Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amanda Knox Verdict Reinstated! Guilty as charged!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25941999

SO happy for the family of Meredith Kercher.

I know this divides opinion on both sides of thew Atlantic, but I've always believed Knox fell REAL lucky due to some REAL shoddy police work.

I just hope the US don't stand in the way of any extradition order and she finally gets to pay for her crime. 

Hail. 

As far as i understand it from what's being reported, that only applies under US law and as such the US won't be pushing for an extradition. 

Hopefully Italy will. 

Hail. 

America's extradition treaty with Italy prohibits the US from extraditing someone who has been acquitted.

Nor should they. This case has been, at best, a complete bungle by the Italian authorities.

The prosecution's case was based on orgy-murder that involved Satanic rituals. Yea, we better not extradite for something so retarded. The evidence implicating Knox and Sollecito was extremely weak and circumstantial.

This is the same justice system that jailed scientists for not predicting earthquakes.

An 'acquittal' that was overturned last year and a sentence that has now been reinstated. 

No doubt this will drag as the defense team appeals, but if that fails I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Italians push for extradition and justice to be served. For the foreseeable, Knox is secure so long as she stays on US soil. 

But at least, in some way, this is a major victory for poor Meredith's family after the horrific crime committed against her. 

Hail. 

An 'acquittal' that was overturned last year and a sentence that has now been reinstated. 

No doubt this will drag as the defense team appeals, but if that fails I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Italians push for extradition and justice to be served. For the foreseeable, Knox is secure so long as she stays on US soil. 

But at least, in some way, this is a major victory for poor Meredith's family after the horrific crime committed against her. 

Hail. 

Except it's not. Except in a real court, the prosecution's theory and DNA evidence would have been laughed out of court. Actually, two independent DNA experts did laugh at it.

No motive. No DNA in the room except for the victim's and Guede's. No murder weapon.

Meredith's family got "justice" when Guede was, correctly, convicted. This is simply more incompetence by the Italian police and judicial bodies.

There was basically no evidence against her at all, and she didn't fit the profile of a killer.  

Someone explain to me what they think the evidence is against her.

The real killer has been in jail this whole time, and he even admitted it.

Even the Kercher family has said they don't really think she had anything to do with it.

Meredith's family got "justice" when Guede was, correctly, convicted. This is simply more incompetence by the Italian police and judicial bodies.

Try telling that to the Kercher family who, far more privvy to the horrors that befell their daughter/ sister than you or I, have always maintained they never thought he acted alone.

The incompetence of the Italian authoraties back in '07 shouldn't pass as an exoneration.

Hail.

Does this really sound like it makes sense:

Rudy Guede from the Ivory Coast was convicted of her murder at an earlier trial and sentenced to 16 years in prison.

Prosecutors sought to prove Ms Kercher had died in a sex game involving Knox and Sollecito that went wrong.

They have since alleged that the murder resulted from a heated argument over cleanliness in the Perugia apartment.

Arrested days after the murder and detained in prison, Knox and Sollecito were tried and convicted in November 2009.

Raffaele Sollecito was in the courtroom earlier on Thursday but left before the verdicts were delivered

In 2011, an eight-member jury cleared both defendants of Ms Kercher's murder after doubts were raised over procedures used to gather DNA evidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25941999

makes no sense at all.  

Absolutely ridiculous.

The Italian court system is a joke.  Any court system is a joke if it can reinstate a guilty verdict after evidence was mishandled and screwed up so badly.

Like TSF said, from every account I've heard and evidence I've read about in reports, the man who killed Meredith is in jail.  I hope Amanda is not extradited and if they attempt to do so, I hope she can get to a non-extradition country as fast as possible.  

Screw Italy.

Try telling that to the Kercher family who, far more privvy to the horrors that befell their daughter/ sister than you or I, have always maintained they never thought he acted alone.

The incompetence of the Italian authoraties back in '07 shouldn't pass as an exoneration.

Hail.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but I think you are out to lunch on this one.  The evidence is non-existent, and even the victim's family said they have doubts she had anything to do with it.

Saying you don't think the guy in jail acted alone does not mean you think Amanda Knox was involved.  

The victims family certainly weren't saying that upon her release.

Hail.

There's no evidence against this girl, just sensationalism.  First, they said it was a sex game gone bad, which sold the **** out of some newspapers and sounded awesome.  Now, they say she killed her, slicing this poor girl up in some of the goriest ways possible because the apartment was dirty?  Does that make any sense to you?

On top of it, she had an alibi.  She was freaking working when the girl was probably killed.

The only thing they had was a confession that she knew something more that was written in Italian, not by her but for her to sign, after she was literally BEATEN by the police.  Yes, beaten by police into signing a paper in a foreign language.  That's it.

Why on earth does someone else even have to be in the apartment.  The guy who admitted killing her, didn't even blame Knox.  He said she wasn't there.  He gets convicted with 30 years in prison.  Then, in a plea deal he for the first time says he "saw Knox's silhouette."  GTFO.  That murdered could actually be released THIS YEAR.  That's the travesty.

The Italian court system lets a guilty guy go in an effort to come up with some sensational story about the "pretty devil" who somehow overpowered another woman and stabbed her a thousand times... over a dirty apartment.

It makes no sense at all.

I don't want to rehash the whole sordid business but there was holes and serious doubt all ways around. The 'confession'. allegedly under duress, and then recounted in a five pager the next day. The lack of the alibi the boyfriend couldn't back up. The turning off of 'phones and the inaccurate computer records to what they both claimed. The 'staged' ransacking. But then you weigh that up with the complete ineptness of the Italian authoraties. The lack of substantial DNA in the room. The bungled murder weapon et all

I don't know if Knox did or didn't kill Meredith. But I'm inclined to think she was at the least party to her death and 'got away with one' due to Carabinieri ineptness.

The Italian High Court obviously has serious doubts too to reinstate the verdict.

Hail.

Hail.

The victim's family has ZERO say over the guilt vs. innocence determination. None. Nor should they. They don't know Amanda from any other woman on the planet. They don't know about any of the evidence. They didn't conduct any of the interrogation. They are a biased party and should not be part of the system until the sentencing phase.

And yes, the incompetence of the police who gathered evidence and the prosecuting attorneys should most definitely pass as an exoneration. They couldn't process the crime scene. They couldn't repeat the DNA tests. They couldn't find the murder weapon. They couldn't establish a motive. They couldn't even prove that Knox was there during the murders.

You admit there are "serious holes and doubts" all the way around. That is called reasonable doubt. If you have reasonable doubt, YOU CANNOT NOT CONVICT SOMEONE!

The story I read had a pair of brief quotes from Alan Dershowitz.  Double Jeopardy doesn't apply here, apparently, though I can't remember his explanation.

The other thing he mentioned is that Knox could get caught up in a political game.  Keep in mind we're pushing for the return of Edward Snowden.  At the same time, we refuse to return an American citizen convicted or murder (assuming the appeal fails)?  I know there are clear differences, the fact that this was a slipshod job done by the Italian authorities, versus Snowden admitting he leaked everything, but the basic fact remains, it would be hard for us to push for his return on the worldwide stage while at the same time refusing to send her back.  That seemed to be his point, anyway.

The victims family certainly weren't saying that upon her release.

Hail.

The victim's family is rarely the most objective in such matters.

The Italian court system is a joke.  

This is the answer.  Italy has the worst, most corrupt and inefficient court system of any First World Western nation.  

These comments...

I don't want to rehash the whole sordid business but there was holes and serious doubt all ways around.

I don't know if Knox did or didn't kill Meredith.

Do not seem to jibe with this sentiment...

I just hope the US don't stand in the way of any extradition order and she finally gets to pay for her crime.

Archived