Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Must See....Cinderella Man

JMac

I am not gonna say anything for those who havent seen it but the movie is AWESOME!! It is now one of my favorite movies of all time.

Russell Crow and Ron Howard did an incredible job.

Men, your wives will love the movie as well/

Go see this movie!!:cheers:

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

sportsguy says the fight scenes aren't that great....true story?

There are a few moments where you can't tell who is getting hit in the ring, but it's not too bad. I thought the boxing scenes were pretty good, but I'm not really a boxing fan.

Excellent movie overall, though.

Originally posted by JMac

I am not gonna say anything for those who havent seen it but the movie is AWESOME!! It is now one of my favorite movies of all time.

Russell Crow and Ron Howard did an incredible job.

Men, your wives will love the movie as well/

Go see this movie!!:cheers:

hey jmac, did YOU think it's possible that Crowe's performance will earn him another best actor award?

(Rant on)

Sorry, but I have a problem with this movie.

They portray Max Baer in this film as being a bum and a lout, when nothing could be further from the truth.

When Max Baer killed Jackie Campbell in the ring, Baer himself was devastated by the accident. He lost his desire to fight, (and in fact lost four of his next six fights), but continued fighting in order to give the proceeds to Jackie Campbell's family!

But Baer was never again the same punishing fighter he had once been, which is why a journeyman like Jim Braddock was able to defeat him.

I like Ron Howard as a director, but he could have told the story of Jim Braddock without rewriting history, ala Oliver Stone. :mad:

(Rant off)

They needed Baer to be a monster or you wouldn't have rooted as hard for Braddock. It bent the truth but was necessary.

I loved the movie as well. I thought I would hate it, but one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

• 6 months later...

I have to agree -- just watched this movie last night...superb. Russell Crowe does a phenomenal job, as does Renee Zellwegger. Paul Giamatti almost steals the spotlight from Crowe as his trainer...he is fantastic as well. One of the best movies I've ever seen. I loved it!

sportsguy says the fight scenes aren't that great....true story?

The Sports Guy sucks the sweat off a dead man's balls. That hack wouldn't know a good movie if it threw him under a bus.

And I agree about Baer -- they had to make him the evil enemy. I don't think the story would have been the same without that factor in it...

(Rant on)

Sorry, but I have a problem with this movie.

They portray Max Baer in this film as being a bum and a lout, when nothing could be further from the truth.

When Max Baer killed Jackie Campbell in the ring, Baer himself was devastated by the accident. He lost his desire to fight, (and in fact lost four of his next six fights), but continued fighting in order to give the proceeds to Jackie Campbell's family!

But Baer was never again the same punishing fighter he had once been, which is why a journeyman like Jim Braddock was able to defeat him.

I like Ron Howard as a director, but he could have told the story of Jim Braddock without rewriting history, ala Oliver Stone. :mad:

(Rant off)

Regardless of what Baer actually did, the public image was fixed. And that is more of what Howard was after. Baer coulda have been a gentle giant, didn't matter. He was portrayed as a killer in the media.

As far as his personal life, I don't know much about it, women and such, but I'm sure Howard did his homework.

I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it as well.

Also, I agree with The Cheif. Max Baer was a good guy, and I heard he put Campbell's kids through college and did many things for his family. I read an article one time where it was talking about how Max Baer Jr. was upset about how the movie portrayed him.

Archived