicked by life before they change.

And unfortunately, when your entire life had been handed to you on a silver platter, the necessary change doesn't come until you are forced to change. And jail time might just be the only force that gets Taylor's attention, because clearly noting else -- not Gibbs, not his parents, not other vets in the league -- has gotten through to this kid.

What 'stuff' has ST gotten away with his whole life?

As for what I want for Taylor... I want the truth to come out and I want him to pay the consequences. If he did break the law, then yes, he probably should serve jail time. But we don't know anything yet... and we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Originally posted by zoony

What 'stuff' has ST gotten away with his whole life?

As for what I want for Taylor... I want the truth to come out and I want him to pay the consequences. If he did break the law, then yes, he probably should serve jail time. But we don't know anything yet... and we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

True true.

As I mentioned in the post, I didn't grow with ST, so I can't prove that he's been committing one crime after the other and gotten away with everything. That's my perception of him based on what I've seen so far.

But who knows? Maybe he didn't do a damn thing?

I sort of doubt it, though.

The news coverage of players from Miami is as broad as any NFL team. If this kid had been getting into "stuff" before we would have all known about it.

I think he likely did something stupid whether is was brandishing a gun, or going back and taking a swing at someone. Either way its something stupid.

If he did do something wrong, than he should pay the price of the common man.

That said, Is your job going to suspend you or fire you over getting into a bar fight ? Not likely.

I have fastened my seatbelt and will ride this one out. I have no idea what is going to happen.

Hopefully, the defense will convince the prosecutors that they really dont have a solid case and the credibility of people who allegedly fired shots and stole property isnt very good.

Then Sean can come back regain the trust/respect from his teammates, and put all of this crap behind him, ala Ray Lewis.

I honestly believe Sean Taylor will plea bargain and get communtiy service. When was the last time some one famous got the book thrown at them? He might miss a game or two but he will still be mopping up receivers for a better part of the year. I put money on it. :wewantd:

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

The news coverage of players from Miami is as broad as any NFL team. If this kid had been getting into "stuff" before we would have all known about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then Sean can come back regain the trust/respect from his teammates, and put all of this crap behind him, ala Ray Lewis.

1) You make a good point, but I think there are alot of Miami players who regularly get away with murder (figuratively) because the local police force takes great pride in Miami football and they are more likely to look the other way/inform the coaching staff when things get out of hand. They keep it "in house", so to speak.

2) Ray Lewis is the poster child of putting a questionable past behind you and becoming a respected -- even marketable -- star. We should all hope and pray that ST follows Ray Ray's lead.

Plea bargain makes him miss games. Meaning he would have to admit guilt to something.

Thus the league will suspend him. I hope this isnt the case.

But it wouldnt surprise me.

Reading the other post where they were referring to his lawyer being in practice for 40 years (10 as a prosecutor) makes him mid 60's at least and he knows the ins-and-outs better than most. And all of the judges and prosecutors know him. Could work out well for Sean.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

The biggest lesson Sean should take from all of this:

Shoulda come to the Ghost boy, *racks slide on Desert Eagle* coulda did it much better.

Online cigar to whoever gets that reference.

Menace II Society.

Ol Dawg, KD, and whoever MC Eiht was playing (Cant remember *Beverages*)

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

yep...In the car, before they were going to smoke the guys who killed Cain's cousin.

Mc Eiht as AWACS, said the line.

Wow, I saw that movie like 10 times in a row when it came out on video, but I have no recollection of that line.

This is one reason I don't smoke weed anymore...

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

We should all hope and pray that ST follows Ray Ray's lead. [/quote

i agree pray :point2sky

its amazing to me how L.Little can kill a woman ,than get arrested

agin for a DUI and still play without heavy media bashing

but St gets arrested for d.u.i goes to court

the judge looks at the tape from the police cruiser, and says this man should have never even been taking in end of the case

but Taylor has the rep for being a drunk

why do people hate the skins?

One thing I would like to see ST learn from this is how to be a mature, rational adult. ST has demonstrated time and again that he is very immature. One thing seems to be true, Sean Taylor may not have a proven past for being in trouble, but he always seems to be poking around the edges of it.

I completely agree E-Dog. Stuff gets covered up all the time at colleges, and even in the pros. Nobody truely knows what Sean may or may not have gotten away with before he came to the skins. Sean being a local hero of sorts, he's got many on his side in the Miami area. People think that the media doesn't miss a trick, but the do.

For the folks that don't think stuff gets covered up, read "Pros and Cons in the NFL", it will shed some light on just what goes on.

I'm still tossed up on Taylor. Even if he's cleader of all charges, he's still blown off the team the entire offseason, and gotten his name spread around for the wrong reasons causing embarasment to the Skins.

If he's cleared, do you think you'll see all the media outlets with big stories saying Sorry Sean, sorry Redskins. Guilty or not, he made us look bad.

I kind of agree that Mr. Taylor needs a wake up call. Whether Taylor displayed a gun or not is irrelevant. He put himself in a situation that he should not have been in. The jaywalking comment diminishes the severity of his actions. His actions since he was drafted indicate to me that Mr. Taylor does not always see the consequences of his actions. Basically, he needs to start becoming a responsible person that respects his bosses and respects himself. If spending some time in jail accomplishes this task then maybe spending time in the slammer is a good thing.

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

1) You make a good point, but I think there are alot of Miami players who regularly get away with murder (figuratively) because the local police force takes great pride in Miami football and they are more likely to look the other way/inform the coaching staff when things get out of hand. They keep it "in house", so to speak.

You obviously do not know the city of Miami if you really believe this. The Miami PD will take every oppurtunity it can to nail an kind of athelete down here. The Rolle arrest was a perfect example of what happens down here when you are rich and run into the cops.

This isn't a college town. The cops are not the same as they are in gainsville or tallycrappy.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

I kind of agree that Mr. Taylor needs a wake up call. Whether Taylor displayed a gun or not is irrelevant. He put himself in a situation that he should not have been in. The jaywalking comment diminishes the severity of his actions. His actions since he was drafted indicate to me that Mr. Taylor does not always see the consequences of his actions. Basically, he needs to start becoming a responsible person that respects his bosses and respects himself. If spending some time in jail accomplishes this task then maybe spending time in the slammer is a good thing.

You are suggesting that ST should do jail time for:

1) "He put himself in a situation that he should not have been in."

2) "Taylor does not always see the consequences of his actions."

3) "he needs to start becoming a responsible person that respects his bosses and respects himself."

I'm curious as to what law dictates jail time for these "offenses"?

Come off it, wskin44. I said nothing of the sort. Are you being serious with that nonsense?

From the first paragraph of my post, I said "I've decided that the best thing for him -- if he's done the things he's accused of -- may be to spend a little time in jail, as much as I hate the thought of it."

The examples you posted are behavioral things that have gotten him into trouble. I did not in any way suggest that he should do jail time for anything you mentioned.

Of all the egregious examples of twisting someone's words around, that's about the worst I've ever seen.

Ev, the first step in recovering from an addiction is admitting you have one.. Time for you to get off the seantaylor

- your eyes are bloodshot, you've been slacking at work, you ramble on senselessly - these are all signs that you have a problem!

I think you need SeanTaylor Anonymous...seriously :whoknows:

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Ev, the first step in recovering from an addiction is admitting you have one.. Time for you to get off the seantaylor

- your eyes are bloodshot, you've been slacking at work, you ramble on senselessly - these are all signs that you have a problem!

I think you need SeanTaylor Anonymous...seriously :whoknows:

Say what?

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

That said, Is your job going to suspend you or fire you over getting into a bar fight ? Not likely.

You bet your sweet a$$ I would get fired. And most people, in careers or jobs that are looked upon by the community or society (lawyers, police officials, doctors, teachers, etc.) would be at least suspended, if not let go, by being involved in a bar fight without or without weapons. Celebrities, who our looked upon by communities and society more than anyone, always seem to get the "free" ride.

It is also very widely known that athletes get away with offenses that non-athletes would never have a chance with, especially down in Florida (the "U" and FSU being prime examples). Look at Coles. He was one of the few who actually had consequences handed to him for his unlawful actions, but it only made him bitter. Like he was supposed to be above getting into trouble, right???

If Sean Taylor was a member of ANY other NFL team, especially the Cowboys or the Eagles, not one person on this board would be saying the insane crap that some have said about Sean here. We would all be saying how he needs to pay for his crimes, how his short history in the NFL has shown how he has major issues and is very capable of being guilty of what he has been accused of, and how he IS a punk a$$ thug who thinks he is above everyone: the coach, the team, the law.

Now, I love the Redskins, and I want us to win more than anything as I'm sure all of you do. However, just being fans who want our team to win does not mean that we should be hypocritical about events and consequences. I have a friend who works for the courts down in Miami-Dade, and although she is not connected to the case, she said that if there wasn't some good evidence linking Taylor to these crimes, the charges would have been dropped immediately. In her words, "There is definitely something there, and it is big enough to keep his lawyer from pleading it out or sweeping it under the rug." I want to win with true Redskins, not with thugs!!!

Originally posted by Taylor 36

You bet your sweet a$$ I would get fired. And most people, in careers or jobs that are looked upon by the community or society (lawyers, police officials, doctors, teachers, etc.) would be at least suspended, if not let go, by being involved in a bar fight without or without weapons. Celebrities, who our looked upon by communities and society more than anyone, always seem to get the "free" ride.

It is also very widely known that athletes get away with offenses that non-athletes would never have a chance with, especially down in Florida (the "U" and FSU being prime examples). Look at Coles. He was one of the few who actually had consequences handed to him for his unlawful actions, but it only made him bitter. Like he was supposed to be above getting into trouble, right???

If Sean Taylor was a member of ANY other NFL team, especially the Cowboys or the Eagles, not one person on this board would be saying the insane crap that some have said about Sean here. We would all be saying how he needs to pay for his crimes, how his short history in the NFL has shown how he has major issues and is very capable of being guilty of what he has been accused of, and how he IS a punk a$$ thug who thinks he is above everyone: the coach, the team, the law.

Now, I love the Redskins, and I want us to win more than anything as I'm sure all of you do. However, just being fans who want our team to win does not mean that we should be hypocritical about events and consequences. I have a friend who works for the courts down in Miami-Dade, and although she is not connected to the case, she said that if there wasn't some good evidence linking Taylor to these crimes, the charges would have been dropped immediately. In her words, "There is definitely something there, and it is big enough to keep his lawyer from pleading it out or sweeping it under the rug." I want to win with true Redskins, not with thugs!!!

:cheers:

Archived