Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 15, 2017

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed unrestricted free agent defensive lineman Ziggy Hood and exclusive rights free agent tackle Vinston Painter. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Hood (6-3, 305) has appeared in 114 career regular season games with 60 starts since entering the league as a first-round pick (32nd overall) of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2009 NFL Draft. For his career, Hood has recorded 197 tackles (124 solo), 13.5 sacks, 10 passes defensed, one forced fumble and five fumbles recovered.

Last season, Hood appeared in all 16 games with 14 starts in his debut season with the Redskins. He posted 23 tackles (17 solo), one sack, one forced fumble and led all Redskins defensive linemen with three passes defensed.

Hood, 30, played collegiately at Missouri after attending Palo Duro H.S. in Amarillo, Texas.

Painter (6-4, 322) has appeared in eight career regular season games since entering the NFL as a sixth-round pick (173rd overall) of the Denver Broncos in the 2013 NFL Draft. Last season, he appeared in five games for Washington after joining the team via waiver claim in the preseason.

Painter, 27, played collegiately at Virginia Tech after attending Maury H.S. in Norfolk, Va.

-REDSKINS-

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 15, 2017

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va.  The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins released the following player:

DE Ricky Jean Francois

Just now, Burgold said:

Thought Hood was one of our positives last year? Was he out of position and abused a lot?

He got stuck at NT, when he is a natural 3-4 DE. I think he gave good effort, but he wasn't put in a position to be effective. I like Ziggy, and I really like how he uses his hands, but he was outmatched at NT last year. I think he COULD be a upgrade if he plays DE. I think he's better than a JAG there, but he was definitely a JAG at NT. But, like I said, I like him as a player, not everyone agrees with that.

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

March 15, 2017

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va.  The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

DE Ricky Jean Francois

7 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Sounds like McClain will be the NT. 

So right now it appears the starters would be Hood/McClain/McGee with Ionnadis/Taylor/Lanier as backups 

There is no word for the idea of that as a starting unit, aside from terrifying. In addition to absolutely zero DL generated pass rush, that group could give up more YPC against the run than last year'a historically inept unit. There must be more in the works. Hopefully an unsuspected, significant FA addition, and maybe a stout against the run DT on day 2  of the draft (Tomlinson, J. Johnson)? 

11 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Sounds like McClain will be the NT. 

So right now it appears the starters would be Hood/McClain/McGee with Ionnadis/Taylor/Lanier as backups 

That would be a disaster. As it is, our only hope is that Taylor comes back healthy and plays like he did his rookie year with the Browns. McClain at NT might be worse than Hood.

4 hours ago, Broken TK said:

DE Ricky Jean Francois

Why?

One speculative reason

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/15/criticism-from-ricky-jean-francois-may-have-contributed-to-his-release/

8 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Good to know but still why

This is from Keim:

"...if they want to free up more cash for more signings, it wouldn’t be difficult and would mostly involve two players.

DE Ricky Jean Francois. They could create another $3 million in cap space by releasing Jean Francois. With two newcomers along the line and a desire to develop some of their younger linemen, Jean Francois becomes expendable – and a costly backup with a $4 million cap hit."

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

This is from Keim:

"...if they want to free up more cash for more signings, it wouldn’t be difficult and would mostly involve two players.

DE Ricky Jean Francois. They could create another $3 million in cap space by releasing Jean Francois. With two newcomers along the line and a desire to develop some of their younger linemen, Jean Francois becomes expendable – and a costly backup with a $4 million cap hit."

Thank you. I saw on spotrac that he only had a cap hit of a million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/

Confused me, Keim didn't run with that unless true. Makes sense

6 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Thank you. I saw on spotrak that he only had a cap hit of a million

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/

Confused me, Keim didn't run with that unless true. 

Sportrak may have been confused and meant he would still have a cap hit of $1 mil after being released?...

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

He got stuck at NT, when he is a natural 3-4 DE. I think he gave good effort, but he wasn't put in a position to be effective. I like Ziggy, and I really like how he uses his hands, but he was outmatched at NT last year. I think he COULD be a upgrade if he plays DE. I think he's better than a JAG there, but he was definitely a JAG at NT. But, like I said, I like him as a player, not everyone agrees with that.

He looked like a steal during preseason and even to start the year until he was forced inside. The problem is, he might still be forced to play a lot inside as it stands now as we don't have a clear cut stud at DT/NT. 

I was really hoping we'd go all out on the Dline so we can approach the draft with an extreme BPA approach... but that's not looking good right now. 

I am really, really high on Lanier though. That's my guy. Might have a stud there if he takes a step this offseason, but he's another outside guy. 

12 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

He looked like a steal during preseason and even to start the year until he was forced inside. The problem is, he might still be forced to play a lot inside as it stands now as we don't have a clear cut stud at DT/NT. 

I was really hoping we'd go all out on the Dline so we can approach the draft with an extreme BPA approach... but that's not looking good right now. 

I am really, really high on Lanier though. That's my guy. Might have a stud there if he takes a step this offseason, but he's another outside guy. 

Taylor is a true NT and former 1st round pick. 

Health and motivation will be the big issues with him. 

Archived