Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Does It Mean To Be A "true Fan"?

Hanzo the Razor

Up front, here's a little info about me -- I'm not a lifelong football fan. My dad doesn't follow any sports and most of my friends didn't either. I was a military brat, so I was constantly moving place to place, often out of country, and there wasn't any 'hometown team' to root for anyway.

In fact, I've just been following football for the last 3 or 4 years.

I got into football for two reasons. First, my wife (then girlfriend) is from Indiana and is a big Colts fan. I'd watch the games with her and try to follow along. Second, I got a job that required me to run employee "thank you" events at Ravens and Redskins games. So, those two situations forced me into not only being around football, but actually paying attention. Over time, I began to get into it and enjoy it on a casual level.

Since my wife was a Colts fan, I naturally followed them as well, but decided I'd like to have my own team. I was turned off by the Ravens because of how classless some of their fans acted during games in their stadiums, to other fans and once to my wife. I never experienced that at any of the Redskins games I went to; even when we went to a Colts v. Redskins game, no one swore at us or attacked like jerks. The most we experienced was an old fan telling us to "go home" after the Colts won (funnily enough, partly in thanks to a big time Pierre Garcon TD).

Add to that a few of my best friends are Redskins fans and they have the longer history in the area, plus my tendency to root for the underdog, I decided to go with the Redskins as my team.

I got deeper into football as time went on, learning a lot about the game itself from books like Take Your Eye Off the Ball, Blood Sweat & Chalk, Games That Changed the Game, etc. and website like Advanced NFL Stats, Smart Football, and others. After all that, I ultimately because a fan of football first, and teams second.

So, finally to the point -- I find the rabid loyalty and emotion that fans put into the game interesting, especially when they root for one ball club in particular. Especially since many organizations have shown that if the NFL lets them and they think they can make a profit, teams will move elsewhere without a problem -- the Colts, the Rams, the Browns-Ravens, the Oilers-Titans, etc.

So, what does being a 'true fan' mean to you?

a ) Supporting the organization and players in the good times and the bad

b ) Supporting the organization and players in the good times, criticizing them in the bad

c ) Always supporting the organization, but free to criticize the players

d ) Something else

And for those with deep emotional ties -- where do they come from? Why do the Redskins matter so much?

Just curious... no answer in my book is "wrong", but I'm curious to see where people here are coming from. Thanks in advance.

No such thing as a true fan. As long as you don't change teams every two years and stick with one, you're fine. The whole "true fan thing" is complete bull****. Be a homer, a realist, a booer, a non-booer. Who cares as long as you love your squad. 

My sports teams are kinda odd but one thing that is prevalent throughout my family is the 'Skins. A lot of ST holders in my immediate family. 

It is really a simple answer to me: is your team a part of your personal identity? Do you feel honest to goodness pain when things don't go well? Do you feel better about life in general when they do?

That is what defines a "true fan" for me. Now, it might not be the healthiest or most rational thing in the world, but I've met several fans over the years and I can usually tell within 10 minutes if they are "like me" or not. I can usually sense if they feel the pain or if they just enjoy the comradarie and spectacle. There is nothing wrong with either, it takes all kinds for sure.

But if you can remember how you FELT when Romeo Bandison grabbed Jake Plummer's face mask, then I can relate to you. If you can't then we are likely different types of fans. If you don't remember who Romeo Bandison is, then you probably don't view the Redskins the way I do-- and you are also probably a more stable human being :)

It is really a simple answer to me: is your team a part of your personal identity? Do you feel honest to goodness pain when things don't go well? Do you feel better about life in general when they do?

That is what defines a "true fan" for me. Now, it might not be the healthiest or most rational thing in the world, but I've met several fans over the years and I can usually tell within 10 minutes if they are "like me" or not. I can usually sense if they feel the pain or if they just enjoy the comradarie and spectacle. There is nothing wrong with either, it takes all kinds for sure.

But if you can remember how you FELT when Romeo Bandison grabbed Jake Plummer's face mask, then I can relate to you. If you can't then we are likely different types of fans. If you don't remember who Romeo Bandison is, then you probably don't view the Redskins the way I do-- and you are also probably a more stable human being :)

I completely forgot about that Cardinals game. Dang...here comes the pain...

And I agree with what you said. When it hurts, you're a fan. 

Actually when you feel pain when your team sucks and come back for more (like us), I count that as being a slightly obsessive and borderline insane fan (which is why this site is called EXTREMESKINS).

That's the first thing I tell ppl when talking about sports. My mom has to call and check up on me when the Skins are losing. It's really, really sad.

I got so pissed Sunday that I shed a "pissed off" tear...then quickly brushed it away.  :ph34r:

d ) Something else

I would say my answer is a hybrid of a) and d).  But here is the thing … a true fan NEVER, EVER, EVER, views their team with disdain.  You get pissed, but that leaves, and you carry on. Here is the other thing, if you are TRUE FAN, losses hurt, they hurt real bad.  They hurt so bad that the start of your week is a little marred by the loss. You have to be that invested in your team to be a REAL  fan.

I don’t think you have to name every player on the team, or know all the history … but, you need to know the majority of the players (maybe starters)  and you need to know the landmark events in a team’s history (i.e. Doug Williams’ second quarter, Brunell to Tana in Dallas,  etc.) 

And for those with deep emotional ties -- where do they come from? Why do the Redskins matter so much?

I was born in D.C., and grew up in the 80's ... Skins were kings.  My family also made a very huge deal about every Sunday.  Food,  yelling, screaming, winning, losing,  it was a blast.  I think growing up in the City, it was a just automatic.   You loved the Skins. 

d ) Something else

I would say my answer is a hybrid of a) and d).  But here is the thing … a true fan NEVER, EVER, EVER, views their team with disdain.  You get pissed, but that leaves, and you carry on. Here is the other thing, if you are TRUE FAN, losses hurt, they hurt real bad.  They hurt so bad that the start of your week is a little marred by the loss. You have to be that invested in your team to be a REAL  fan.

I don’t think you have to name every player on the team, or know all the history … but, you need to know the majority of the players (maybe starters)  and you need to know the landmark events in a team’s history (i.e. Doug Williams’ second quarter, Brunell to Tana in Dallas,  etc.) 

I was born in D.C., and grew up in the 80's ... Skins were kings.  My family also made a very huge deal about every Sunday.  Food,  yelling, screaming, winning, losing,  it was a blast.  I think growing up in the City, it was a just automatic.   You loved the Skins. 

strongly disagree.

Sure that may fit the bill for a lot of ES posters but some ppl love the team just as much but can still see it is just a game. My uncles all have ST and go every week but they don't let losses **** their week up. I envy them for that.

Um, it depends on " exactly how much flair you have". { que Office Space }

If you stick with one team through good and bad,winning and losing, great plays and swinging gate,  then you're a true fan.

In order to be a Redskins fan, you absolutely positively 110% without a doubt

M U S T

H A T E

D A L L A S,

with every single drop of blood in your body. Well, it works for me! :D

strongly disagree.

Sure that may fit the bill for a lot of ES posters but some ppl love the team just as much but can still see it is just a game. My uncles all have ST and go every week but they don't let losses **** their week up. I envy them for that.

I find it interesting that the guy with loyalties to at least three different cities (per his sig) is in here second guessing and disagreeing with everyone's opinion of what a true fan is.

Just an observation, brother...

Almost like you are "eager" to defend yourself ;)

Fan is short for the word fanatic.  Im a fanatic.  Im not going to give my huge background story on how i became a fan in STeeler country.  BUT, when I was younger, like 5-9 years old, I cried like a baby when the Skins lost.  I had insane superstitions.  From 10-16, I wouldnt go to school the Monday after a loss (or a Tuesday after a MNF game loss).  From 17-present day Im still a freak about it.  Im depressed when we lose, happy when we win.  My wife constantly yells at me when watching them because I cant sit still, I pace around, She always tells me to just stop watching them, but I cant.  I have a Redskins tattoo of my forearm.  A big tattoo of the helmet emblem/indian head.  Why am I such a big fan?  I dont know the actual reason for it.  But, I do know, I had an extremely hard upbringing and things happened to me I wouldnt wish on anyone.  The Redskins were my escape, they were the one thing I had that I could look forward to, and even when we went 4-12, or 10-6, I was going to watch every game and going to root them on.  It breaks my heart we are 0-3 right now.  Seriously, I get sad thinking about it.  This fan base has waited so long for something good and last year we thought we finally had it.  Funny part is, being a die hard Skins fan, its almost like this fear was in the back of our heads the whole time.  So here we are, 0-3, probably no shot at making the playoffs.  BUT, I will be here Sunday, and every Sunday, rooting them on. 

I find it interesting that the guy with loyalties to at least three different cities (per his sig) is in here second guessing and disagreeing with everyone's opinion of what a true fan is.

Dude seriously?  How can you judge that guy because he likes different teams from different cities in DIFFERENT SPORTS?!?!  God, this is why Im not a homer, I hate homers.  I live an hour away from Pittsburgh, does that mean I have to love the loser steelers?  I hate the steelers, hate the pirates, and hate the penguins.  I admire people who didnt just say "Oh they are the local team so Ill root for them." 

Im a Skins fan, thats all that matters, who cares if I like the Bulls in bball, or Notre Dame in college, or whatever?  How can you judge a guy that might not even be from DC? 

Dude seriously?  How can you judge that guy because he likes different teams from different cities in DIFFERENT SPORTS?!?!  God, this is why Im not a homer, I hate homers.  I live an hour away from Pittsburgh, does that mean I have to love the loser steelers?  I hate the steelers, hate the pirates, and hate the penguins.  I admire people who didnt just say "Oh they are the local team so Ill root for them." 

Im a Skins fan, thats all that matters, who cares if I like the Bulls in bball, or Notre Dame in college, or whatever?  How can you judge a guy that might not even be from DC? 

I never said there was anything wrong with it.

I merely said it was interesting that he just happens to fit that mold of fan and that he's responded to three different posters in this thread already, that's all.

It's my experience that those types of fans are more eager to defend why they are fans of teams from different areas.  As you've displayed above, I'm 2 for 2 :)

Don't know where that came from.

I made a point that just because someone doesn't die when their team loses (like we do), doesn't mean they aren't a true fan

I have nothing to defend sir

I never said there was anything wrong with it.

I merely said it was interesting that he just happens to fit that mold of fan and that he's responded to three different posters in this thread already, that's all.

It's my experience that those types of fans are more eager to defend why they are fans of teams from different areas.  As you've displayed above, I'm 2 for 2  :)

Maybe cause we have to defend it?  When you walk around this area with a REdskins jersey on, your usually laughed at, made fun of, and prodded.  But, it never stopped me from doing it.  Dont ever question someones fandom that isnt a homer.  That just proves my point that people that arent homers are bigger fanatics then ones that are.  We owe nothing to that team or city, yet we stayed through decades of losing (for me its been right around 25 years now of being a fan).  Let me ask you something, what takes more guts, walking into a Redskin bar in dc to watch the redskins vs steelers on mnf, or walking into a bar called "The black and gold bar" where theres over 150 steeler fans, and your the one wearing a Redskin jersey.  Say what you will, but dont question a persons fan hood just cause hes not a raging homer.

No such thing as a true fan. As long as you don't change teams every two years and stick with one, you're fine. The whole "true fan thing" is complete bull****. Be a homer, a realist, a booer, a non-booer. Who cares as long as you love your squad. 

My sports teams are kinda odd but one thing that is prevalent throughout my family is the 'Skins. A lot of ST holders in my immediate family.

That answers it perfectly.

Oh, apologies.

Honestly, true answer is what was said earlier. Dont jump ship.  Stick with your team.  Fans of teams like the Redskins, or even worse, Lions and Browns fans.  Those are true fans right there. 

We may have it bad... but I'll raise anyone in here a Cleveland or a Buffalo, lol.  Great point.

I expect more from you dude

Again, Warpath, I was just making an observation.  I don't hate on anyone that likes teams from different areas, but I think it's interesting and I'm just not sure how it's possible. 

I do always raise an eyebrow when I see traditional powers Lakers or Bulls and Yankees in anyone's favorites, though.

We may have it bad... but I'll raise anyone in here a Cleveland or a Buffalo, lol. Great point.

Again, Warpath, I was just making an observation. I don't hate on anyone that likes teams from different areas, but I think it's interesting and I'm just not sure how it's possible.

I do always raise an eyebrow when I see traditional powers Lakers or Bulls and Yankees in anyone's favorites, though.

Hey man...to each his own

If you think you're a better fan than me for that, that's cool.

I don't make apologies for my teams nor do I feel the need to defend them to anyone. That has nothing to do with the thread and to be honest, you came across as a dick.

But like I said it's cool man

Touchy subject for me.  I have a friend from college who is from DC and said no matter what Im not a true fan just because Im not from the area.  I think its ridiculous people think like that.

I wouldn't say that is a rediculous statement to make.  If you are a Redskins fan from outside of DC you are as loyal as they come  :lol:

To your friend's point, though... if they were implying that this city hasn't had a winner in 20 plus years and haven't had a winner outside of the Redskins in almost 40 years... and you are able to say something like, "Oh, I'm a Lakers fan in basketball" then you may not fully appreciate the "homer" point of view of being a DC sports fan.

And thems the beats, bubba.

Hey man...to each his own

But like I said it's cool man

BLUF for me, Warpath, this is a better board with you on it.  I don't care who your other teams are.

I tried to explain where I'm coming from to redskins4ever above.  Maybe that'll shed a little more light on where I'm coming from.

Archived