Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ronda Rousey's Strategy to Beat Floyd Mayweather Jr.

d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ronda-rousey-s-strategy-to-beat-floyd-mayweather-jr--133330448.html

UFC champion Ronda Rousey was recently a guest on the Power 106 FM radio station (video below) and shed some light on the main difference between MMA and boxing. When asked by the show's host if she'd be able to beat boxing great Floyd Mayweather Jr. in an MMA-rules fight inside the UFC Octagon, Rousey was self-deprecating but honest in assessing that she'd likely be able to take out "Money" if she kept the fight on the ground.

"I’ll tell you what I’d do," Rousey began.

"You ready? I would drop down to the ground and crawl over to him as fast I as I can and then I’d grab him by … I wouldn't even stand up. I wouldn’t be anywhere near him. I would just do a little army crawl over there [laughs]. He’d have to run away and I’d be skittering after him, like the one dude in 'Bloodsport' who was doing the whole monkey-crawl fight system. I would do that. I would just bear crawl over there, just too low for him to hit me and tackle him down."

The show's host then asked Ronda if what she was saying was that, once she were to get the fight with Mayweather to the ground, that would be it.

"Well, I spend a lot of time there. I doubt that he does," Rousey explained humbly.

I'd pick Ronda via first round armbar. Floyd would get to throw one punch the entire fight. Ronda finding one single clinch would mean the end. Floyd isn't a knockout artist, and Ronda is a tank.

For the record, I'm against men fighting women. I do, however, find it fascinating that the best boxer in the world could get beat up by a girl. Discuss...

Boxers train to punch and dodge punches. Everything is done while upright. She has the right gameplan going in - get him on the ground and negate his ability to punch.

That being said, you don't think Money would do some basic grappling training? His strength and body weight would be put to good use with just basic training on dos and donts of mat work.

Also keep in mind... Floyd the boxer operates by rules on where he can and cannot strike. I believe those are greatly relaxed in this arena, and I'm sure he'd take full advantage of that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ronda-rousey-s-strategy-to-beat-floyd-mayweather-jr--133330448.html

I'd pick Ronda via first round armbar. Floyd would get to throw one punch the entire fight. Ronda finding one single clinch would mean the end. Floyd isn't a knockout artist, and Ronda is a tank.

For the record, I'm against men fighting women. I do, however, find it fascinating that the best boxer in the world could get beat up by a girl. Discuss...

Floyd isn't a knock out artist? 45 fights, 45 wins, 25 KOs when fighting MEN...

Floyd would only have to hit her once. He would have such a huge advantage in speed and power it wouldn't matter if he was standing or on the mat.. He would kill her.. End of discussion.

It would be like you fighting your wife or girlfriend.. The fact that she is in good fighting shape and has skills are irrelevant. Maryweather is in great shape and has great skills too. What you are left with is a grown man beating the snot out of a woman.

Like when Antonio inoki fought Mohammed Ali. Inoki just laid on the ground and kicked at Ali's legs the whole fight. Ali had no answer.

Both were in there mid 30's when they fought. It was an exhibition. I don't think you can make any assumptions on their fighting ability because of the results a circus.

Every time this comes up it's the same answer:  Boxer beats MMA fighter in a boxing match, MMA fighter beats boxer in an MMA fight.  The only wrinkle is that we're talking about a man vs. a woman. 

However, I wrestled in high school at 125 lbs (I think that's the weight class) and my friend who wrestled at 98lbs would kick my ass in practice constantly. So I'm saying technique is most important to size/sex.

However, I wrestled in high school at 125 lbs (I think that's the weight class) and my friend who wrestled at 98lbs would kick my ass in practice constantly. So I'm saying technique is most important to size/sex.

You ever get your ass kicked by a woman in wrestling in high school? You ever hear of a woman kicking a dudes ass in wrestling in high school, college, or professionally? The reason is because while relatively equally matched pre-adolescence post adolescence dramatically favors the male for building speed and strength. Look at nearly any sport, the men are stronger and faster. The advantage is so dominant we don't even compete because competitions are just unfair. That's not a sexist statement, it's a fact.

I'm going to say Rousey beats Mayweather in an MMA fight. If she got ahold of him, she would very quickly snap a bone. World class Jiu Jitsu isn't something to mess with. Royce Gracie used to beat everybody (they didn't have weight clases in the early days of UFC) at like 145 lbs. back in the day because he was the only one who knew Jiu Jitsu.

My high school wrestling example probably wasn't the best because we are talking about athletes that are the best in the world, not high school kids.

But I'll state that in a judo contest between Rhonda and Mayweather, Rhonda would win.

You ever get your ass kicked by a woman in wrestling in high school? You ever hear of a woman kicking a dudes ass in wrestling in high school, college, or professionally? The reason is because while relatively equally matched pre-adolescence post adolescence dramatically favors the male for building speed and strength. Look at nearly any sport, the men are stronger and faster. The advantage is so dominant we don't even compete because competitions are just unfair. That's not a sexist statement, it's a fact.

I've seen girls beat guys in high school and college wrestling. That's still not even the point because those are people trained in the same discipline. Boxing and MMA are two different sports. Lebron James wouldn't beat Serena Williams in tennis.

Floyd isn't a knock out artist? 45 fights, 45 wins, 25 KOs when fighting MEN...

Floyd would only have to hit her once. He would have such a huge advantage in speed and power it wouldn't matter if he was standing or on the mat.. He would kill her.. End of discussion.

It would be like you fighting your wife or girlfriend.. The fact that she is in good fighting shape and has skills are irrelevant. Maryweather is in great shape and has great skills too. What you are left with is a grown man beating the snot out of a woman.

It would be like you fighting your wife or girlfriend...

1 - if your wife or girlfriend had to weigh exactly the same as you do the afternoon before the fight... and all that weight was muscle.  

2 - If your wife was only an inch shorter than you

3 - if your wife was a decade younger than you

4 - if your wife was a olympic medalist in judo 

5 - if your wife was insane and enjoyed beating the **** out of people for a living

Otherwise, same thing.  lol

Money Mayweather would have a MASSIVE hand and upper body movement advantage.  If the gloves were MMA and not boxing pillows he'd knock out Ronda easily if given a small window to do so.  I don't think the UFC has ever seen a fighter that comes close to the punching speed Mayweather has.  His hands are a blur that make other very well decorated fighters look incompetent.  It's hard to stress just how fast his hands are.  Legendary speed.    

MMA fighters have been facing incredibly lopsided striking contests forever though and they've shown an ability to avoid it long enough to clinch.  If Ronda got her hands on Mayweather, which is a big if considering the speed we are talking about, anything he did would result in his being tossed.  Without a strong grappling background and a camp in which you train specifically for what judo fighters do, it hard to avoid ending up on a hip ride to the mat.  If the fight went to the ground, money Mayweather would be done.  Ronda would destroy him there and she would destroy most men there, even those much larger than her, if they had no real training on how to avoid submissions.  

If I had to bet on this fight I'd bet on Mayweather not taking it.   :)   

It would be like you fighting your wife or girlfriend...

1 - if your wife or girlfriend had to weigh exactly the same as you do the afternoon before the fight... and all that weight was muscle.  

2 - If your wife was only an inch shorter than you

3 - if your wife was a decade younger than you

4 - if your wife was a olympic medalist in judo 

5 - if your wife was insane and enjoyed beating the **** out of people for a living

So you've met my wife?

Sure, Mayweather is stronger than Rousey.   But Rousey is a tough dame, and has a very strong core, and as strong as he is, Mayweather's elbow can get dislocated just the same as anyone else's.  

I think there is a good chance that Mayweather could beat her to a pulp before she got a lock in, but I also think there is a good chance she could armbar him too.

I've seen girls beat guys in high school and college wrestling. That's still not even the point because those are people trained in the same discipline. Boxing and MMA are two different sports. Lebron James wouldn't beat Serena Williams in tennis.

I was looking it up...  Mitchela Hutchison won the the 2006 Alaska State Championship against boys. She finished the season 41-4, with 33 pins.....  So in HS it occasionally does happen.  Occasionally a woman can compete successfully.   Haven't really seen many women having much success at the Collegiate level.   Much less the professional level.

Sure, Mayweather is stronger than Rousey.   But Rousey is a tough dame, and has a very strong core, and as strong as he is, Mayweather's elbow can get dislocated just the same as anyone else's.  

I think there is a good chance that Mayweather could beat her to a pulp before she got a lock in, but I also think there is a good chance she could armbar him too.

I don't even know if she would be strong enough to grapple with him successfully...  I mean it's not like he wouldn't be pummeling her with punches on the ground too.     I don't know if she would even have the bone density to take a punch from Floyd Maryweather without her face getting broken.

The way to prove she should be in a ring with Maryweather would be for her to defeat some lesser men fighters.   She hasn't even done that though.   It's just not a contest..   Not even on the mat.

I was shocked the first time I heard the best female tennis players couldn't compete with a male player ranked outside of 200... Or the gold medal woman's soccer team couldn't beat the men's under 16 team.   Men just have a huge advantage in sports because of the biology after adolescence..  that's just the way it is.

During the 1998 Australian Open, sisters Serena and Venus Williams boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. The challenge was accepted by Karsten Braasch, a German player ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38). Before the matches, Braasch played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2. Serena said afterwards "I didn't know it would be that hard. I hit shots that would have been winners on the women's tour and he got to them easily."

When female player Chris Evert-Lloyd was at her peak, she said her brother who played low level college tennis beat her (from her autobiography).

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/tennis/men-v-women.htm

I don't even know if she would be strong enough to grapple with him successfully...  I mean it's not like he wouldn't be pummeling her with punches on the ground too.     I don't know if she would even have the bone density to take a punch from Floyd Maryweather without her face getting broken.

The way to prove she should be in a ring with Maryweather would be for her to defeat some lesser men fighters.   She hasn't even done that though.   It's just not a contest..   Not even on the mat.

I was shocked the first time I heard the best female tennis players couldn't compete with a male player ranked outside of 200... Or the gold medal woman's soccer team couldn't beat the men's under 16 team.   Men just have a huge advantage in sports because of the biology after adolescence..  that's just the way it is.

None of that is surprising.  Of course men are stronger and faster.   In any fair contest, of strength and speed like a tennis match, merely good men will defeat the absolutely best women.  

But MMA fighting isn't fair, and Mayweather hasn't ever done it.   My assumption is that Mayweather would try to pummel her on the way in, pummel her on the ground, and that she would run a big risk of getting knocked out before she could grapple with him.  

But if he didn't get knocked out and she did grapple, she absolutely would dislocate his elbow.   She has been training for years perfecting that one technique, getting a hold of an arm and torquing her whole body to wreck your elbow.   Mayweather has never fought like this, it is all she does.  Of course any ranked male MMA fighter would destroy her at her own game. 

And I do think Rousey has adequate bone density to take a few blows.  She is a big, muscular woman, and like she said she is not going to stand there and take a haymaker to the face.   She is going to crawl around and it is pretty hard to knock someone out by hitting them on the back.     

Remember the size differences that BJJ fighters were facing, and overcoming, in the early days of MMA. Sure they were men fighting men, but they were thin men fighting monsters and beating them with technique. If Mayweather had no grappling background he'd lose a fight in the ground to Ronda. The trick for her would be getting it there.

Also remember that the strength difference wouldne be typical of male versus female, as they are essentially the same actual size (both height and weight). He'd be stronger but this isn't wouldn't be Ray Rice versus his fiancé in an elevator.

MMA fighting isn't fair, and Mayweather hasn't done it.

And speed and strength don't have an impact on the MMA ground game? I don't care what kind of moves she has.

Maryweather is probable twice as fast and three times as strong.. and that's not an exaggeration. You are taking a great female athlete and putting her against a legendary male athlete. It's ridiculous. Let her defeat a High school state wrestler, or a competitive NCAA male boxer/wrestler... I don't even know if she cold do that, and there are 1000 degrees of difficulty between that and fighting Maryweather.

And I do think Rousey has adequate bone density to take a few blows.  She is a big, muscular woman, and like she

She has the bone density to take a good shot from another chick, although in truth I've rarely seen her matches go that way. I've never seen her take a shot from a dude, and she's not a muscular woman. She's

5'6" 135.... That's not the dimensions of a beast. She's a strong fit woman. Who would be giving up 2 inches and 20 lbs to Maryweather.. That's more of an edge than another dude would be able to competitively give up to an average fighter. It's just silly.

aid she is not going to stand there and take a haymaker to the face. She is going to crawl around and it is pretty hard to knock someone out by hitting them on the back.

I think your previous post was pretty accurate. Maryweather is so fast, men who fight him don't get to make that decision. I don't think it's hard at all to knock someone out who's facing away from you.. which is probable why in boxing most defensive techniques don't teach you to turn your back.

Also remember that the strength difference wouldne be typical of male versus female, as they are essentially the same actual size (both height and weight). He'd be stronger but this isn't wouldn't be Ray Rice versus his fiancé in an elevator.

It would be Ray Rice vs his fiance. It would be worse. because as great as Rousey is compared to Ray's fiancee, Maryweather is that much better than Ray Rice.

You could give Ronda Rousey a baseball bat and she wouldn't be able to hurt or defeat Maryweather... The very thought you think Rousey on all fours crawling around after Maryweather would be able to catch him much less tackle him just says how delusional this conversation is.

None of that is surprising.  Of course men are stronger and faster.   In any fair contest, of strength and speed like a tennis match, very good men will defeat the very best women.  

MMA fighting isn't fair, and Mayweather hasn't done it.   My assumption is that Mayweather would try to pummel her on the way in, pummel her on the ground, and that she would run a big risk of getting knocked out before she could grapple with him.  

But if he didn't get knocked out and she did grapple, she absolutely would dislocate his elbow.   She has been training for years perfecting that one technique, getting a hold of an arm and torquing her whole body to wreck your elbow.   Mayweather has never fought like this, it is all she does.  Of course any ranked male MMA fighter would destroy her at her own game. 

And I do think Rousey has adequate bone density to take a few blows.  She is a big, muscular woman, and like she said she is not going to stand there and take a haymaker to the face.   She is going to crawl around and it is pretty hard to knock someone out by hitting them on the back.     

If she tried to crawl he would dribble her head on the ground with punches like he was playing basketball. In boxing you are limited to where you can hit, not so with MMA, plus I doubt she has faced the type of power that Mayweather has, he would hurt her bad. If it was standing up, not even a close contest, she would be out cold before she thought about doing something probably get hit with five or six punches. Plus you have to factor in Mayweather is great at movement and defense, I doubt she gets her hands on him without getting pummeled in the process. No matter how you cut it, its genetics. Women's bones are not a thick and dense and a man's. Their jaws are much more narrow than a mans.

JMS reminds me of the people who thought James Toney was going to knock Randy Couture out while on his back. Is that what you're saying? That if Ronda had Floyd down, he'd still knock her out with punches from the bottom? He'd be able to control her with his manliness? She's a damn wizard down there, and it's obvious you haven't the first white belt clue what that entails.

Marcelo Garcia is a short, unathletic, happy-go-lucky, unassuming guy. Who happens to be the greatest jiu jitsu player on Earth. Speed and power take a very far backseat to technique and knowledge on the ground. I'm sure Ronda owns dudes in practice every day. Leverege beats strength. See Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock.

Floyd is not a KO artist, even if you simply look at the numbers (which is all you did). He is a defensive pointfighter who has gotten most of his KOs after an accumulation of strikes late in fights. Sure, he could land a shot, but I'm not putting my money on a puncher's chance.

Floyd is also used to standing there and having a guy try to find holes in his defense (which there aren't any). If someone does clinch, the ref breaks it apart. He'll have to pick her off when she decides to dart in and grab him. If she survives, and grabs him, I'm calling it over right there. Judo is actually a game of takedowns from the clinch (same as a boxing clinch). No question she flips decorated male wrestlers in the gym with her Judo. It's on a level nobody ever been close to in MMA. (Aside from Ogawa, but he just didn't have what it took to be a fighter).

Archived