Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2018 at 12:01 AM, Hersh said:

No words. Where is @DC9

Been a weird spring/early summer for me.

My mom passed away out of nowhere in early April and this team did everything they could to get me through it and I'll never forget it.  I told myself after the run that I was going to unplug a bit for the summer and spend more time with my family.  Since Liverpool and the Redskins are picking back up my wife is pushing me to do more things that give me joy (like - investing in things that I can't control, haha).

This was so amazing.  I've probably re-watched game five no less than 20 times with my kids.

Sorry I'm late on the get back and that I've gone dark without saying anything.

3 hours ago, DC9 said:

Been a weird spring/early summer for me.

My mom passed away out of nowhere in early April and this team did everything they could to get me through it and I'll never forget it.  I told myself after the run that I was going to unplug a bit for the summer and spend more time with my family.  Since Liverpool and the Redskins are picking back up my wife is pushing me to do more things that give me joy (like - investing in things that I can't control, haha).

This was so amazing.  I've probably re-watched game five no less than 20 times with my kids.

Sorry I'm late on the get back and that I've gone dark without saying anything.

Really sorry to hear about your mom. Don’t blame you from being away from the time suck that the internet has become.

At least the Caps did you right when you needed it in life. Of course now we don’t have anything to complain about this summer. 

Everyday I make it a point to watch at least one video clip of the playoff run. Today it was Eller's game winner. No, not the Cup game winner, but the game winner vs. the Jackets in Game 3. To me that goal doesn't get talked about enough. It saved the entire Cup run. Its right up there with Holtby's save and Kuzy's Penguin Killer. Its basically our version of Dave Roberts stealing 2nd against the Yankees in Game 4 of the 04 ALCS.

On 7/29/2018 at 2:49 PM, Hersh said:

Really sorry to hear about your mom. Don’t blame you from being away from the time suck that the internet has become.

At least the Caps did you right when you needed it in life. Of course now we don’t have anything to complain about this summer. 

Thanks, man.  Got some time in NC next week but the days are full.  Really hoping to get some time on the ice at Bragg.  Even if it's just an hour pick up game.  One of my boys from Alaska is down there now so we'll probably get an early (like 5:30 am early) skate in before I have to teach classes all day.

I'm pretty happy with the summer.  GMBM played that Orpik trade like a ****ing fiddle.  He's important to the development of dudes like Bowey - who has all of the potential in the world and literally couldn't be worse than last year.  But have a dude like 44 available, for some breathers for the youngins - is invaluable.  At that cost it'll be hard to complain about him.

Where do you see back up goalie going?  Copley or the Russian?

On 7/29/2018 at 7:33 PM, ixcuincle said:

Saw a very good license plate today. TKSTed with the CAps logo. 

Thanks Ted indeed. And people here criticized him as a bad owner. :rofl89:

I think we have the ability to compartmentalize the fact that he's won a Cup with him making bad decisions.  They certainly are easier to digest and he gets a little more rope. 

I mean - Irsay is an awful owner.  He also only won one with Peyton  Manning.  Read that twice before responding. 

On 7/29/2018 at 11:32 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

This is fun.  Good friend of mine.

http://dcrefined.com/city-living/ruffined-spotlight-oven-chicken-is-the-caps-good-luck-charm

Kind of a strange layout to the site.  You have to turn on captions and swipe the pics to get the story.

I didn't do anything crazy this year superstition-wise.  I say crazy relatively, but I wouldn't watch the third period of games anywhere but my room.  I would watch the first two out in the living room, but during the second intermission I'd always relocate.

That's a massive upgrade for me.  No weird lifting or running routines or color combinations.

15 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Oh yeah? What exactly has Ted done that makes him a bad owner? 

He stays out of hockey decisions. That's all we need. 

Do you want to start with the person - assaulting a fan at (then) MCI Center or the owner - him giving McPhee cart blance on the organization and wasting several years of Ovechkin/trading one of the best centers in the league for a winger who played 8 games and an undersized goon/his propensity to not address negatives or spend money.

All I am saying is it worked out this time - and that gives him some rope.  He's not a great owner.  Look at the Wizards.  He is hesitant to make a move even when **** looks awful.

I think he's okay.  He's not great.  I'm glad he won a cup.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

Do you want to start with the person - assaulting a fan at (then) MCI Center or the owner - him giving McPhee cart blance on the organization and wasting several years of Ovechkin/trading one of the best centers in the league for a winger who played 8 games and an undersized goon/his propensity to not address negatives or spend money.

All I am saying is it worked out this time - and that gives him some rope.  He's not a great owner.  Look at the Wizards.  He is hesitant to make a move even when **** looks awful.

I think he's okay.  He's not great.  I'm glad he won a cup.

In fairness, McPhee built up about 90% of the team, and did so skillfully. Kuznetsov was a McPhee pick, a late first rounder; if he were drafted today, he would go in  the top 5 easy. Wilson was another McPhee pick that everyone questioned at the time but who has paid off in spades since then; Braden Holtby, John Carlson, and so on and so forth. All clever picks by McPhee. 

The problem with McPhee was that while he could build a contender, he couldn't build a champion; that is to say he didn't have the guts to make the costly moves necessary to build a champion (ie. trading away the Caps young players for established stars to get them over the hump). He also panicked when his job was on the line (ie. the Forseberg trade). Maclellan obviously learned directly from McPhee's mistakes, because he went on to make every move that McPhee would have never made (ie. hiring Trotz, getting Oshie, Williams and Niskanen, etc)

So giving McPhee "carte blanche" was not a mistake, in fact it was good move, at least INITIALLY. McPhee is a master of building team from the ground up with clever drafting and careful asset management (After all, he's done the same in Vegas as he did in Washington). But like a talented but ultimately unsuccessful goal scorer, Mcphee just can't finish. Leonsis mistake was holding on to him too long. Ted should have fired him the moment he made the Forsberg trade.  

Archived