Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last Line of Defense-2015 Draft Safety Prospects

darrelgreenie

There is a CB/S guy that I saw some mock draft site mock to us in the 2nd or 3rd round named Alex Carter. They compared him to Amerson. That made me think about how Barry will feel about Amerson at CB. He might envision him playing better at safety. I would like to see him get another year at CB, but we need help everywhere and we need all our guys playing the position they are best at.

Here is the nfl draft profile for Carter.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/alex-carter?id=2552587

Lol Alex Carter plays nothing like Amerson. That's a joke to compare him to Amerson. 

Big fan of Alex Carter. Top 5 CB coming out this year in my opinion. Plays will a lot of physicality. 

In relation to to safeties, I'm expecting Damarious Randall to produce big combine numbers and prob push up a few draft boards. Would happily take him later in the draft if he doesn't though. No safety I've watched this year has jumped out to me at all but Randall has shown some flashes especially relative to his draft stock. 

Also, I think James Sample might be getting a bit overlooked. Every time I watch Holliman I come away more impressed by Sample. Bold statement maybe, but its just what I see..

Always really impressed with Sample's positioning and dont think I've seen him take a bad angle. If he puts on some weight I think the potential is there to be a solid pro player. Yet to really see him get a proper test in coverage though. Only had one season as a starter.

http://www.noonkick.com/2014-florida-state-at-louisville/

Daniel Jeremiah[/size]         @MoveTheSticks
Follow
 Only 1 safety in my updated top 50 list. James Sample (Louisville) just missed the cut. Not a good year at that position.
James Sample - DB - LOU - Feb. 13 - 2:31 pm et

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah is high on Louisville junior S James Sample and believes he's "a firm tackler."
"Studying safeties..Really like James Sample from Louisville. Quick to read/fill & a firm tackler. I'm down on Holliman. 0 interest vs run," Jeremiah tweeted. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound Sample spent two years at the University of Washington and then left the program to play ball at American River College in California, before transferring to Louisville. In his only season starting with the Cardinals, Sample recorded 4 interceptions, 8 pass break-ups and a team-leading 90 tackles. 

Feb. 13 - 2:31 pm et 
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

In relation to to safeties, I'm expecting Damarious Randall to produce big combine numbers and prob push up a few draft boards. Would happily take him later in the draft if he doesn't though. No safety I've watched this year has jumped out to me at all but Randall has shown some flashes especially relative to his draft stock. 

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGvNTLe-tVk

I haven't had the chance to chart this game. 

Any thoughts in summary or any + or - play stick out?

I haven't had the chance to chart this game. 

Any thoughts in summary or any + or - play stick out?

He looks pretty good against the run and a weapon when used to blitz. Immense burst of speed.

Not tested enough in coverage but would question his positioning on a couple of plays. Another play where he goes too aggressive and draws a flag. Plays very aggressive in general. 

Has a way to go yet but physically he definitely has the attributes. I'd be willing to take him on as a project with a latter round pick but just have a feeling his combine numbers may bump him up a bit early. 

If we are talking pure FS. I like Holliman over all of them. He's not much in run support. But the guy makes plays on the ball.

.... Noooo I think Holliman is a project that had a good year ... There are at least 5 safeties I think that are better then him

Some players are ahead of their time.  20 years from now when hitting is illegal, Holliman will be looked back as the first of the next generation.

All kidding aside, I've seen poor tackling before, but Holliman set a new lower limit to what I've seen.  That boy just does not want to hit anyone.  Saw a scout's report on him where he charted every tackle opportunity Holliman had, and he had 20 missed or broken tackles to just 40 made tackles.  That is unspeakably poor.  He's a guy who jumped ship to the pros early because he knew he wouldn't have another season like this.

Derron Smith vs Wyoming 2013
Overall: 5.5 plus, 1.5 minus

19 snaps

5 snaps Cover 2 
4 snaps shallow Cover 2
2 snaps in the box
4 snaps Single High FS
3 snaps NB off
1 snap ?

Tackling:

7 Tackle opportunties
2  individual tackles made
3 assists
1 @ 1:55 miss- QB scramble misses contact
1 bonus effort to chase, 1 questionable angle where he free hitter @ 1:32

Coverage:

+2 @ (2:44) intercepts tipped pass while playing Cover 2, picks up ~25 return yards

Short cut-up. But there are more game cut-ups to watch.

Thoughts?

He looks pretty good against the run and a weapon when used to blitz. Immense burst of speed.

Not tested enough in coverage but would question his positioning on a couple of plays. Another play where he goes too aggressive and draws a flag. Plays very aggressive in general. 

Has a way to go yet but physically he definitely has the attributes. I'd be willing to take him on as a project with a latter round pick but just have a feeling his combine numbers may bump him up a bit early.

Good breakdown.

The coverage plays I'm guessing are the same ones?

How did you evaluate plays 1:41 and 2:21? 

Damarious Randall vs Weber State 2014

Overall: 8 plus, 1.5/2.5 minus

18 snaps

10 snaps Cover 2

0   snaps Shallow Cover 2

5 snaps in the box/edge

2 snaps deep/Single High FS

1 snaps NB off:1

Tackling:

8 Tackle opportunties

5  individual tackles made

2 assists

-.5 caught in the wash: @ 1:41s

-.5 half a miss @ 2:06

@1:07 comes off hash to delivery a sideline hit not a push out

@ 1:14 comes up from Cover 2 avoids block, pop and wrap on RB

+1 blitz pressure vs OT @ 3:02

+1 blitz pressure vs RB @ 3:30

@3:50 TFL coming form the edge

Coverage:

Played in Cover 2 a lot with little action.

-.5 @3:39 good coverage vs fake wr screen got there a little early?

-1? last play of game, not sure if its Cover 2 or Cover 3 if its Cover 2 then should have stayed overtop to help the CB if its Cover 3 no fault on the play

Good breakdown.

The coverage plays I'm guessing are the same ones?

How did you evaluate plays 1:41 and 2:21? 

Played in Cover 2 a lot with little action.

-.5 @3:39 good coverage vs fake wr screen got there a little early?

-1? last play of game, not sure if its Cover 2 or Cover 3 if its Cover 2 then should have stayed overtop to help the CB if its Cover 3 no fault on the play

Almost positive last play was in cover 3 based on how everyone else played that snap.  The shallow coverage was zone as well and that corner wasn't handing him off.  Randall breaks on the middle receiver, who was, in fact, handed off by the linebacker.  Had Randall bailed to the sidelines the middle receiver would have been wide open in the end zone as the linebacker didn't flip his hips to run with him.

Ibraheim Campbell vs California 2014

Overall: 16 plus, 1 minus

25 snaps

8 snaps Cover 2 

8 snaps in the box

7 shallow Cover 2

2 snaps Goal line

Tackling:

17 Tackle opportunties

10  individual tackles made

6 assists

1 @ 2:25 missed/broken- hit and wrap but RB gained 2 yards after contact  before going down

9 bonus plays that showed effort and aggression e.g. @ 1:46 hits with pop to create forced fumble

Coverage:

8 coverages plays

- quick reaction to route

- good initial jam

+3 @ 3:04 good initial jam, turns and runs with receiver (off screen) reads QB eyes makes diving sideline interception

-made defensive call x1

I was surprised by the grade and double checked and had to nit-pick to find a minus play.

Check out the cut-up maybe I missed some negatives?

Thoughts? 

I was surprised by the grade and double checked and had to nit-pick to find a minus play.

Check out the cut-up maybe I missed some negatives?

Thoughts? 

From what I could find on him he's a three time all-academic all-big 10 and he prides himself on his study habits.  I'm thinking he'll move up in the draft from his current 3-4th projection.

Can someone answer the burning question in my head.  How is DHall just "going to move to FS" .  Why do fans just think a CB can automatically play FS or SS.  I remember when we read the threads "Sign Bailey to play FS".  When have you ever heard of a CB playing FS or SS when he gets older in age?  I'll give you a hint, they don't.  Can we please stop pretending DHall is going to be a pro bowl safety this year.  He's a corner.

It is kind of funny after all these years. Springs was another. Amerson, too.  Biggers to open 2013 was the only time I recall it actually happening, and IIRC, we got shelled.

Circling back on topic and sticking to yours, I wonder if there are corners in college GMSM is projecting to safety. I doubt it, but maybe.  GMSM may have a few tricks up his sleeve, actually doing some of the things that were otherwise fan fantasy.

Archived