AsburySkinsFan

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

Been a long hot summer!! First stick in nearly a month, so I broke out my "anniversary cigar."

Opus X Belicoso

Opus X Belicoso

Opus X Belicoso very well constructed. Prelight: smells delicious, oak and cedar, very fresh and rich like fresh cut boards. This stick was consistent start to finish with predominant creaminess, oak, cedar, and almonds/cashews. High quality rich flavors throughout. I didn't pick up any transitions, the focus here is on the top quality flavors and consistency. A fine stick to be sure, glad I got it for nearly HALF the online price.

Reflections: 

Opus is a great stick, I put it up there is the Davidoffs in terms of quality. It reminds me of the Cuban style sticks, focused on consistency and high quality. It's a purist cigar. From start to finish, the notes it hits are perfect pitch, it's an hour and a half of a singular beautiful chord. We live in a compare/contrast world and I'm tempted to say what this cigar isn't. But instead, this cigar is a fine aged steak, when you want a top quality steak there are certain expectations, tenderness, flavor, juiciness, aroma, and cooking execution. You don't approach a steak like a roller coaster. You eat a fine steak because of the luxury that it is. 

That's what the Opus X is.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

Geeze it’s been too long!!!

Had a crazy day so I seriously needed some doen time with a nice fire in the chimenea and a smoke.

El Centurion H-2K-CT

A fine smoke, not world changing but enjoyable and IMO top shelf worthy. Creamy oaky cedar, mild spice on the tongue at first that mellows. Medium-full bodied, fairly consistent throughout. Strength was a bit higher but that could be due tonthe fact that it’s been a couple of months since I’ve had a cigar (soccer season!!)

37936149371_5177187d70_b.jpg

• Like 1

Had a Padron 50th Anniversary paired with some GTS a couple weeks ago.  THE BEST non cuban cigar I've ever smoked, I aged them in the humidor for a year.  These are definitely special occasion smokes, I will be getting a few more to age.  

IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

• Like 1

Finally a night warm enough to be able to enjoy a smoke. Man, I needed this. A good stick to get back on the saddle with.

UnderCrown Shade gran toro 152x52 by Drew Estate beautifully paired with Weller Antique 107 

A beautiful creamy light smoke with plenty of cedar and oakiness that finishes with a mild spice. Burn is exceptional with a razor sharp line throughout. 

The Weller...well there’s a reason it is my favorite bourbon. Smooth as silk, caramels with a burst of vanilla as you swallow.

40870594211_1f2d8f113d_b.jpg

BTW...GO BIG BLUE!! My Ol’ Kentucky Home!

I've become a big fan of the Drew Estates cigars, especially the Liga line (Privada and Undercrown) and the Norteño.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I've become a big fan of the Drew Estates cigars, especially the Liga line (Privada and Undercrown) and the Norteño.

I’ve only had one Liga, it wasn’t memorable to me.

30 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’ve only had one Liga, it wasn’t memorable to me.

I had a Privada T52 (I think) that was very good, and the maduro Undercrowns are very good. I'm a really big, big fan of the Herra Esteli lines--I had a TAA that was insanely good, and the Nortenos are one of my daily smokes.

• Like 1

40507028504_e363468f12_b.jpg

41176968392_86f83abfdd_b.jpg

41176968302_b8ca5f02d5_b.jpg

Cigar of the Day: “Long Live the King” not a bad start to the first morning of my man-cation. I also love the healthy dose of irony of the “no smoking” sign on the designated smoking deck. After this I sent a couple pounds of lead down range playing with my new rifle. Then went trail riding with my son on a side-by-side and a quad.

• Like 2

any recommendations for a smoker friendly hotel in the San Diego area, preferably waterfront/beach ?

You found one of the best lines of cigars--I love Caldwell smokes. They also make "The King is Dead" and the "Midnight Express" which are fabulous. And JR Cigars has 5-packs of the Midnight Express WAY underpriced. They're typically $12-14 a stick, they have them priced at $34.50 for 5!

• Like 1

I think I found an inexpensive stick to keep on hand for any newbies who might want to try a cigar. 

Saint Luis Rey Reserva Especial rothchilde. A good well-balanced and expensive cigar, leather tobacco with some sweetness, ample smoke production. Nice even burn that ashed in the second third.

41988709871_212f7326f9_b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

28449373638_b08d31c5d0_b.jpg

Cigar Of The Day: Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ toro

This cigar was made for me!! I fully admit that I bought it for sentimental reasons, my initials are JJ, but I trust the Garcia family cigars and they did not disappoint.

A truly excellent morning cigar. Light/Medium body with plenty of smoke production; leather, coffee, fresh bread, undertones of mild savory cooking spices and a mild sweetness that balances beautifully. Construction is on point with a perfectly regulated draw. The nearly white ash cone self ashed at each third as if on queue and the burn is wonderfully consistent. Strength mild-medium.

28449730668_b1eed6455e_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

42367430711_13926c2cf0_b.jpg

Don Pepin Original

Cedar, oakiness, subtle molasses undertones, with a mild black pepper finish. Well construction is per the norm  with the Garcia brand and this one did not disappoint, excellent draw and plenty of smoke on a gentle draw. Burn got a little wavy but self corrected.

43126751532_8b1009e74a_b.jpg

I could live like this. Nat Sherman Timeless 556. 
Leather, coffee, tree nuts, mild black pepper finish. Smoothens out into a nice leathery coffee smoke. Perfect with the salty air and my morning coffee. Bit of a wonky burn but nothing fatal, draw was tight.