Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

AsburySkinsFan

Been a long hot summer!! First stick in nearly a month, so I broke out my "anniversary cigar."

Opus X Belicoso

Opus X Belicoso

Opus X Belicoso very well constructed. Prelight: smells delicious, oak and cedar, very fresh and rich like fresh cut boards. This stick was consistent start to finish with predominant creaminess, oak, cedar, and almonds/cashews. High quality rich flavors throughout. I didn't pick up any transitions, the focus here is on the top quality flavors and consistency. A fine stick to be sure, glad I got it for nearly HALF the online price.

Reflections: 

Opus is a great stick, I put it up there is the Davidoffs in terms of quality. It reminds me of the Cuban style sticks, focused on consistency and high quality. It's a purist cigar. From start to finish, the notes it hits are perfect pitch, it's an hour and a half of a singular beautiful chord. We live in a compare/contrast world and I'm tempted to say what this cigar isn't. But instead, this cigar is a fine aged steak, when you want a top quality steak there are certain expectations, tenderness, flavor, juiciness, aroma, and cooking execution. You don't approach a steak like a roller coaster. You eat a fine steak because of the luxury that it is. 

That's what the Opus X is.

• 2 months later...

Geeze it’s been too long!!!

Had a crazy day so I seriously needed some doen time with a nice fire in the chimenea and a smoke.

El Centurion H-2K-CT

A fine smoke, not world changing but enjoyable and IMO top shelf worthy. Creamy oaky cedar, mild spice on the tongue at first that mellows. Medium-full bodied, fairly consistent throughout. Strength was a bit higher but that could be due tonthe fact that it’s been a couple of months since I’ve had a cigar (soccer season!!)

37936149371_5177187d70_b.jpg

Had a Padron 50th Anniversary paired with some GTS a couple weeks ago.  THE BEST non cuban cigar I've ever smoked, I aged them in the humidor for a year.  These are definitely special occasion smokes, I will be getting a few more to age.  

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

• 4 months later...

Finally a night warm enough to be able to enjoy a smoke. Man, I needed this. A good stick to get back on the saddle with.

UnderCrown Shade gran toro 152x52 by Drew Estate beautifully paired with Weller Antique 107 

A beautiful creamy light smoke with plenty of cedar and oakiness that finishes with a mild spice. Burn is exceptional with a razor sharp line throughout. 

The Weller...well there’s a reason it is my favorite bourbon. Smooth as silk, caramels with a burst of vanilla as you swallow.

40870594211_1f2d8f113d_b.jpg

BTW...GO BIG BLUE!! My Ol’ Kentucky Home!

30 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’ve only had one Liga, it wasn’t memorable to me.

I had a Privada T52 (I think) that was very good, and the maduro Undercrowns are very good. I'm a really big, big fan of the Herra Esteli lines--I had a TAA that was insanely good, and the Nortenos are one of my daily smokes.

• 3 weeks later...
40507028504_e363468f12_b.jpg

41176968392_86f83abfdd_b.jpg

41176968302_b8ca5f02d5_b.jpg

Cigar of the Day: “Long Live the King” not a bad start to the first morning of my man-cation. I also love the healthy dose of irony of the “no smoking” sign on the designated smoking deck. After this I sent a couple pounds of lead down range playing with my new rifle. Then went trail riding with my son on a side-by-side and a quad.

You found one of the best lines of cigars--I love Caldwell smokes. They also make "The King is Dead" and the "Midnight Express" which are fabulous. And JR Cigars has 5-packs of the Midnight Express WAY underpriced. They're typically $12-14 a stick, they have them priced at $34.50 for 5!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I found an inexpensive stick to keep on hand for any newbies who might want to try a cigar. 

Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial rothchilde. A good well-balanced and expensive cigar, leather tobacco with some sweetness, ample smoke production. Nice even burn that ashed in the second third.

41988709871_212f7326f9_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

28449373638_b08d31c5d0_b.jpg

Cigar Of The Day: Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ toro

This cigar was made for me!! I fully admit that I bought it for sentimental reasons, my initials are JJ, but I trust the Garcia family cigars and they did not disappoint.

A truly excellent morning cigar. Light/Medium body with plenty of smoke production; leather, coffee, fresh bread, undertones of mild savory cooking spices and a mild sweetness that balances beautifully. Construction is on point with a perfectly regulated draw. The nearly white ash cone self ashed at each third as if on queue and the burn is wonderfully consistent. Strength mild-medium.

28449730668_b1eed6455e_b.jpg

42367430711_13926c2cf0_b.jpg

Don Pepin Original

Cedar, oakiness, subtle molasses undertones, with a mild black pepper finish. Well construction is per the norm  with the Garcia brand and this one did not disappoint, excellent draw and plenty of smoke on a gentle draw. Burn got a little wavy but self corrected.

• 1 month later...
43126751532_8b1009e74a_b.jpg

I could live like this. Nat Sherman Timeless 556. 
Leather, coffee, tree nuts, mild black pepper finish. Smoothens out into a nice leathery coffee smoke. Perfect with the salty air and my morning coffee. Bit of a wonky burn but nothing fatal, draw was tight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had a very nice La Flor Dominicana today on my drive to go see the parents.  

You guys might want to look for a brand called Cuban Rejects.  No band on them, and they're dirt cheap but they're really smooth.  Here's a fair writeup:  http://cigarmoose.blogspot.com/2012/11/cuban-rejects-review.html

The local shop here can't keep them in stock.  I usually get them if I have a road trip ahead of me.  I've found smoking a cigar is a surefire way to stay awake during a long drive.

Archived