Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USGS Admits that Fracking Causes Earthquakes

LadySkinsFan

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Yeah, we knew that.

Let's not be judgmental, apparently a bunch of people don't know that...Stroker lives in OK, keeps complaining about earthquakes...but every time I say "fracking", I get crickets...*nothing against Stroker, you gotta be where you gotta do, LOL*

So guess which govt agency will be getting defunded next? Ahhh, USGS, you were fun while ya lasted.................

I'm sure that Pruitt will be issuing a press release declaring this to be "fake news" later today, as soon as those motherfrackers that own him get it typed up

Not that I disagree, but the article posted is a bit sensational.  Reading the cited web page ( https://www.usgs.gov/news/new-usgs-maps-identify-potential-ground-shaking-hazards-2017 ), it doesn't say anywhere on it that fracking causes earthquakes.

To me, this is no better than a Breitbart article that makes sensationalist claims and then links to an article that doesn't actually verify those claims.

Truth in reporting, folks.  Cmon.

Use your common sense. Fracking breaks up bedrock, destabilizing the Earth. Also, on a different oil industry practice, pumping out oil creates a void in the Earth, so the Earth collapses to fill the void.

In an entirely different industry, pumping water out of aquifers creates sinkholes because water is not replaced fast enough.

Corporations are ruining the Earth.

43 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Use your common sense. Fracking breaks up bedrock, destabilizing the Earth. Also, on a different oil industry practice, pumping out oil creates a void in the Earth, so the Earth collapses to fill the void.

In an entirely different industry, pumping water out of aquifers creates sinkholes because water is not replaced fast enough.

Did you just use the "common sense" to justify posting a sensationalized article?  When anti-GW folks say it is "common sense" that sensors that used to be in fields are now on asphault which is causing the rise in temps and not climate change, how would you respond?

37 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

OK...I worked in a big fracking area doing 3rd party testing...

So..as a completely neutral person in this and have seen the data BEFORE environmental and the companies themselves got it and provided whatever spin they wanted.

I agree that it will probably cause some earthquakes...in my years in the fracking area (Williamsport, PA which was only 2-3 years, I experienced zero earthquakes...but could happen.

Voids left by pumping out gas and oil? Nope...no voids. Its all back filled. However, I do think that since densities are different of what they pull out and what they put back in there will be some issues...see earthquake issue.

Water Contamination...not nearly as much as you would think. In fact, in the Amish country, and in the more rural areas, the fracking actually had a positive impact. They had never tested their water before the fracking...there was soooo much e. coli and methane/ethane contaminated water before an area was fracked. In fact, the biggest issues I did see where the old wells that were drilled a long time ago before fracking.

There was also 1 major spill that occurred when I was there, but that was due to negligence on 1 persons part...not the fracking.

Now, am I saying that its completely safe? Nope, I don't have all the data of every area that is being fracked. But I can say that in the Commonwealth of PA, in my 2-3 years of being there. It was extremely regulated and was not the boogeyman that people like to make it out to be.

Aquifers...seriously gonna blame corporations for that one and not population in general?

The title of the article posted is sensational - seeing as how they don't have a quote from the USGS matching it's (the article's) claim.  However, the USGS did find that 1) wastewater injection is causing a large increase in seismic activity, and 2) even not injecting the wastewater can cause/increase seismic activity.  

I don't know if it's all that different from claiming cars don't cause pollution, but rather the emissions from gas powered cars significantly increases pollution.  

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

Sad that the earthquakes are just one problem and I'm not sure we'll get much further on studying the adverse potentially/likely related effects (poisoning and pollution) if the science is stymied through law or budget cuts.  

Happy to be corrected on any of the above.  

Edit: @Xameil https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2017/02/18/pennsylvania-confirms-first-fracking-related-earthquakes/

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The title of the article posted is sensational - seeing as how they don't have a quote from the USGS matching it's (the article's) claim.  However, the USGS did find that 1) wastewater injection is causing a large increase in seismic activity, and 2) even not injecting the wastewater can cause/increase seismic activity.  

I don't know if it's all that different from claiming cars don't cause pollution, but rather the emissions from gas powered cars significantly increases pollution.  

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

Sad that the earthquakes are just one problem and I'm not sure we'll get much further on studying the adverse potentially/likely related effects (poisoning and pollution) if the science is stymied through law or budget cuts.  

Happy to be corrected on any of the above.  

Edit: @Xameil https://stateimpact.npr.org/pennsylvania/2017/02/18/pennsylvania-confirms-first-fracking-related-earthquakes/

Well...as I said...it could and probably will cause earthquakes..I just said none happened while I was there ;)

Archived