Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Callahan and the Offensive Line

joeken24

On 05/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, method man said:

How did PFF rate how Kalis did in the games he played? Was he at least solid?

He was pretty awful, but an UDFA seeing starts in their first season is not realistic.

I'm not too concerned about depth at guard next year, as long as the depth excludes Kouandjio.

Could someone explain the huge disparity between our OL's run-blocking and pass-blocking ?

It seems apparent that even when our starters are all healthy, that our run-blocking is far inferior to their pass-blocking.

It's not just the result of lack of RB talent, but it's clear our OL gets pushed back and bullied on run plays.

Is Callahan possibly not nearly as good at coaching the run, as he is on the pass ?

I don't know what else the culprit could be.

On 12/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, skinsOLfan said:

Quentin Spain

I have watched Arie since he was cut and is back now and he's improving, 

I believe Long and Lavoua may be done do to injuries and Catalina shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

You've identified the positions correctly and you're absolutely right about the underlying need for improvement, while also pointing out at least one specific real world example as to what is lacking with the current o-line, however imo, have misfired on the solutions. Also, imo, the ancillary analysis on our backup players misses the mark. 

Issue 1:

Spain, you might not have realized, is scheduled to be a Restricted Free Agent in 2018.

And therefore, despite what anyone may feel about him as a player, however they grade him, RFAs generally don't move away from teams, particularly if they are any good and especially so if a starter level player or anything above that. First, because the parent team controls the situation from a contractual power standpoint. Secondly, the money is easily afforable per the tenders for the parent team. 

So, that is prohibitive point #1. 

It's not impossible that he becomes available, unrestricted, but not likely though. For that to happen Tenn would have to literally not tender him, nor, more preferably, already have him signed on a multi-year deal. 

Beyond that, I don't advocate that the Redskins be in the business of dropping draft picks for RFAs. The best play for Tenn would be to sign him to a multi-year deal. In the event they don't have a multi-year deal done before the tender deadline in advance of free agency, I could take a guesstimation that Tennessee places a 1st round tender upon him.

So, in that theoretical tangent, the draft pick cost needed for the Redskins to secure him would be prohibitive point #2.  

Beyond that, I'll just briefly write some positives I like about Spain, specifically. 

I like his latch. Hands look strong. Long arms stand out. Upper body strength apparent because I'm seeing shoulder plane realignment from defenders during engagement. I like that he absorbs bullrush in pass-pro, at least in the Arizona game. I like how he squats into his anchor. He also seems to be able to adequately redirect from his primary dropback in pass-pro when needing to support either tackle or center with a backup tandem, if uncovered. 

He has an typical guard body, squat and wide mid-section. I like how the Tenn o-line is coached, scheme wise. I know it's Grimm.

I like how Spain is coached to angle off the passrush in his dropback sets. Rather than become overly springy on their feet, the interior linemen are taught to keep their feet well planted and stay wide bodied. 

If there is one area of critique I'd level at Spain it would be maneuverability. At least at the NFL level, he's not elite at sudden redirection. His feet are not the most seamless when out in space. If the situation asks for a build up of speed, a straight on approach for a collision, like a kick-out block, he's fine for that. 

*Edit: Just watched the Pittsburgh tape, and boy, there's some critique to be had on Spain's anchor. Yes sir.*

Nothing was fundamentally lacking when pulling and getting up into the hole. But likewise, missed a few moving targets at the 2nd level in the Arizona game I just watched. 

He missed a stunt or two in the Arizona game as well. Now, the one I'm channeling from memory, it was a designed pick play between the DT and DE. And in all honesty, the DT blocked, or otherwise "held," the OT, thus when the DE did an inside stunt, the Tackle was unable to follow. Spain just missed the stunt motion visually on the exchange, because he never reacted to it. He ran wide with the DT, staying engaged and crashed into the Tackle's "air space." 

I think he literally collided with the LT, in fact. So, unfortunately Spain never picked up the stunting DE and the resulting play ended with a sack. Previously in the game I saw that the LT actually chased the stunting DE inside, almost like it was "man coverage" for both the LG and LT. Most often you see the linemen exchange the twisting d-linemen in a more "zone coverage."

That didn't happen here. I'm not sure if it should, or should not, have. 

In other instances where Spain is uncovered and has his head on a swivel (pass-pro), he seems to pick up visual recognition to rally over.  

Previously stated a positive about being able to re-direct himself within the Apse of the pocket. I don't know if the missed stunts in the AZ game is a trend or just an odd isolated occurrence. 

Anyway.

I'll give you an unrestricted free agent o-lineman who I believe the Redskin should sign with priority, if he were to become available on March 14th, 2018.

Andrew Norwell, LG, Carolina. 

Since this is already a long post I'll just hit the high marks. This is a pro-bowl Guard. He just hasn't been awarded that distinction, yet. But if you watch the tape, he's playing at a Pro Bowl level. He's playing 2017 on the one-year tender he was given as an RFA last offseason. He's set to be unrestricted this offseason. 

And he is worthy of a multi-year contract. And he's much better of a player than Lauvao. 

So, body size wise, he's taller, more elongated than Spain. He's more akin to a tackle body in terms of frame. But he's got plenty of bulk for the interior and carries it well. Don't worry, he's playing at 325+ lbs. People in the past have compared him to Alex Boone. 

Naturally Spain's frame means he's more squat and lower in leverage compared to Norwell. To counteract that, Norwell has bend. 

Let's see, he's got an active foot chop set-up in pass-pro. It's not a slide step, it's an active chop. Despite carrying good bulk he hasn't lost suddenness. I wouldn't necessarily call him twitchy. But he has a very committed redirection in pass-pro when rallying to support his tackle. He plays decisively on that front. 

But he also plays physically. He's an asset in the run game because he can actually drive block well. Additionally, due to his long legs, he can swing his hips around, 90 degrees, while latched with his hands up-top and seal a defender pretty effortlessly. Carolina uses him on pulling and trap plays. They trust his ability to create push on kick-outs.

One thing I liked about him is that when in the 2nd level, his stride makes up for any perceived lack of elite athleticism. Simply, he can reach targets and continue to ride guys beyond, or shield defenders, because of length. It allows him to react to a defender who is actively trying avoidance despite not being Bruce Lee twitchy.

One thing I brought up about Spain that I noticed in the AZ game, which I leveled as a critique, was his misses on a couple stunts. Well, from the tape I've seen on Norwell, he recognizes stunts really well. He just eats them up. And that is one thing I'd pay money for to see, as it would improve above and beyond Lauvao, who is a big liability there. 

Norwell seems to re-set himself well in his anchor. It's different than Spain who, from what I've seen, just absorbs the bullrush. Norwell hand-shivers and jabs his way back to re-establish his feet beneath him with a pronounced back arch. He does it well for himself, but does give ground. It's just different from Spain technique wise. 

*Just based on the Arizona tape I would have said that Spain has the higher marks there in terms of defending bullrush. But after watching the Pittsburgh tape, I think Spain could actually be worse.*  

Anyway, check out Norwell yourself when you get a chance. There's game tape of Norwell vs Cox this year if you have gamepass. 

.............................................................................................................

From there, let me just hit a few quick things, big picture.

I disagree with you about Catalina. Not only does he meet the criteria you listed above as a quality you liked, size and weight threshold, but I believe he adds positional versatility to the roster for the back-up ranks. You might not have known this, but Catalina was a distinguished conference awarded Tackle at Rhode Island before transferring to Georgia where he also played Tackle. 

I actually think Cat should get reps in competition for the back-up Swing Tackle position next offseason. (Add a FA too for S-OT).

Further, he's an Exclusive-Rights FA. Those are the kind-of guys you keep cheap and hope to grow. One year in, on a rookie, is too early to abort, especially with a team like we have where you can find faults with just about each guy, even the starters, sans maybe one dude, Trent himself. 

Let me tell you who I do think "shouldn't be on an NFL roster," TJ Clemmings. That dude straight up sucks. And what's more, he's been in the league for 3 or 4 years now. Dude is known. See the difference between that and an undrafted Rookie? 

Perhaps an unintentional bit of irony here is that you promoted an undrafted LG in Spain, who made something of himself, to be our future LG, while I too have promoted an undrafted LG in Norwell, who likewise has made something of himself. Just as Catalina is an undrafted dude. 

So maybe he deserves another Camp, at least? We'll see then if he can battle for a spot on the 53 next year. 

Overall, this is what I suggest. Do not re-sign Lauvao. That's better said than done especially if Bruce is still our defacto GM, what with his butt buddy relationship with the ASU program. I'd like to sign a FA just like you. I suggested Andrew Norwell who is unrestricted and also plays LG, just like Spain. 

Big one here though, AND, don't re-sign or tender Nsekhe. 

Well ... maybe tender, if only to see if another team bites ... I don't know.

I know, earlier here in this post I wrote a big piece about RFAs and about how they don't move, and Ty is scheduled to be a RFA. It's just ... 2017 was a bad year for him. And quite honestly, he was a liability when he played. He also was injured. And he's 32 ... 

So, I'm kind of seeing to the horizon here. I can get into my reasons in more detail later.

I actually would suggest we target a back-up Swing Tackle in free agency. That's a separate move in of itself, in addition to the Norwell move. It actually is pretty cheap for a back-up Swing Tackle, I've guesstimated. I've pretty much determined we can spend a little less money, but roughly the same amount of money, as we would on Ty, but for a younger guy, who is the same size, with the same experience at playing both RT and LT as a back-up. I can name the dude later. 

So, for me, I have that new FA Swing OT compete with Catalona for the back-up Swing OT position. Maybe one guy emerges as better at LT vs RT. So you could end up with a situation where (if injury dictated) you can slide the new FA to one side while Cat could slide to the opposite side. Something like that. 

I do suggest we at least tender Catalina because he's an exclusive rights free agent and that is just easy money. 

Kouandjio, while I liked him coming out of Bama for the mid-round value it seemed, he's never seemed to take hold of his spot on the roster or in the depth chart. I've been kind-of waiting for that moment for him to do something that would make me say, hey this guy could possibly start for us and be ok, let's keep him. But that's never happened. So, I kind-of disagree that he's shown anything that says his name is etched in stone here on the depth chart.

According to Spotrac, AK is under contract for 2018 before becoming an UFA in 2019. So, I guess that may preclude that the team at least keeps him around through next camp (and preseason?). 

And then that just leaves one decision left to be made about two guys, Long and Bergstrom. I'd say pick one. 

One of those two guys then competes with Roullier for the starter at center, in theory. Or they compete for the back-up position, if I could land a special talent in the draft, for example. But ultimately, if I could fill out the depth chart with better talent on the 1st team and 2nd team, then either Long/Berg could be cut at any point without losing our shirt, even if they had been given a contract in the Spring, only to be cut in July or August. Basically, you sign one in order to maintain the talent pool until you can actually better it with someone else.

I guess I'd be inclined to go S. Long since he's been here longer than Berg, he's been a starter here, was the starter for this season's opener, and he's younger than Berg. But, I'm going to watch Berg especially close these last few games. 

Any re-sign for Long, more than likely, gets a decent discount since he's coming off an injury.

But let me just throw one other idea out there for ya.

Just because we have Roullier under contract, and let's pretend they did as I suggest, and re-sign one of Long or Berg ... that doesn't preclude that I avoid o-line in the draft. No Sir. Myself, I still entertain it, even early on. For example, if that dude (pie in the sky) Quenton Nelson from Notre Damn is there for us in the mid-1st round, I'd give it serious thought about drafting him too. 

Yeah, Nelson is a LG. Yeah, I'd like to ideally play a guy at the same position he played in college. But, in similar vein to the strategy I promoted when advocating to draft Scherff and convert him from Tackle to Guard, before the 2015 draft, Nelson is just such a talent that you can plug anywhere along the interior in order to shore up a leaky hole and make it a bounty of positive return. 

Nelson is a pro-bowl interior lineman in the NFL, based on all I've seen. And his stature is such that ... like Spain, he's squat and has natural leverage that he is playing under guy's pads right from the snap. He can move in space, he can drive block, he gets after it. Just a nasty thought to have that in addition to what else is already there. 

It's time to dream BIG, gentlemen. 

So, essentially, in word form: You'd have a multi-pro bowler in Trent, fixed. Then next to him, a mid-20s potential pro bowler in Norwell, who adds size and toughness there above what we have now. Then a future interior pro bowler in Nelson playing at center, where he's adding size and strength to the position not too common for us, with the added bonus of talent and the ability to drive block people back, and pull and get out into space. Then our current pro bowler in Scherff at RG. Followed by Moses, who I admit is surprisingly better than I thought when he came into the league. I wasn't all that enamored with him pre-draft. But he's changed my view on him. I hope his ankles can survive. 

Add in the Swing Tackle in FA and we're in business with an, on paper, o-line that can challenge for best line in the league behind them "Boys."

Boom

So, working from left to right, giving the theoretical depth chart here on a "everything goes right and all falls into place" kind of scenario:

O-line :     LT                          LG                              C                                      RG                            RT

1st Team:    T. Williams            A. Norwell                   Q. Nelson (1st rd)              B. Scherff                 M. Moses 

2nd Team:   FA Swing OT           S. Long                       S. Long                            T. Catalina                FA Swing OT

3nd Team:   T. Catalina                                                C. Roullier                                                         T. Catalina 

That's just 9 guys.

Maybe one guy emerges from Kalis or Kouandjio, or some new dude, a walk-on, and you add that guy to the 3rd team LG / RG spot, for an even 10 guys. 

I won't go into which other 3 guys would be on the practice squad. I've never seen anything from the three guys currently on the PS, nor anything form the Kevin Bowen skyscrapper, who is on IR. 

You could switch the order of any of those back-ups based upon competition and who emerges. But essentially you've got 5 starters and then 4 backups or 5 backups on the final 53.  

................................................................................................................

This is the list of expiring contracts the team has for o-line:

PLAYER (5)
POS.
TO
2017 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Shawn Lauvao G 30 WAS TBD $4,250,000 UFA -
Tony Bergstrom C 31 WAS TBD $775,000 UFA -
Spencer Long C 27 WAS TBD $715,950 UFA -
Ty Nsekhe LT 32 WAS TBD $690,000 RFA -
Tyler Catalina T 24 WAS TBD $465,000 ERFA -

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I also checked the roster to see who actually is here. There's been so many changes and signings:

Active

# NAME  POS.  HT.  WT.  AGE  EXP.  COLLEGE
74 Rhaney, Demetrius   C 6-2 301  25  4 Tennessee State
73 Roullier, Chase   C 6-4 317  24 R  Wyoming
68 Catalina, Tyler      G   6-6 325  24  R    Georgia
67 Kalis, Kyle      G   6-4 302  23  R    Michigan
60 Kouandjio, Arie      G   6-5 316  25  3    Alabama
75 Scherff, Brandon      G   6-5 319  25  3    Iowa
66 Bergstrom, Tony     OL   6-5 315  31  6

Utah

76 Moses, Morgan        T    6-6 335  26   4   Virginia
79 Nsekhe, Ty        T    6-8 338  32   3   Texas State
71 Williams, Trent        T    6-5 320  29   8   Oklahoma

Reserve/Injured

# NAME         POS.  HT.  WT.  AGE  EXP.  COLLEGE
61 Long, Spencer         C 6-5 318  27   4   Nebraska
77 Lauvao, Shawn        G  6-3 308  30    8

Arizona State

69 Clemmings, T.J.       T  6-5  309  26    3    Pittsburgh
xx   Bowen, Kevin           T  6-9  346  24    1    East Central (OK)

Practice Squad

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP.  COLLEGE

60 Balducci, Alex OL 6-4 310  23 1  Oregon
78 Jefferson, Cameron OL 6-5 317  25 1  Arkansas
63 Kling, John OL 6-8 328  24 1  Buffalo

Sorry, long post. 

All good points Monk however I stand by what I said about Spain and Catalina, go back and watch the first Dallas game and watch catalina on the Rob Kelly TD despite his size his knees buckle upon contact with the Dallas DL and he's thrown to the ground!!! That was a trend I saw with him in the lineup always getting overpowered or knocked to the ground.

And even though Spain is a RFA signing him for me would depend on several things, because he was an UDFA what round tender does Tenn put on him, if it's not a 1 or 2 then I sign him and give up a 3 or anything higher? He's a very good starter who has played well at the NFL level and there's no guarantees on what or who the skins get in the draft plus he's from Petersburg VA.

Crowell from the Panther's is good as well but the same argument you make for why we couldn't/shouldn't go after Spain applies here as well plus I seem to remember when they played the Eagles Fletcher Cox and Tim Jernigan were pushing Carolina's interior back on runs and passes and since we have to see them twice a year I would prefer someone who can handle them. Not to mention having to see Snacks Harrison and Dalvin Tomlinson of the Giants twice a year.

And a good big man will beat a good little man most every time and I'd rather have a surefire starter while some of the current guys develop.

12 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

All good points Monk however I stand by what I said about Spain and Catalina,

And, at least recognize that Catalina was a collegiate Tackle who was inserted to play RG, the power guard, for Scherff. Tough task. 

12 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

And even though Spain is a RFA signing him for me would depend on several things, because he was an UDFA what round tender does Tenn put on him,

Uh, well if you were them what would you tender him? 

I suggested a 1st round tender. 

Let's pretend it is a 1st round tender, what do you say then? 

plus he's from Petersburg VA.

Yeah, I was going to exclude this observation from my very long post, but your original post on Spain did yell out homer, West Virginia or VA supporter. 

Who do you like from this year's Mountaineers squad? :)

Just jokin'. 

Crowell

Norwell. 

from the Panther's is good as well but the same argument you make for why we couldn't/shouldn't go after Spain applies here as well plus

Which argument? 

Norwell is unrestricted, Spain is restricted. What am I missing? 

I seem to remember when they played the Eagles Fletcher Cox and Tim Jernigan were pushing Carolina's interior back on runs and passes and since we have to see them twice a year I would prefer someone who can handle them.

The film is out there. I've looked at clips of it. I can even link you a highlight tape put on youtube which shows clips from the Eagles match-up. Eventually I'll get to gamepass and watch the whole thing. 

Like I said, Norwell gives ground into the pocket, but doesn't get bowled over. He consistantly re-sets his feet behind him and walls it off. From the clips I saw he never let Cox even touch Newton on pass-pro. 

And a good big man will beat a good little man most every time and I'd rather have a surefire starter while some of the current guys develop.

So, now here is where you google image Andrew Norwell and realize he's actually bigger than your boy Spain. I'll wait. 

And the after that, google Norwell's wiki and Carolina page and see that he's been a starter for 3 years consecutively now, and likewise is rated by independent football analysts as one of the Top 15 Guards in all of the NFL.

Like I said earlier, he looks like a pro bowl level Guard right now, to me. Don't be shocked if he is elected to the pro bowl this year. 

I'm not sure I understand your point here. It reads like you're unfamiliar with Norwell, completely. 

Like I said. I like Spain, but I doubt he's going to be available. I have other candidates I like for Guard too, beyond Norwell. I'll likely post them in the Free Agent thread when it pops up this weekend. Hopefully I'll see you there making a case for some others beyond Spain too. 

Alrighty. @skinsOLfan 

So, since you've brought up the Eagles numerous times and mentioned Fletcher Cox multiple times, while also indicting A. Norwell for an apparent lack of fortitude against said aforementioned parties (that said, I haven't yet had an opportunity to watch the Carolina v Eagles game), I felt it my due diligence to see if there was any film on your boy Spain against the Eagles, either from this year or last year. 

Unfortunately, no such luck. 

But I noticed that Tennessee, being in the AFC, has played the Steelers. And well, since Pittsburgh usually has decent and physical defenses and also since they are atop the AFC as the Eagles are atop the NFC, I felt it was an apt comparison. 

So, I'm in the process of watching the broadcast game footage as well as looking at the All-22. So far I've gotten through the 1st half. It's no different here for me, same process, as sitting down and grading out a guy, taking each play individually, assessing them in their own right, then assessing all the plays cumulatively.   

I'm watching Mr. Spain keenly to see if he held up physically in a way that demonstrably outshown Mr. Norwell. Or if there were any key plays which validated your previous statements upon Mr. Spain's abilities.  

Here are some video grabs I took of a few plays during the course of the 1st half. I might give a little blurb for each one in a future edit, but I think I'll just do a video/doc drop here and allow the tape to speak for itself. 

To be honest, I was actually quite a bit surprised to see Spain get driven back into the pocket and into his QB, Mariotta. Additionally, I saw him give up two sacks, get flagged for a holding penalty, another holding infraction was not called on an obvious take down, in that 1st half. And overall, he got his fanny whipped more than a couple times. 

And since I've read your posts a couple times to make sure I didn't get the wrong impression from what you wrote about Spain, I was damn near shocked that a man of Spain's Herculean description could get driven back like he was on roller skates, like he did. 

See for yourself:

Now despite the play resulting in a Touchdown, you can see Spain #67 at LG get hand-shivered back and driven backwards to Mariotta's drop-step point. The pocket collapses. It seemed Mariotta took off immediately after seeing the pressure. There was a CB blitz that came through the B-gap and ultimately flushed Mariotta. MM makes a nice individual play. But that was play number 1 that I noticed in the 1st quarter where I wanted to see if this was an aberration or a trend. 

To be honest, I didn't think Paul Bunyun could get moved backwards like that.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's where Mr. Spain is beaten with just a simple outside leverage bullrush. Spain gives ground, he ends up getting flagged for holding and ultimately gives up a sack. 

I've got a little concern at this point. I did tell myself that hey this is a Thursday night game, he might not be fully lathered up yet. But ...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I earmarked this play here because I've noticed this trend when watching Spain's tape against Arizona the other day.

When Spain gets out into space, he has a tendency to miss targets. And like here with this delayed screen, he gets overextended with his nose-over-his-toes and whiffs on the DB who makes initial contact w/ the RB and disrupts the play for a loss. A Linebacker comes to clean it up, but the DB submarined around Spain. 

That's not a huge indictment, the part about a DB avoiding contact, because that happens to virtually every o-lineman. But this play was something I've seen before, simply a missed target in the open field. Spain can be kind-of clunky in space, at times. 

Ultimately, at this point, I have no problem saying that Andrew Norwell is just more fluid and natural moving in space in comparison to Spain. 

Here's another pass-pro example where the legend of Spain's rock-like anchor is shown not to be accurate. Here he gets driven back, this time by #91, in a straight bullrush and backs Spain all the way to Mariotta. MM gets the ball out quickly by design of the play, so the pressure doesn't affect the pass.

This is an All-22 cut from a pulled back vantage point just so one can see the ground that Mr. Spain was giving up here on this standard bullrush:  

v

I mean, he's on roller skates here. All the way back to Mariotta.

So, when I read previous comments about his brickwall strength, seeing this just verifies one thing, dude is still human. No grand, overarching, indictment of the man, just that he's fallible like anyone else, not a mythical creature.

Here again Spain is just beat with strength on bullrush. No real move whatsoever, no real tug and rip, just maybe the slightest soft-shoulder lean, which frees #97 off of Spain. Spain is beat to the outside, he reaches and grabs #97 to hold him, Spain torques around him as #97 closes a quick loop. Spain falls to the ground and out of the picture for a second. Spain is credited with giving up at least a half-sack and a pressure as #97 meets his teammate at Mariotta's body. 

Not a good play for a guy with a suspect 1st half so far. 

This play doesn't scream all-pro or whatever cliche of 'big man' winning against 'small man.'

Spain just got plain beat. 

Here's just a stutter-step and two-handed shiver delivered with enough force that it pops Spain backward. Pause it at 3 seconds. Look at how off-balance Spain gets from the jolt. He gets his head way too far back, then he teeters forward too far in over compensation. That gets him off-balance again, only this time over his toes.

That's when the d-lineman shoots to Spain's inside. 

It allows the d-lineman to slip inside and drop his shoulder in order to get a step or two beyond Spain. And as you'll noticed Spain just in desperation tackles the guy to the ground. There was no penalty on the play. I assume because the ball came out so quickly and because maybe the play was obfuscated for the ref.

Anyway, Spain should have been called for holding. 

So, again. This was just the 1st half. I've yet to do the 2nd half.

What's more, the theory that Spain is just some physical beast ... yeah, No. At least not for this game. And the reason I chose this game was because I thought the criteria you selected for Norwell was to be against the most physical guys in the NFC east. 

Same standard here in the AFC north with the Steelers, a physical team. And so far Spain is getting his butt whooped.

Like I said, there some Splain'in to doo here for Spain. 

*In fairness I'm gonna finish the 2nd half and if Spain improves, I'll post it. I'll also watch the Norwell game vs the Eagles and see what I see. If he gets beat, I'll post that too. I will be fair and even. 

9 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I'll give you an unrestricted free agent o-lineman who I believe the Redskin should sign with priority, if he were to become available on March 14th, 2018.

Andrew Norwell from Carolina is playing at a Pro Bowl level. The [Left Guard] is playing 2017 on the one-year tender he was given as an RFA last offseason. He's set to be unrestricted this offseason. 

Let's see, he's got an active foot chop set-up in pass-pro. It's not a slide step, it's an active chop. Despite carrying good bulk he hasn't lost suddenness. I wouldn't necessarily call him twitchy. But he has a very committed redirection in pass-pro when rallying to support his tackle. He plays decisively on that front. But he also plays physically. He's an asset in the run game because he can actually drive block well. Additionally, due to his long legs, he can swing his hips around, 90 degrees, while latched with his hands up-top and seal a defender pretty effortlessly. Carolina uses him on pulling and trap plays. They trust his ability to create push on kick-outs. Don't worry, he's playing at 325+ lbs. People in the past have compared him to Alex Boone. 

From there, let me just hit a few quick things, big picture.

I disagree with you about Catalina. Not only does he meet the criteria you listed above as a quality you liked, size and weight threshold, but I believe he adds positional versatility to the roster for the back-up ranks. You might not have known this, but Catalina was a distinguished conference awarded Tackle at Rhode Island before transferring to Georgia where he also played Tackle. 

Let me tell you who I do think "shouldn't be on an NFL roster," TJ Clemmings. That dude straight up sucks. And what's more, he's been in the league for 3 or 4 years now. Dude is known. See the difference between that and an undrafted Rookie? 

Do not re-sign Lauvao.

I suggested Andrew Norwell 

I suggest we target a back-up Swing Tackle in free agency. Ty is scheduled to be a RFA, and quite honestly was a liability when he played. He also was injured. And he's 32 ... 

I do suggest we at least tender Catalina because he's an exclusive rights free agent and that is just easy money. [Competing for swing OT]

Kouandjio, while I liked him coming out of Bama for the mid-round value it seemed, he's never seemed to take hold of his spot on the roster or in the depth chart. I've been kind-of waiting for that moment for him to do something that would make me say, hey this guy could possibly start for us and be ok, let's keep him. But that's never happened. So, I kind-of disagree that he's shown anything that says his name is etched in stone here on the depth chart.

And then that just leaves one decision left to be made about two guys, Long and Bergstrom. I'd say pick one. 

One of those two guys then competes with Roullier for the starter at center, in theory. 

If that dude (pie in the sky) Quenton Nelson from Notre Damn is there for us in the mid-1st round, I'd give it serious thought about drafting him too. 

Yeah, Nelson is a LG. Yeah, I'd like to ideally play a guy at the same position he played in college. But, in similar vein to the strategy I promoted when advocating to draft Scherff and convert him from Tackle to Guard, before the 2015 draft, Nelson is just such a talent that you can plug anywhere along the interior in order to shore up a leaky hole and make it a bounty of positive return. 

It's time to dream BIG, gentlemen. 

So, essentially, in word form: You'd have a multi-pro bowler in Trent, fixed. Then next to him, a mid-20s potential pro bowler in Norwell, who adds size and toughness there above what we have now. Then a future interior pro bowler in Nelson playing at center, where he's adding size and strength to the position not too common for us, with the added bonus of talent and the ability to drive block people back, and pull and get out into space. Then our current pro bowler in Scherff at RG. Followed by Moses, who I admit is surprisingly better than I thought when he came into the league. I wasn't all that enamored with him pre-draft. But he's changed my view on him. I hope his ankles can survive. 

Add in the Swing Tackle in FA and we're in business with an, on paper, o-line that can challenge for best line in the league behind them "Boys."

Boom

So, working from left to right, giving the theoretical depth chart here on a "everything goes right and all falls into place" kind of scenario:

O-line :     LT                          LG                              C                                      RG                            RT

1st Team:    T. Williams            A. Norwell                   Q. Nelson (1st rd)              B. Scherff                 M. Moses 

2nd Team:   FA Swing OT           S. Long                       S. Long                            T. Catalina                FA Swing OT

3nd Team:   T. Catalina                                                C. Roullier                                                         T. Catalina 

That's just 9 guys.

Maybe one guy emerges from Kalis or Kouandjio, or some new dude, a walk-on, and you add that guy to the 3rd team LG / RG spot, for an even 10 guys. 

I won't go into which other 3 guys would be on the practice squad. I've never seen anything from the three guys currently on the PS, nor anything form the Kevin Bowen skyscrapper, who is on IR. 

You could switch the order of any of those back-ups based upon competition and who emerges. But essentially you've got 5 starters and then 4 backups or 5 backups on the final 53.  

................................................................................................................

This is the list of expiring contracts the team has for o-line:

PLAYER (5)
POS.
TO
2017 AAV
STATUS
MARKET VALUE
Shawn Lauvao G 30 WAS TBD $4,250,000 UFA -
Tony Bergstrom C 31 WAS TBD $775,000 UFA -
Spencer Long C 27 WAS TBD $715,950 UFA -
Ty Nsekhe LT 32 WAS TBD $690,000 RFA -
Tyler Catalina T 24 WAS TBD $465,000 ERFA -

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I also checked the roster to see who actually is here. There's been so many changes and signings:

Active

# NAME  POS.  HT.  WT.  AGE  EXP.  COLLEGE
74 Rhaney, Demetrius   C 6-2 301  25  4 Tennessee State
73 Roullier, Chase   C 6-4 317  24 R  Wyoming
68 Catalina, Tyler      G   6-6 325  24  R    Georgia
67 Kalis, Kyle      G   6-4 302  23  R    Michigan
60 Kouandjio, Arie      G   6-5 316  25  3    Alabama
75 Scherff, Brandon      G   6-5 319  25  3    Iowa
66 Bergstrom, Tony     OL   6-5 315  31  6

Utah

76 Moses, Morgan        T    6-6 335  26   4   Virginia
79 Nsekhe, Ty        T    6-8 338  32   3   Texas State
71 Williams, Trent        T    6-5 320  29   8   Oklahoma

Reserve/Injured

# NAME         POS.  HT.  WT.  AGE  EXP.  COLLEGE
61 Long, Spencer         C 6-5 318  27   4   Nebraska
77 Lauvao, Shawn        G  6-3 308  30    8

Arizona State

69 Clemmings, T.J.       T  6-5  309  26    3    Pittsburgh
xx   Bowen, Kevin           T  6-9  346  24    1    East Central (OK)

Practice Squad

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP.  COLLEGE

60 Balducci, Alex OL 6-4 310  23 1  Oregon
78 Jefferson, Cameron OL 6-5 317  25 1  Arkansas
63 Kling, John OL 6-8 328  24 1  Buffalo

Sorry, long post. 

That mega post wasn't readable. I made it readable for myself, in case others feel inclined to figure out what was said in his own words more concisely.

Archived