Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Washington Nationals: Wash, Rinse, Repeat

@DCGoldPants

I think there is a better than 33% chance they extend Bryce before next season. The wild stuff Boras said about him and his value to a franchise overall sounds crazy....but it's not that far off. He does put butts in seats and sells jerseys. He needs to be hurt or truly awful to not be an all-star. Pretty soon he's going to be the Captain of the team. Maybe even this year.

I think they should just do it. Get a crazy expensive deal done. Lock him up for the next decade + and keep drafting/developing well. 

26 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I think there is a better than 33% chance they extend Bryce before next season. The wild stuff Boras said about him and his value to a franchise overall sounds crazy....but it's not that far off. He does put butts in seats and sells jerseys. He needs to be hurt or truly awful to not be an all-star. Pretty soon he's going to be the Captain of the team. Maybe even this year.

I think they should just do it. Get a crazy expensive deal done. Lock him up for the next decade + and keep drafting/developing well. 

I agree (it's not my money).  Harper checks all the boxes of "superstar" and we are losing Ovi soon.  He makes the team relevant for as long as he's around.  DC loves him.  Pairing him with Rendon and the Scherzer/Stransburg pitching duo (that is already locked up through at least 2020 (Stras has an opt out)) would make the team a perennial playoff team. 

Harper has the intangibles that even Ovi never had when it comes to leading. He's is an active leader. He tries to fire up the other guys in the dugout. With Werth gone and Zimm being a more quiet lead by example guy. Harper has been in the league long enough now to take over that spot. Not sure who else has the personality to do it. Zimm? nope. Rendon? nope. Max is a Bulldog but Pitchers aren't team Captains. 

It's his team now. Overpay him. Don't get cute expecting some discount. Hell, put a C on his jersey for all I can. You're not going to get a player who dogs it. If his body holds up. You have a guy who is going to be great for a long time. 

Archived