Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'll take the chance

MrFrank

I know I am going to get the troll tag on this thread, but I want to ask you guys something.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of these overpriced athletes thinking they are above the law. Because that's what it amounts to. (And BTW, I feel the same way about the Nate Newtons and Michael Irvins - so don't flame me).

For once, I would like to see one of these NFL thug-wannabes like Sean Taylor have to face up to the consequences of their actions. Until that happens, these athletes are just going to continue setting a bad example.

What do you think?

What do I think?

I think you had a chance to ask and discuss this question in any one of the 1,403 threads that have dealt with this exact, specific question since Wednesday.

Oh, and I think you've just taken another vacation on the house. Enjoy. :)

For the record, my swift action on this thread was NOT done lightly or without what I considered good cause. This poster has gone out of his way to force the Staff to clean up after him on multiple occasions in his short stay here. Perhaps his motivations on this thread were pure, but his history makes it impossible for anyone familiar with that history to distinguish between simple obliviousness to timing and tone, and simple trolling.

I am reopening the thread for anyone who wishes to discuss the actual topic, but ask that people refrain from talking about the poster who started it. He won't be joining the discussion any time soon to reply.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Tough call. I have thought about and expressed my opinion on what actions the team should do. Obviously, they will wait until they get all the facts and talk to Sean. I don't know if they will wait for the court situation to reslove itself.

However, I respect the FO and coach Gibbs. I am therefore going to refrain from offering my opinion and wait until the team announces their actions. They obviously have more knowledge on the subjec matter than I and have access to more information about the case.

If the NFL suspends a player, is there anything guaranteeing the teams cap-relief from the missed game checks? I'm sure most teams write stuff like this into their basic contracts, but I think the NFL needs to take it into consideration.

Nick

Originally posted by ntotoro

If the NFL suspends a player, is there anything guaranteeing the teams cap-relief from the missed game checks? I'm sure most teams write stuff like this into their basic contracts, but I think the NFL needs to take it into consideration.

Nick

That's a good point. The team should get some sort of relief.

I can see why the thread-starter is fed up with these types of incidents. It gets annoying after a while.

I don't mind the question as it was posed. Sean Taylor doesn't embarrass me because I personally had nothing to do with him being selected. I do have a couple opinions/observations/questions though.

If a player is CONVICTED of a serious felony then I agree that he should be penalized by the league.

All contracts should contain morals clauses that would address this issue. The players contract should be voided at the time of conviction and the team given complete relief from any cap ramifications. Once the player has paid his debt to society and to the league then he should be free to re-join the league. The kicker would be that his rights are retained by the team he was on for a period of time (two years?) in order to insure that he doesn't benefit from his crime by becoming a free agent.

It is important to remember that in this country you are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many here seem to have convicted him already. Although his actions do cast embarrassment on the Redskins organization their hands are tied until he is convicted. I do not believe that any team would sever ties with this player at this time. To ask them, or expect them, to do so at this time is a ridiculous notion.

Originally posted by Monte51Coleman

It is important to remember that in this country you are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many here seem to have convicted him already. Although his actions do cast embarrassment on the Redskins organization their hands are tied until he is convicted. I do not believe that any team would sever ties with this player at this time. To ask them, or expect them, to do so at this time is a ridiculous notion.

I hope my posts didn't cause this confusion. All of my opinions are based on the assumption that the athlete is convicted of something, not charged or accused!

While an athlete should face the consequences of his actions a question remains whether those consequences should be more severe than they would be for anyone else.

I know he is an unpopular person on this board but the Ray Lewis case in a good example. He was indicted for murder BECAUSE he was famous. The case was ludicrous which is why it was eventually dropped. He did not get off because he was famous, he got off because there was simply no case to be made against him (for murder).

D.A.s are politicians. They are constantly trying to get reelected. Politics is a HUGE part of their decision making process when they decide how to proceed with a case. This is especially true when the case involves a celebrity. So while athletes might sometimes get off because of their fame, they may also face a tougher prosecution.

Money gets people off, not fame. If a rich but unknown person was in the situation that Taylor is in, he would not get any jail time. Sean might not either. This is not the type of case that would generally end up with any significant jail time.

In any case, we need to wait and let the system work before passing judgement.

• 2 months later...
I know I am going to get the troll tag on this thread, but I want to ask you guys something.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of these overpriced athletes thinking they are above the law. Because that's what it amounts to. (And BTW, I feel the same way about the Nate Newtons and Michael Irvins - so don't flame me).

For once, I would like to see one of these NFL thug-wannabes like Sean Taylor have to face up to the consequences of their actions. Until that happens, these athletes are just going to continue setting a bad example.

What do you think?

I think your a Troll!!

I don't like punks or thugs. That said, I don't know enough about the case against Taylor to determine what his role actually was. The only person that is coming forward to accuse him of brandishing a gun (ie the felony charge in the indictment) is the guy that everyone else points to as the one that himself stole Taylor's property and has a record..............

I don't know of too many cases involving non-athletes where a ADA would go to trial with a case that consists of this little evidence.

Unless there is more to come on that front, I see Taylor walking on this charge.

If he is found not guilty I don't see how you can bar him from competing in the NFL.

If the standard is that you can't associate with or be involved in any way with people that have committed a crime than that means that Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis of the Ravens should not be in uniform and that Super Bowl trophy from 2000 should be given to the Giants.........

convicted, accussed, and what people believe happened, are completely different issues, sean taylor shouldnt have consequences unless his convicted. Take a look at the Ray Lewis situation, he was accused of MURDER, and he wasnt punished for the accusation, he was punished for admitting to obstruction of justice, I had a personal opinion on what i think happened, but my personal opinions and the fans opinions dont matter, its what the courts decide that should dictate suspensions. Sean Taylor is INNOCENT, until proven guilty.

I endorse accountability, period. But mainly as a more effective form of behavior modification compared to minimal consequences for our actions. The NFL should have a firm and impartial policy regarding felony CONVICTIONS and/or any other record of criminal activity that applies to all teams and is not subject to the wihims of particlualr coaches/owners. I'd hope for a strict policy, myself.

That being said, I'd try not to get too self-righteous in labeling these "gansta thug" young athletes. How many times do you figure some wealthy owner/veteran/celebrity athlete of a more mainstream culturally approved "type" gets away with a warning for drunk driving or public disturbances by nature of their position, or making the right phone calls? Or worse.

What do you think?

I think the difference between Irvin and Newton compared to Sean Taylor's situation... is that those two were actually found guilty. Come back when the charges against Taylor are substanciated by a guilty verdict.

Innocent until proven guilty.

If he, or any other athlete, is convicted of a crime I believe they should be punished by the legal system as well as the NFL, and their punnishments should match or excede their crime.

But like I said, innocent until proven guilty.

Archived