Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread [SPOILERS ALLOWED!]

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Can I ask why ? A film clip/trailer/teaser...gets me interested in a movie. 

I won't pay the 50 bucks or so to see a movie if I already know what will happen. 

I love spoilers. I want to understand what’s happening ahead of time. I honestly don’t enjoy going into a movie blind because I miss things and I don’t want to spend 50 dollars to see a movie again because I missed things. 

I loved how the prequel books were released a month before the films. 

1 hour ago, codeorama said:

I love spoilers. I want to understand what’s happening ahead of time. I honestly don’t enjoy going into a movie blind because I miss things and I don’t want to spend 50 dollars to see a movie again because I missed things. 

I loved how the prequel books were released a month before the films. 

Pretty much this, yeah.  

1 hour ago, codeorama said:

I’ve read all the spoilers and if true, major disappointment. 

I think some of the stuff is really going to divide the hardcore fans.  That said, I don’t necessarily hate any of it if it’s done well.  I’ll see how I feel after watching on Sunday morning.

2 hours ago, HooHog said:

Pretty much this, yeah.  

I think some of the stuff is really going to divide the hardcore fans.  That said, I don’t necessarily hate any of it if it’s done well.  I’ll see how I feel after watching on Sunday morning.

I’m seeing it tonight and I’m open minded enough to decide after seeing. I feel the same way as you 

I need ONE scene explained to me before I deliver a verdict: Luke's Death Scene. I was getting tired at that point (I had traveled all day

and was really losing concentration by the end of the movie). I think I missed something, because I didn't get it:

1. We see Luke on his island after he finishes projecting his image on the salt plains.

2. He looks up at the sky, sees the cloud part to reveal a blood red sun...and something else? (I didn't catch it)

3. We see his eyes widen, tears stream down his cheeks.

4. He collapses and dies, Obi Wan style -- his body dissapears, leaving only his robes.

I just didn't get it. And this is scene was pivotal to me, because I thought the ending was AWESOME, and pretty much saved the movie,

except for this one scene, which kind of messed with the ending's momentum. Was it something he saw? Something he realized? I just

didn't get it, and it bugs the hell out of me.

4 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I need ONE scene explained to me before I deliver a verdict: Luke's Death Scene. I was getting tired at that point (I had traveled all day

and was really losing concentration by the end of the movie). I think I missed something, because I didn't get it:

1. We see Luke on his island after he finishes projecting his image on the salt plains.

2. He looks up at the sky, sees the cloud part to reveal a blood red sun...and something else? (I didn't catch it)

3. We see his eyes widen, tears stream down his cheeks.

4. He collapses and dies, Obi Wan style -- his body dissapears, leaving only his robes.

I just didn't get it. And this is scene was pivotal to me, because I thought the ending was AWESOME, and pretty much saved the movie,

except for this one scene, which kind of messed with the ending's momentum. Was it something he saw? Something he realized? I just

didn't get it, and it bugs the hell out of me.

It was basically him remembering the two suns of tattoine when he stares off into the dual sunset in ANH before heading off with Obi Wan. It was a call back to that scene and moment and I think he found peace in that Reflection of the beginning of his journey, moments before the end. That was the significance of the clouds parting to reveal the second sun 

Spoiler

Snoke. Really? 

All this build up to him having been this badass presence from the Unknown Regions that Palpatine had sensed & was scared of being more powerful than he was & they threw the character away like that. ****ing stupid. 

Finn. I thought he'd have been better served if he had been killed off sacrificing himself instead of being saved by Rose.

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It was basically him remembering the two suns of tattoine when he stares off into the dual sunset in ANH before heading off with Obi Wan. It was a call back to that scene and moment and I think he found peace in that Reflection of the beginning of his journey, moments before the end 

But that IMAGE didnt cause him to die. It just gave his death meaning. But what actually caused him to die? Was it the strain of projecting his image against Kylo Ren? Opening himself up to the force again?

Just now, Mournblade said:

But that IMAGE didnt cause him to die. It just gave his death meaning. But what actually caused him to die? Was it the strain of projecting his image against Kylo Ren? Opening himself up to the force again?

What caused his death was projecting a force image of himself halfway across the galaxy after being shut off from th force for so long. I assume it was just too much for his body to handle 

1 minute ago, TK said:
  Hide contents

Snoke. Really? 

All this build up to him having been this badass presence from the Unknown Regions that Palpatine had sensed & was scared of being more powerful than he was & they threw the character away like that. ****ing stupid. 

Finn. I thought he'd have been better served if he had been killed off sacrificing himself instead of being saved by Rose.

And who the F was Snoke? Was he Plagueis? I don't see how someone of that power could have evaded the scrutiny of both Sidious and Vader during the Emperor's reign. Plagueis is the only one who makes sense, because Plagueis was obsessed with immortality and COULD have feasibly survived Sidious's attempt to kill him (and also succesfully cloaked himself during Sidious and Vader's reign).

Just now, Mournblade said:

He had expended his energy. That projecting trick while showing off just how strong his power was, drained him. Same as Yoda vs Dooku when Yoda immediately went back to using the walking stick. Same as Vader at the end of Rogue One being a total badass & being slow & lumbering vs Obi Won in ANH.

2 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What caused his death was projecting a force image of himself halfway across the galaxy after being shut off from th force for so long. I assume it was just too much for his body to handle 

There you go! Ok that makes sense. Now I'm going to have go back and give this movie some serious thought. Tons of good, tons of bad. Boy, I think this is going to be the most divisive Star wars movie of all time.

1 minute ago, Mournblade said:

And who the F was Snoke? 

Exactly. All that's supposedly know is that Snoke came from the Unknown Regions where remnants of the Empire fled to regroup after the end of ROTJ. But Palpatine was aware of his presence as he had sensed him & was terrified of it. 

I'll give my acting grades now:

1. Driver: A+. Was mesmerizing in just about every scene he was in. Brillantly conveyed a tortured Dark Side apprentice

2. Hamill, Boyega, Ridley, Kelly Marie Tran, Oscar Issac, Laura Dern: A. Hamill was great and the kids were phenomenal. I will never doubt either Ridley or Boyega's talents again.

4. Benicio Del Torro; C. Dude stop mumbling your lines. You did the same thing in Sicario. Learn how to enunciate.

3. Carrie Fisher: D+. She was ok at the beginning of the movie, but holy smokes did she look bored out of her skull by movie's end.

Not a real memorable ending for a film legend. 

9 minutes ago, TK said:

Exactly. All that's supposedly know is that Snoke came from the Unknown Regions where remnants of the Empire fled to regroup after the end of ROTJ. But Palpatine was aware of his presence as he had sensed him & was terrified of it. 

Itd be nice if any of that was even explained in movie. 

Thats probably my biggest complaint. He was awesome right up until the moment he dies and then I realize I’ll never know a thing about him. Who was he? How was he so powerful? Where did he come from? What was his mission? Etc. I get that counter that nobody knew anything about the emperor in ESB or ROTJ but still. They didn’t build up any mystery around him like they did Snoke. 

He was tossing both rey and Kylo around like rag dolls. How did he get so powerful? I just don’t understand why they dropped the ball on the mysteries of this universe so much. 

And Luke as well. Nothin to touch on what happened the past 30 years. Did we ever find out why he thought the Jedi should end? Basically they lost their way and were failures? What did all his old script reading tell him? There was nothing engaging there. 

Also what was the point of Yoda? Has he not visited Luke in the last 30 years? He shows up, burn the Last remains of the Jedi for no reason at all and laughs away. I didn’t get that part either. He didn’t offer anything of substance that you’d think a 700yr Jedi that’s lived after death for 30 years might be capable of 

Archived