Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey Diddle Diddle, Round the Mulberry Bush, AHHH! The Sky is Falling!

KDawg

Actually I think your having comprehension malfunctions there sport>>>! 

Nothing more than an observation of past tendencies, and how they possibly compare to this hire...try not to over think it...

Alrighty. Your response and sarcasm are noted, and totally unwarranted. But thanks for calling me "sport". Can't be any more disrespectful than that.

Have a good one.

You can only judge 3 of the 6 because 2 never had a chance due to injury, and a third was a rookie back up this past year.

So of those three...Butlers first year of playing was with Barry. He tore his ACL the year before Barry got there. Those -9.6 and -23.2 ratings, call me skeptical. He didn't play that poorly, maybe because he missed games? And again, T'eo has played well.

It is hard to judge Ingram since he has only played 13 games in 2 years....due to ACL tear and Hip injury...BUT, he had 4 sacks in 9 games this year, 2 FF, 1 FR, 11 hurries. That is not bad.

And lets be honest, judging a coach based on individual players is ridiculous. What was the rating on the unit?

Chargers fans seem to love him. Their LB corps has been riddled with injuries during his tenure.

Plenty of chargers fans hated him, and the ratings are based on actual plays made, missing time isn't counted against them.

But seriously, dude deserves a chance, sure.  I'm going to be more focused on personnel this year anyways. 

We've got a lot of digging to do.  This ain't a one year fix.  We wanted a rebuild, we got one.  Patience, ya'll.

EDIT:  Oh yeah... BTW - he runs a 1-gap 3-4.  Think of him as a younger Wade Phillips with energy.

and a waistline

I read it. "Blah, blah, blah, give him a chance /JimCarrey."

No. I‘ll believe it when I see it.

Another respectful member of the forum. Instead of coming in and sharing a sound, insightful opinion that's full of substance you offer this and a cartoon. Well done.

Another respectful member of the forum. Instead of coming in and sharing a sound, insightful opinion that's full of substance you offer this and a cartoon. Well done.

And you say you aren't trying to blow smoke up people's asses, but proceed to do it anyway. Makes us even in my book.

And you say you aren't trying to blow smoke up people's asses, but proceed to do it anyway. Makes us even in my book.

Humorous.

There's no smoke being blown anywhere.

I don't like the hire. I've said it time and time again. But since I know you didn't actually read the OP besides skimming it, I'll say it yet again: Barry getting hired isn't his fault. It's a reflection of the FO and the head coach they hired. Barry himself did nothing to hurt us to this point, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt on a personal level. No one has said the same for the FO.

Feel free to continue going thread to thread complaining and posting images. Everyone has to cope differently.

Humorous.

There's no smoke being blown anywhere.

I don't like the hire. I've said it time and time again. But since I know you didn't actually read the OP besides skimming it, I'll say it yet again: Barry getting hired isn't his fault. It's a reflection of the FO and the head coach they hired. Barry himself did nothing to hurt us to this point, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt on a personal level. No one has said the same for the FO.

Feel free to continue going thread to thread complaining and posting images. Everyone has to cope differently.

Saying it has a chance to work, just because, is blowing smoke up people's asses. You know who else almost everyone hated, but did nothing to hurt as at the point he was hired? Haslett. I could swap out a few names and your OP wouldn't be any different.

Let's just leave it at you're willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt. I'm not. They don't deserve it.

Saying it has a chance to work, just because, is blowing smoke up people's asses. You know who else almost everyone hated, but did nothing to hurt as at the point he was hired? Haslett. I could swap out a few names and your OP wouldn't be any different.

There's a difference between defecating on a human being and not being a fan of the move.

I wasn't a fan of Haslett, either. And I said as much.

There's a difference between defecating on a human being and not being a fan of the move.

I wasn't a fan of Haslett, either. And I said as much.

Defecating on him? Being a bit overdramatic, don't you think? I think he can handle it. If he can't, he's in the wrong business.

I mean, he's off to a great start. The FO already showed how valuable he was when they apparently hired him, and then had him waiting in the wings while they tried, and failed, too woo Fangio.

The title may seem odd, but it'll all tie in (aside from the hey diddle diddle and round the mulberry bush part... Not sure why I added that...)

I'm not going to use this post to blow smoke up your hind parts and pretend ...

How could I say the sky isn't falling? ...

See, and bear with me here... There's more crazy talk coming...

what I am saying is that there is a lot of negativity surrounding this franchise.

When you win, the atmosphere changes.

Don't get confused,...

So what's my point?

...But I'm expecting it to be better. Maybe even similar to the Saints D when they went to the Super Bowl. ..

,...the point is... The guy deserves a chance. 

Manage your expectations. Understand that the defense isn't going to magically turn the corner and be the best defense in the NFL (although, Santa, if you're listening... That would be sweet)

... And at the very least, even if you don't love the move have an open mind.

The sky isn't falling. Oh and Bill Callahan  :)

You keep referring to the OP like it's something other than a post that belongs in one of the other 2 Barry threads on the front page, I think that is where the confusion comes in.

No offense, but seriously, what were you expecting?

The title may seem odd, but it'll all tie in (aside from the hey diddle diddle and round the mulberry bush part... Not sure why I added that...)

I'm not going to use this post to blow smoke up your hind parts and pretend that it's going to come out smelling like freshly cut daisies. But I am going to use this post to communicate that the sky, is not in fact, falling. I know, I know. Crazy talk.

How could I say the sky isn't falling? The Redskins just hired the last guy most Redskin fans wanted... Heck, I don't love the hire myself. So why is any of this good news? Well... It's not. But that doesn't mean it can't work out.

See, and bear with me here... There's more crazy talk coming...

Part of the rinse and repeat nature of this franchise is on our front office woes. Part is on the media. And part is on us as a fan base. Now, I'm certainly not saying that we need to blindly run around pretending like the 'Skins are crapping out Snickers or anything. But what I am saying is that there is a lot of negativity surrounding this franchise. A lot of it. And that attitude, whether they admit it or not, does permeate to the team itself. It manifests itself in the media, in fan interactions with players, in social media where the team most certainly is aware of what's going on. It's all there.

Believe it or not, the general atmosphere will always impact the team. Always. I don't care where you are. If the culture surrounding the team is negative, the team's output is more likely to be negative. I don't have any scientific journal studies to back that up, so I suppose that I should say that's an opinion. But, it's an opinion that is formed through some experience. And of course, the reasonable response is, "winning cures all!" Sure it does. When you win, the atmosphere changes. You begin to get positivity from the fan base.

Don't get confused, I'm not sitting here and saying that every win and loss, or even every season's results are all about culture... But long term viability is certainly an aspect of culture. And it can have an effect on any given game/season. But it doesn't always.

So what's my point?

Well. No one wanted Joe Barry. He was the DC for a Lions team that went 0-16 and ranked 32nd in the NFL in defense in both of his years as a coordinator. But, the head coach also ran the defense on those teams, and his general manager was mired in negativity from the fan base. And if you haven't taken a look at the two rosters he had to work with, I suggest doing that. Wow.

And I dislike the hire myself, and I feel like that's okay. But here's the kicker... Just because it's not the name I wanted doesn't mean it can't work. And it's certainly not Joe Barry's fault that he interviewed well and got hired. Connections or not. He feels like he can do the job.

So while I have my reservations, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm not expecting this defense to set the world on fire. But I'm expecting it to be better. Maybe even similar to the Saints D when they went to the Super Bowl. That defense got shredded, but they were a walking turnover machine. Although, I don't expect it to be to that extreme as far as getting shredded or creating as many turnovers, the point is... The guy deserves a chance. He's a human just like all of us. He has some experience.

Manage your expectations. Understand that the defense isn't going to magically turn the corner and be the best defense in the NFL (although, Santa, if you're listening... That would be sweet)... And at the very least, even if you don't love the move have an open mind.

The sky isn't falling. Oh and Bill Callahan :)

You keep referring to the OP like it's something other than a post that belongs in one of the other 2 Barry threads on the front page, I think that is where the confusion comes in.

No offense, but seriously, what were you expecting?

Considering you hacked the OP to bits in your quote I'll just assume you have an agenda.

I'll quote the OP here so you can read it at your leisure without hacking it to bits and driving your agenda.

I'm still very confused how any of you could possibly tell me that what I'm saying isn't what I'm saying. It's mind boggling.

Let's just leave it at you're willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt. I'm not. They don't deserve it.

It does have a chance to work.

It may not be a chance we view as likely, but suggestion that there is no chance is idiotic and should never be uttered.   Where believed, should be kept internal as, again, it's idiotic.

There is no benefit of the doubt to be granted.   Gruden is comfortable with the coach he'll coach with.   That is more important than my comfort or your comfort in the coach he selected.   We anticipate a poor outcome.   We will likely be proven correct.   But, there is a valid rationale for understanding how it could actually work out.   And given Barry has never run a defense before, perhaps he'll be a stud boy, hot coaching candidate this time next year.   

And we'll be so happy.

Of course, it's more likely our next head coach will be looking for a defensive coordinator, but, stranger things have happened.

Considering you hacked the OP to bits in your quote I'll just assume you have an agenda.

I'll quote the OP here so you can read it at your leisure without hacking it to bits and driving your agenda.

I'm still very confused how any of you could possibly tell me that what I'm saying isn't what I'm saying. It's mind boggling.

So help me then, what are you saying exactly?  Break it down for me coach.

BTW...I have no agenda, but I am curious what you're thinking it could be.

Many on this board were probably (at some point) promoted or put into positions at work and may have failed outright, or struggled for awhile or even fired. I am sure you are thankful someone looked past your previous failures and gave you an opportunity to redeem or reprove yourself. If we use the same logic many are using against the Barry hire on yourselves, how many of you would be drawing unemployment checks because no one bothered to give you a 2nd chance? Then, before even starting your first day of work, employee outrage against you made your job even more difficult to prove your value due to preconceived ideas on what you will do.

I may not be 100% on board with hire, but I will not judge ANYONE before I see what they can do. I would never root for the Redskins to lose so I could be validated on my prediction of failure.

So help me then, what are you saying exactly?  Break it down for me coach.

BTW...I have no agenda, but I am curious what you're thinking it could be.

I've said it probably 254 times. Throughout the thread.

Barry getting hired isn't Barry's fault. It's on the FO.

As a man, Barry deserves the opportunity to not be crapped on by our entire fan base. He hasn't been a part of this mess to this point, and it's not his fault he was hired into it. We don't like the hire. Yes, I said "we". I don't care for it either. But that's an issue I have with the Skins front office and their choice in head coach more than it is with Joe Barry.

But, at the same time, I'm also open to the idea that my opinion in this matter means exactly nothing. I don't know what Barry is capable of. Neither does any other fan. The only thing I have to go on is his Lions stint where he had the worst FO in football and a head coach that actually ran the defense.

I can guess he won't work out all I want. And if I had to bet, that's where my money would be. But I don't know. And that's why I have an open mind. Maybe he really did sit down in the interview and have an outstanding plan. Maybe when Fangio became available the Skins wanted to interview him but weren't going into it with the mentality that he was definitely the guy. Maybe even after the interview they liked Barry better because his vision and plan were on point.

Do any of us know what happened with that?

We can assume, and trust me, I think the spin department was out in force here. But that doesn't mean I can't give the new DC the chance to succeed instead of booing him out of the building day one.

My issue is with the FO (Not McCloughan, for the record) and has been with the FO. And while Gruden picked Barry, this hire will ultimately reflect them. If it works, they look really good. If it doesn't, they look very bad.

I've said it probably 254 times. Throughout the thread.

Barry getting hired isn't Barry's fault. It's on the FO.

As a man, Barry deserves the opportunity to not be crapped on by our entire fan base. He hasn't been a part of this mess to this point, and it's not his fault he was hired into it. We don't like the hire. Yes, I said "we". I don't care for it either. But that's an issue I have with the Skins front office and their choice in head coach more than it is with Joe Barry.

But, at the same time, I'm also open to the idea that my opinion in this matter means exactly nothing. I don't know what Barry is capable of. Neither does any other fan. The only thing I have to go on is his Lions stint where he had the worst FO in football and a head coach that actually ran the defense.

I can guess he won't work out all I want. And if I had to bet, that's where my money would be. But I don't know. And that's why I have an open mind. Maybe he really did sit down in the interview and have an outstanding plan. Maybe when Fangio became available the Skins wanted to interview him but weren't going into it with the mentality that he was definitely the guy. Maybe even after the interview they liked Barry better because his vision and plan were on point.

Do any of us know what happened with that?

We can assume, and trust me, I think the spin department was out in force here. But that doesn't mean I can't give the new DC the chance to succeed instead of booing him out of the building day one.

My issue is with the FO (Not McCloughan, for the record) and has been with the FO. And while Gruden picked Barry, this hire will ultimately reflect them. If it works, they look really good. If it doesn't, they look very bad.

Ok, I'm with you there.  I hope Barry doesn't read this message board because I wouldn't want him to lose confidence in himself.  I'm not mad at Barry, and I hope he is awesome.  

I guess I just wanted a better track record behind the new DC so we could just KNOW one key piece of this puzzle was solid.  

Not trying to give you a hard time, but I have always given this team the benefit of the doubt.  

On a scale of 1-10 (10 is extremely confident) where do you rank your confidence that he can match wits with the average OC in the league?  Talent aside...

On the same scale, where do you rank your confidence in his ability to develop young players and the coaches under him?

And most of all, with the game on the line, who do you want calling the defensive plays in the 4th quarter when we're up by 2 with 1:30 left and they have the ball?  An experienced 3-4 DC, or a 1st time running a 3-4 son in law of a Cover-2 that's never been a successful DC before?  

Archived