Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1980?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1980?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1980?

• The Empire Strikes Back
    • 9 to 5
    • Stir Crazy
    • Airplane!
    • Any Which Way You Can
    • Private Benjamin
    • The Blue Lagoon
    • The Blues Brothers
    • Ordinary People
    • Popeye
    • The Shining
    • Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
    • Caddyshack
    • Friday the 13th
    • Flash Gordon
    • Raging Bull
    • Other

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Easily The Empire Strikes Back. 9 to 5 is a close second. But it's easier to say what I didn't like from the list.

The horror movies.

The Shining

Friday the 13th

Flash Gordon was a hoot!

Loved the rest too

I recognize that Empire Strikes Back is an iconic film, but I just don't share the same love for it.  Raging Bull is a classic.

Empire, Caddyshack, The Shining, Airplane, Next Movie and Flash Gordon are all-timers.  I've watched each of those at least 40-50 times.  So, I'll vote for the worst movie of 1980...which I've also watched several dozen times.  

Behold The Apple!  A classic tale of good and evil with glam-disco Adam and Eve leading the apostles to the burning bush.  Really, the best bad movie ever if you were teenage music nerd in 1983.  I really can't recommend it enough and I'm forever astounded that it never became a full-blown cult phenomenon.

Just now, China said:

Wait, why isn't Coal Miner's Daughter on the list?  Sissy Spacek won the Best Actress Oscar for that movie.

Yeah, I almost included it, but Friday the 13th edged it out.  There is an "other" option.

We didn't go to movies then, so I didn't see anything I mentioned until adult life. 

As you all probably know, I'm more of a sports person...probably why I'm posting on a sports message board  :blink:

edit, add: ok, it's mostly politics in the off-season...but I just don't do that many movies.

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

We didn't go to movies then, so I didn't see anything I mentioned until adult life. 

As you all probably know, I'm more of a sports person...probably why I'm posting on a sports message board  :blink:

edit, add: ok, it's mostly politics in the off-season...but I just don't do that many movies.

This is the tailgate forum where people can post miscellaneous topics.  For some, a topic about movies might be an acceptable change from the heavier political topics.

I counted four on the list that I remember seeing in the theater when they came out, but it's Empire by a mile.

As of now there's two on the list that I still haven't seen.

Ordinary People and Popeye.

Some other films from that year:

Elephant Man

Altered States

The Big Red One

Just now, Spearfeather said:

I counted four on the list that I remember seeing in the theater when they came out, but it's Empire by a mile.

As of now there's two on the list that I still haven't seen.

Ordinary People and Popeye.

I have only seen parts of Ordinary people.  It looked very depressing. 

Popeye is a great movie for kids who grew up watching the cartoon.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I could easily make the case that The Shining is the greatest movie of all time.  But I won't...for now.

So if it's so easy to make that case, why not just lay it down for all of us?  I wanna hear it.  

I don't really get scared at scary movies that much.  They aren't really something that I enjoy that much to begin with.  I mean if I'm with friends and it's something they want to watch, that's cool.  They're good for a date.  But mostly, I'm just not that interested.

But I swear to Christ The Shining is the number one scariest movie of all time.  I can't watch it with the lights off.  Hell, I can't sleep with the lights off after watching it.  I DON'T watch it anymore.  That movie scares the living **** out of me.

Because it can provoke such a strong reaction, especially from a genre that I just don't care to about to begin with, you can make that case.  For sure.  I can't think of another movie that provokes such a strong emotional (any emotion) response from me.  

Archived