Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Smoking Room (cigar smoker's thread)

AsburySkinsFan

6 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That's insane, they are forcing the importation and online sales this the only people they are hurting are the B&M shops. But then again that's probably the point.

Yeah....it sucks.  

I do have a B&M shop where I buy cigars too.  I'm a cheap ****, but I want to do my part, to help support local business.  That, and the staff is knowledgeable, and friendly.  They have a great smoking lounge and have a few TV's and you can watch sports and smoke cigars. They also have "Movie" nights and events.

• 2 weeks later...

Operation Rescue: Has begun!

this was my buddy's humidor, he hasn't paid attention to it in a long time, smokes once or twice per year. I've been threatening to confiscate it for awhile, each time he said to go for it...last night I saved it.

The cigars went into ziplocs as soon as I got home, each with a Boveda. I know most are probably gone been dry WAY too long. But some others I gave him more recently, those may be saveable.

Anyways, reseasoning starts tomorrow. I'm also going to get some food grad silicone to reinforce the glass top seal. I am an advocate for tupeerdor storage, but I want to compare the performance between a real humidor and my tupperdor. 

Will update as things progress.

33839700503_cfc586911a_b.jpg

34487241592_dcb05ace30_b.jpg

I've been so busy lately that I simply haven't had much time to smoke. But....

Tonight, watching a lightning storm with a cigar while sitting out on the deck...yeah that'll do pig.

attachment.jpg

Cigar Of The Day: My Father Flor de las Antillas. (CotY 2012)
Started with a light to medium bodied tobacco and light leather flavor with a mild baking spice finish. Second third moved into a medium body with some creamy leather and mild sweet on the draw finish was fairly short. Burn was wavy but managed itself well enough. Light spice hangs a bit like a mild cayenne or chipotle nothing hot or distracting. Final third more of the same goodness, body stepped up to a medium/full and creamy sweetness more pronounced. 

Then yesterday taking a "lunch-break" at a buddy's house talking sports and smokes...yep that'll do indeed.

attachment.jpg

Padron 4000 Felt like a light pack with a wide open draw. Leather and creamy coffee abound. Fairly straight forward stick. Wind affected burn so I had to touch up a couple times. Ash was flaky, split and fairly ugly throughout. 
Overall a good afternoon smoke with a buddy over some good creamy coffee. Not a bad way to spend an hour.

IMO neither were truly exceptional, but both were quality sticks to be sure. I'd rank them B+ definitely worth revisiting in the future, but not box worthy IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Oh my. I missed that. 

The two of you are going to take me to the poorhouse. 

I am considering a trip to Cuba though. 

I bought some Cubans,  when we  vacationed in Dublin, back in October. Honestly,  I've smoked quite a few Cuban cigars,  but many Domenican,  and Nicaraguan smokes are better. Hell, I've had hand-rolled cigars, made in New Orleans, that were better 

37 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I bought some Cubans,  when we  vacationed in Dublin, back in October. Honestly,  I've smoked quite a few Cuban cigars,  but many Domenican,  and Nicaraguan smokes are better. Hell, I've had hand-rolled cigars, made in New Orleans, that were better 

That is becoming the accepted knowledge any more. The lustre is off Cubans for sure. I can't figure out if Cuban manufacturers rested on their laurels and sold off mystique, but now that they are more widely available there is real reasons that Nicaraguan and Dominican smokes are favored.

8 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That is becoming the accepted knowledge any more. The lustre is off Cubans for sure. I can't figure out if Cuban manufacturers rested on their laurels and sold off mystique, but now that they are more widely available there is real reasons that Nicaraguan and Dominican smokes are favored.

I have to agree. Part of the allure of Cubans is their limited availability. However, they are still some of the best. I've never had a poorly constructed Cuban.

What is interesting is seeing when CAO, Fuente, Oliva, My Father,  Alec Bradley et al are able to infuse Cuban tobacco, not just the seed, into their cigars.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at the Smokin in the Carolinas event now.  It is first-class, all the way. They gave out over 100 free premium sticks. I'll do a final count, when I get home. I'm talking Arturo Fuente, National Sherman, Perdomo, Oliva, Rocky Patel, Alec Bradley, Drew Estate,  Ashton, etc.  Local craft beer, from Red Oak Brewery, BBQ, and fantastic deals on cigars and accessories. I saved big bucks on an Xikar lighte and cutter package, travel humidor and snagged some sweet swag.  We'll need to put together an ES road-trip here next year.  The cigars alone are worth the price of admission 

20170610_142931.jpg

20170610_143052.jpg

20170610_115510.jpg

20170610_115602.jpg

20170610_115455.jpg

20170610_114304.jpg

20170610_113751.jpg

20170610_114119.jpg

20170610_114243.jpg

20 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Can't beat those Xikar lighters!!

Agreed.  I got a fantastic deal on a lighter & cutter combo.  It's a "Don't Tread On Me" limited edition.  It's the 5X64 Turrim lighter and an Xi1 cutter.  It was on sale, and they knocked 20% off the price, for the show.   I got the combo package for $90.00, tax included.  The lighter alone is almost worth that much.  It's yellow and inscribed with "Don't Tread on Me" along with the snake logo engraved on the top.   The cutter black and white with the same verbiage, and the snake logo on both sides.  It's really solid.

Archived