Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wired - Does Marijuana Make You Stupid?

Mad Mike

:munchout:
Haha, don't worry, I won't be around to quote any peer reviewed studies regarding effects on the brain (particularly among the young generation) and annoy posters around here :)

I have to head out and hit places on my "list" who just so happen to "unknowingly" and illegally be dispensing MMJ to kids and other geniuses without MMJ cards. All I will say, it this MMJ thing is a complete scam. I'm happy for actual people who have diseases and this helps them, but I'd say that's about less than 5% in CO...the rest is just a joke and it's annoying as hell to crack down on and hear the retarded excuses by shop owners and users.

Haha, don't worry, I won't be around to quote any peer reviewed studies regarding effects on the brain (particularly among the young generation) and annoy posters around here :)

I have to head out and hit places on my "list" who just so happen to "unknowingly" and illegally be dispensing MMJ to kids and other geniuses without MMJ cards. All I will say, it this MMJ thing is a complete scam. I'm happy for actual people who have diseases and this helps them, but I'd say that's about less than 5% in CO...the rest is just a joke and it's annoying as hell to crack down on and hear the retarded excuses by shop owners and users.

I personally would love to read some solid evidence from peer reviewed studies that prove MMJ has lasting effects on the brain or how THC is addictive or anything that makes it a gateway drug or more harmful that alcohol or cigarettes. Post away sister, post away!

So what's my point? My point is we live in a society where peoples minds are numbed with reality TV, very addictive products containing chemically altered tobacco and alcohol, a substance that probably does more damage to almost every society/culture in the world than probably any single substance on the planet, are acceptable. But, a substance like MMJ which has little to no adverse or long lasting affects on anything is demonized the way it is. A substance that can relax you, ease social anxiety, make you laugh, eases pain, doesn't cause people to fight and may just open doors in your mind to some creative thoughts. That bad, bad marijuana, such an evil little drug. I bet it's making blacks rape white women as we speak!

It's funny ZoEd, your post makes me think of one of my best buddies (his names Ed too). Good family man, works his ass off and just an all around good guy. He's stuck with liquor if he wants to chemically unwind even though he'd rather smoke. The liquor is bad for him because he's a little over weight and the effect is not calming like dope. Plus with pot there's no hangover and once you pass 40 those suddenly become 10 times worse.

His wife would leave him in second though if he ever got mixed up in illegal drugs (no matter which kind) and the bank where he works would not be very understanding either. It's moronic because all involved would be better off if he could smoke instead of drink but we're not there yet. It is coming, IMO, and none too soon.

I personally would love to read some solid evidence from peer reviewed studies that prove MMJ has lasting effects on the brain or how THC is addictive or anything that makes it a gateway drug or more harmful that alcohol or cigarettes. Post away sister, post away!

So what's my point? My point is we live in a society where peoples minds are numbed with reality TV, very addictive products containing chemically altered tobacco and alcohol, a substance that probably does more damage to almost every society/culture in the world than probably any single substance on the planet, are acceptable. But, a substance like MMJ which has little to no adverse or long lasting affects on anything is demonized the way it is. A substance that can relax you, ease social anxiety, make you laugh, eases pain, doesn't cause people to fight and may just open doors in your mind to some creative thoughts. That bad, bad marijuana, such an evil little drug. I bet it's making blacks rape white women as we speak!

And BOOM goes the dynamite. Spot on my friend, spot on. I love it when people try to say marijuana has long lasting negative effects on the body and is an evil drug and so on and so forth. Yet they'll go home and drink their liquor and smoke their cancer sticks and not give a second thought about it. Whatever, they can kill themselves slowly, while I relax and ease my mind with nature's wonder that is Marijuana. :)

By smoking it.

:ols:

Any weedshop or decent pot dealer would know the difference and be able to tell you where the "grow" they are selling came from. Ultimately, though, everyone has different body chemistry so you just have to try different strains to see which one works best for your ailment. A decent hybrid might be just what you are looking for but speak to a herbalist or weed doctor to make sure.

What if the bud looks like a seedless chunky nugget and is light green with white and orange hairlike things in it? Would this be sativa or indica?

What if the bud looks like a seedless chunky nugget and is light green with white and orange hairlike things in it? Would this be sativa or indica?

If I remember correctly, it would likely be indica or a hybrid.

Back when I used to use the stuff, I did lots and lots of research on it. Sativa are taller plants while indica are shorter. For that reason, sativa is normally grown outdoors because of the large size of the plants while indica is much easier to grow indoors hydroponically. When plants are grown outdoors, it gives them the opportunity to pollinate and thus form seeds in the buds. Therefore most, if not all, of the marijuana you see that has seeds will likely be sativa. Sativa is native to North America while indica is native to Asia. Since indica is much easier to grow indoors, it allows the grower the ability to control the growing process therefore guaranteeing a maximum yield.

All that said, all of the professional stuff is a hybrid of the two. The damn hippies have figured out a way to get the best of both types of marijuana into one seed. And I thought marijuana made you stupid...

Thanks for all the info. It sounds like this is indica or a hybrid like you suggest b/c it doesn't have any seeds in the bud at all.

well, here goes nothin'....

****! I hate you! Lol...when I retire I'm going to blaze...don't know that I'll smoke all the time or even a lot, but I most definitely will leave the kids with grams and paw paw and the wife and I will go someplace quiet, maybe a lake or the beach, smoke a big fat bowl and just chill.

I don't think anyone is arguing with the studies that show MJ is harmful to the young. So is alcohol. And like alcohol MJ should be restricted to use by those 21 and older. Anyone selling MJ *OR* alcohol should be prosecuted.

As for MMJ dispensaries, they shouldn't even be necessary. Not when a much more harmful drug like alcohol is available at the local grocery store. It simply does not make sense.

Please, I hear these excuses from potheads I talk to each and everyday when I inspect their "MMJ" dispensaries (which many have underage girls in bikinis with signs "MMJ THIS WAY" they're dancing around on the nearest street corners with like prostitutes). Very impressive way to advertise legitimate businesses... I've taken pictures on my FDA phone because it's so ridiculous and my colleagues and I in the health department get a good laugh about it.

Anyway, I would like to start out with the fact that your post makes you sound like a moron. First, I have never said THC is addictive and there is not an alcohol problem in this country. And I am I VERY WELL aware that we have a MAJOR prescription drug problem in America that I would personally love to address more firmly. That being said, those do not negate the issues there are with recreational marijuana use (for the record, I agree with people who legitimately need MMJ...which I would say is about 5% here in CO). Everyone else just wants to smoke this crap because they believe it's their God given right. I hear the "it's natural," "why the government shouldn't be involved," it's our RIGHT, damnit!!!!" "it carries with it no detrimental health effects," blah blah blah blah blah.

Clearly, you get your information from pro-marijuana blogs, not actual scientists who study the effects of this stuff. Which doesn't surprise me....pretty much par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

First, I suggest go to a place called "Google Scholar." There is a plethora of studies that prove the long term effect of chronic smoking on cognitive development and memory, predisposition to psychosis behavior (particularly among people who begin smoking at a young age...which we all know is a prevalent trend).

I have spent a whole damn day doing inspections with marijuana dispensers lying their asses off to me and am completely over this subject at the moment. If you want, which I seriously doubt, you can peruse google scholar using key words like "lone term mj use and brain function," "cognitive effects of long term mj use," "effects of mj use on adolescent mind," "predisposition to psychosis with long term mj use," etc. I'm suspect as more research continues to come out, you pot lovers won't be as apt to herald the wonderful benefits of pot use...

Sorry, I'm too tired look these use up for you. I have confidence you can do this...particularly with the state of deep thinking you'll be in shortly :)

Please, I hear these excuses from potheads I talk to each and everyday when I inspect their "MMJ" dispensaries (which many have underage girls in bikinis with signs "MMJ THIS WAY" they're dancing around on the nearest street corners with like prostitutes). Very impressive way to advertise legitimate businesses... I've taken pictures on my FDA phone because it's so ridiculous and my colleagues and I in the health department get a good laugh about it.

Anyway, I would like to start out with the fact that your post makes you sound like a moron. First, I have never said THC is addictive and there is not an alcohol problem in this country. And I am I VERY WELL aware that we have a MAJOR prescription drug problem in America that I would personally love to address more firmly. That being said, those do not negate the issues there are with recreational marijuana use (for the record, I agree with people who legitimately need MMJ...which I would say is about 5% here in CO). Everyone else just wants to smoke this crap because they believe it's their God given right. I hear the "it's natural," "why the government shouldn't be involved," it's our RIGHT, damnit!!!!" "it carries with it no detrimental health effects," blah blah blah blah blah.

Clearly, you get your information from pro-marijuana blogs, not actual scientists who study the effects of this stuff. Which doesn't surprise me....pretty much par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

First, I suggest go to a place called "Google Scholar." There is a plethora of studies that prove the long term effect of chronic smoking on cognitive development and memory, predisposition to psychosis behavior (particularly among people who begin smoking at a young age...which we all know is a prevalent trend).

I have spent a whole damn day doing inspections with marijuana dispensers lying their asses off to me and am completely over this subject at the moment. If you want, which I seriously doubt, you can peruse google scholar using key words like "lone term mj use and brain function," "cognitive effects of long term mj use," "effects of mj use on adolescent mind," "predisposition to psychosis with long term mj use," etc. I'm suspect as more research continues to come out, you pot lovers won't be as apt to herald the wonderful benefits of pot use...

Sorry, I'm too tired look these use up for you. I have confidence you can do this...particularly with the state of deep thinking you'll be in shortly :)

Wow, never known you to be one for name calling, moron and pothead, man you pulled out all the stops. But whatever, for every study you can produce twenty contradicting them can be produced by those on the other side of the debate. Your use of the word "chronic" is the key there sister. Like many of us said, anything in excess is probably bad for you, too much sugar, sun, fat, tv, video games, cigarettes, alcohol, hell even water. I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating a free for all society where everyone wake and bakes everyday of their lives. But you being so intelligent, and me being such a moron, why is it so hard for you to admit that alcohol is a million times worse for our society, **** that, for the world, than pot could ever be? How can you rationalize that? Seriously, talk about moronic.

So you have heartburn with the dispenseries, ok, I get that, but be pissed at the idiots for breaking the rules, it's not the pot that's bad, it's the idiots trying to make a buck. Just like the grocery store down the street selling alcohol and cigarettes to minors. Everything you say about pot, well, it can be said about the accepted substances in society. Accept one thing, the moronic view that THC isn't addictive, like alcohol and cigarettes. YOU CAN NOT BECOME CHEMICALLY DEPENDENT ON THC, in case you missed it. So, if you start smoking pot at 12 can it **** you up for life? Can it cause you to be a blubbering idiot by the time you're 30? Probably. If you start smoking marlboro reds at 12, is it possible you could get cancer? Probably.

I'm sorry, no matter what google scholar, the FDA, DEA, or you say, you simply can't convince me that pot is such a horrible thing. Not when we allow alcohol and cigarettes to be legal, they're made by man to do one thing, make you addicted, rationalize that for me. Better yet, I'll go "google scholar" it.

And OBTW, I won't be smoking anytime soon and haven't for over 22 years, the military frowns upon pot heads. I guess they allow morons though.

I thought it was odd that she put you on blast as well ZoEd. Perhaps she had one to many beverages tonight. :silly:

I haven't smoked in about 20 years or so myself. I don't paint with such a broad stroke about people that happen to smoke however. Especially since I have known so many very successful people that smoke on a regular basis.

Wow, never known you to be one for name calling, moron and pothead, man you pulled out all the stops. But whatever, for every study you can produce twenty contradicting them can be produced by those on the other side of the debate. Your use of the word "chronic" is the key there sister. Like many of us said, anything in excess is probably bad for you, too much sugar, sun, fat, tv, video games, cigarettes, alcohol, hell even water. I don't think anyone in this thread is advocating a free for all society where everyone wake and bakes everyday of their lives. But you being so intelligent, and me being such a moron, why is it so hard for you to admit that alcohol is a million times worse for our society, **** that, for the world, than pot could ever be? How can you rationalize that? Seriously, talk about moronic.

So you have heartburn with the dispenseries, ok, I get that, but be pissed at the idiots for breaking the rules, it's not the pot that's bad, it's the idiots trying to make a buck. Just like the grocery store down the street selling alcohol and cigarettes to minors. Everything you say about pot, well, it can be said about the accepted substances in society. Accept one thing, the moronic view that THC isn't addictive, like alcohol and cigarettes. YOU CAN NOT BECOME CHEMICALLY DEPENDENT ON THC, in case you missed it. So, if you start smoking pot at 12 can it **** you up for life? Can it cause you to be a blubbering idiot by the time you're 30? Probably. If you start smoking marlboro reds at 12, is it possible you could get cancer? Probably.

I'm sorry, no matter what google scholar, the FDA, DEA, or you say, you simply can't convince me that pot is such a horrible thing. Not when we allow alcohol and cigarettes to be legal, they're made by man to do one thing, make you addicted, rationalize that for me. Better yet, I'll go "google scholar" it.

And OBTW, I won't be smoking anytime soon and haven't for over 22 years, the military frowns upon pot heads. I guess they allow morons though.

I didn't call you a moron. I said your statement made you sound like one. Big difference. And yes, every single mmj dispensary I investigate (5-10) a week, the owners and workers are bonefied potheads and high as hell 90% of the time. Some can't even formulate a sentence when I show my badge. Excuse me if I get annoyed with these freaking idiots. At least the liquor stores and cigar shops I inspect I can have a pleasant conversation with the owners where they aren't blowing smoke up my ass.

Finally, the attitude in your post is the exact reason I don't even bother to put up any type of scientific, peer reviewed articles about effects of marijuana on brain development, long term effects, brain chemistry effects of young users, and on and on and on. Pot advocates already have their minds made up about how good this "natural goodness from the gods" is.

And for the record, I have a major problem with the current state of alcohol and tobacoo laws too. So at least we have that in common. :)

---------- Post added August-20th-2011 at 08:15 PM ----------

I thought it was odd that she put you on blast as well ZoEd. Perhaps she had one to many beverages tonight. :silly:

I haven't had anything to drink tonight. Or smoke. Or snort. Or anything else.

I worked today doing tobacco and mmj inspections and am annoyed with the lack of knowledge out there amoung the general public about the cluster**** that this MMJ issue has become. I suspect if more people were out on the front lines seeing what's really going on, their tunes would change a bit....particularly when they start working with the local PD and see how dealers are actively using this MMJ, lacing it with other substances, and marketing it to youth.

So yeah, this is a touchy issue with me.

Once again. If someone is marketing or selling MJ to kids they should be busted and prosecuted just like someone selling alcohol to minors. 21 and over should ABSOLUTELY be the rule of law. And I don't doubt that there are low lives running some dispensaries. Guess what, there are low lives running bars too. Are we to assume that alcohol should be banned because there are sleazy bars? Kids don't need dispensaries to get MJ. They've been getting it for as long as it's been around. Dispensaries don't make it any easier, and maybe if it was regulated and sold in the same manner as alcohol we could better have an public conversation about it's proper, responsible use.

Nothing you have stated about pot can't be said about alcohol. Drinking from a young age? Bad. Drinking with a "predisposition to psychosis behavior"? Yup, that's bad too. Drinking when you are an alcoholic?... Oh wait, MJ is proven not to be addictive. I guess we should just ignore that one. When is the last time you saw someone smoke so much that it killed them? When is the last time you saw someone get high, go on a rampage and beat their wife? Let's see the statistics for people killed on because of driving while drunk compared to driving while high. I invite YOU to read about some of the studies about the negative affects of alcohol.

You throw out this 5% legit number. Are you a doctor? What qualifies you to judge who gets a benefit from it's use? Do you think you are qualified to tell me if it can help me? Who gave you the right to determine what is and isn't a "God given right"?

PLEASE. Explain how MJ is worse than alcohol. And if you cant, how do you justify that alcohol is legal while MJ is not?

And BTW I just want to say, I've always liked and respected you even when I've disagreed with you. Still do. But the fact is in many ways, I am a "pot head" I've smoked on and off since I was 18. Sometimes a lot. And I find your characterization of pot smokers as idiots pretty insulting. Would you say *I* cant formulate a sentence? You might not agree with me on every issue but am I a moron? If we weren't having this conversation, would you even guess that I smoke pot?

You keep telling us to look at studies but you have completely ignored the study this thread is based on.

The scientists looked at the long-term cognitive effects of marijuana use in nearly 2,000 subjects between the ages of 20 and 24. The subjects were divided (based on self-reports) into several different categories, from total abstainers (n = 420) to “current light users” (n = 71) to “former heavy users” (n = 60). Over the course of eight years, the scientists gave the subjects a battery of standard cognitive tests, most of which focused on working memory, verbal memory and intelligence. One of the important advantages of this study is that the scientists controlled for a number of relevant variables, such as education and gender. In Time, Maia Szalavitz explains why this statistical adjustment is necessary:

The lower education levels of the pot smokers — and their greater likelihood of being male — had made it look like marijuana had significantly affected their intelligence. In fact, men simply tend to do worse than women on tests of verbal intelligence, while women generally underperform on math tests. The relative weighting of the tests made the impact of pot look worse than it was.

Once these population differences were corrected for, the long-term effects of marijuana use disappeared: The scientists found that “there were no significant between group differences.” In other words, the amount of pot consumed had no measurable impact on cognitive performance.

In other words, the people you have dealt with aren't morons *because* they smoke pot. They are morons who happen to smoke pot.

Katie,

I can't dispute anything you said, but IMO some of the crap you encounter dealing with the inspections and law enforcement may be another reason to just legalize it and tax the crap out of it.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 12:38 AM ----------

Let's see the statistics for people killed on because of driving while drunk compared to driving while high

I sure as heck won't be driving anywhere for the evening, that's for sure. Everything is in super slow motion- almost like I'm in a dream, I have to read everything twice, my fingers are tingly, and all I can think about is grapes and corndogs. But other than that I feel pretty happy :D. My anxiety is COMPLETELY gone.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,8&q=effects+of+alcohol+on+brain+development

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=effects+of+marijuana+on+brain+development+&as_sdt=0%2C8&as_ylo=&as_vis=0

Taking your advice, seems to be a lot less studies about pot and its effects compared to alcohol. Bu who cares? I mean, the potheads running dispensaries is all you need to know to pass judgement on the rest of the moronic potheads, whether they're "chronic" users or recreational users over the age of consent. Love how you cherry pick your facts while ignoring that THC isn't addictive, but whatever, there's potheads running dispensaries. I guess stating facts makes a person sound moronic, but I'd love for you to show me where anything I said was a lie, fabricated or taken from a pro pot blog, which by the way I've never read in my entire life.

I've actually done extensive research and read tons of pro and anti pot research. And what it boils down to is "chronic" use is bad but not permanent unless used during a very young age. But riddle me this batman, aren't most toxins more damaging during developmental periods from infant through adolosence? Even the anti pot articles say that there is no proof that THC is addictive, not even in rats. THC also doesn't damage your liver, kidneys, eyes or any other organs besides your lungs, but if you're smoking that much pot then you probably have bigger issues. Most articles against pot like to "but" you to death. It's not addictive "but", look at this brain scan! Kind of like the ecstasy eating holes in your brain, oh wait, the Brits proved that one wrong didn't they? I mean the AMERICAN doctor who did that study, the study that the DEA adopted as gospel and propigated ad nauseum, he claimed it ate wholes in your brain, but too bad he used PCPor LSD, can't remember which. The Brits study actually contradicted everything he reported, but why let facts get in the way? I mean, there's potheads running dispenseries in CO.

Bottom line, pot has been demonized in America for one reason and one reason only, money. Then we strong armed, bullied actually, the rest of the world into demonizing it as well, using fabricated studies and fictitious stories about it making black people rape white women. However, almost every single "fact" has been debunked over and over again, yet we still have our heads in the sand. Why? Why do we continue to spend billions of dollars paying you, the police, DEA, ANG, Border patrol, state prisons, prosecuting and jailing people who use pot? Why do we still claim that it's a gateway drug even though there's absolutely no proof? Why do we continue to demonize it when alcohol probably kills more people in one day than MMJ does in a year? Hell, maybe even 5 or 10 years. Why do we allow cigarette companies poison people with chemically laced tobacco for the sole purpose of making them addictive? Money, money, money! If you're cool with that, good for you, but I would argue that rationalizing that alcohol and cigarettes should be legal while MMJ is not, makes you sound much more moronic than me. Just saying.

So, let me "relate" to you a little bit. You see, you get fed up policing dispensaries in CO and interacting with potheads. Let me tell you what I do, for the past there years I was a First Sergeant in the AF and have had the pleasure of dealing with my fair share of idiots. Everything from a young man driving his daughter to daycare with a .18 BAC to multiple DUI's, fights, sexual assaults, personal injuries, ruined careers, domestic violence, child neglect, attempted suicide and even death, all because of alcohol. I guess I can relate, you can't stand potheads and I can't stand drunks. Look at the list of things I've dealt with over the past three years, how many of these issues have you encountered where MMJ was to blame?

I don't need google scholar to tell me about the adverse effects alcohol, not when I've seen it with my own two eyes my entire life. I wish my Dad would have smoked some pot, maybe he wouldn't have smacked my Mom around when I was a kid, maybe my best friend wouldn't have put that 45 in his mouth and pulled the trigger, maybe 4 of my fellow Airmen would still be alive instead of being smashed against a wall by a drunk German truck driver. Sorry, but a doritio eating pothead saying "dude" and laughing his ass off is harmless. Just saying. BTW, at least you have a job, looks like they're keeping you employed.

Katie,

I can't dispute anything you said, but IMO some of the crap you encounter dealing with the inspections and law enforcement may be another reason to just legalize it and tax the crap out of it.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 12:38 AM ----------

I sure as heck won't be driving anywhere for the evening, that's for sure. Everything is in super slow motion- almost like I'm in a dream, I have to read everything twice, my fingers are tingly, and all I can think about is grapes and corndogs. But other than that I feel pretty happy :D. My anxiety is COMPLETELY gone.

It's an old joke with some truth. People get high, think about driving, then sit down with a bag of cheetos and watch the Tube. :ols:

For the record, I don't believe people should drive while high, any more than they should drive drunk. But a lot of people do without the same death or accident rate as alcohol. Mainly (IMO) because you can only get but so stoned. It might make you a little spaced out or sleepy, but it doesn't make you lose control over motor functions or black out. And again, I'm not saying its OK to drive spaced out or sleepy. But there are real reasons so many people die from alcohol related deaths vs Pot.

And *you*!... Take it easy there champ! If this is new to you, one or two tokes is all you need. :silly:

You throw out this 5% legit number. Are you a doctor? What qualifies you to judge who gets a benefit from it's use? Do you think you are qualified to tell me if it can help me? Who gave you the right to determine what is and isn't a "God given right"?

PLEASE. Explain how MJ is worse than alcohol. And if you cant, how do you justify that alcohol is legal while MJ is not?

No mad mike. I am not a physician. I get that 5% number from law enforcement people I work with. We could be wrong. Maybe it's 6%. My bad.

The whole argument about tobacco and alcohol and being harmful to health is a DUH argument. No one will argue with you about that. This is very well documented. The problem is, the can of worms has already been opened. What do you think would happen if these were suddenly outlawed? It would be a complete cluster**** to deal with. What needs to happen, is that stricter laws need to be implemented in regards to these substances (eg. MUCH stricter punishments for driving under the influence, even higher taxes on cigarettes, much stricter punishments for tobacco retailers who unlawfully sell to kids, or don't abide by advertising and labeling laws - right now the punishments are an absolute joke because of legal technicalities that are going to take years to iron out).

The last thing we need is to legalize yet another substance that enables a larger percentage of the population to gain access to. Everyone says "yeah, well we can just tax the heck out of it." Yeah right, maybe in a few decades when all the tax laws make it through the courts and the appeals process...same thing that's happening now with tobacco. Just as the same with the laws regarding minors with tobacco...and the nuiances regarding what type of weed it is, how it's packaged, what flavor, what grade, etc. is going to be a PAIN IN THE ASS and people doing this type of work get this. Trust me, I deal with this crap everyday. On my inspections, I can bust flavored cigarettes, but not flavored cigars, not swisher sweets, but flavored smokeless tobacco, but not snus, not dissovables, etc. etc. etc.

There are loopholes with all this tobacco and alcohol stuff and people who think that will be different with weed are sorely mistaken. It's going to be a major problem.

Now, if you want you hear me say weed is worse than alcohol, Mad Mike, you'll be waiting for awhile. I won't say that. Alcohol, tobacco, AND weed are bad for someone's health. The people who keep bringing up the question why alcohol is legal and weed is not, well, ALCOHOL IS ALREADY LEGAL. YOU CAN'T PUT THE GENIE BACK INTO THE BOTTLE. You can try to regulate at an increasing level. But the answer to that is to NOT LEGALIZE another harmful substance. How does that make any sense whatesoever? Good Lord people. I'm sick of this mindset "Damnit!!! Alcohol's legal and that's bad, so obviously, we should just legalize everything! yay"

It's an old joke with some truth. People get high, think about driving, then sit down with a bag of cheetos and watch the Tube. :ols:

For the record, I don't believe people should drive while high, any more than they should drive drunk. But a lot of people do without the same death or accident rate as alcohol. Mainly (IMO) because you can only get but so stoned. It might make you a little spaced out or sleepy, but it doesn't make you lose control over motor functions or black out. And again, I'm not saying its OK to drive spaced out or sleepy. But there are real reasons so many people die from alcohol related deaths vs Pot.

And *you*!... Take it easy there champ! If this is new to you, one or two tokes is all you need. :silly:

I only had a few puffs (WAYYYY more than enough). I think I stared at the TV for what felt like 2 hours (turned out to be about 10 minutes) before I realized I was really, really hungry. I'm coming down now, but overall it was a pleasant experience :D I will say, that for people with anxiety problems, it works really well. Better than any script I've ever taken. Only thing is it doesn't last long enough, so I'd have to smoke like every couple of hours to keep my anxiety at bay.

Keeastman, I have one question. Have you ever smoked marijuana?

Now, sorry if I'm wrong but you are really deflecting and derailing the point of the OP. That's fine with me though, I just thought I'd point that out. You're on the subject of MMJ and general marijuana policy so I'll speak to that. I actually agree with you about MMJ. I'd bet that a very small fraction of people who are prescribed marijuana actually need it to survive or make their dismal lives liveable. Most of the people walking into those dispensaries don't actually need the substance. MMJ is by and large a sham to lead to the legalization of pot. If that's the step that it takes to get it legal though, I'm all for it. Sorry your job involves you going in to hear people feed you loads of **** and lie to you all day long.

I won't even compare marijuana to alcohol as others will like to do. I agree that it isn't as bad as alcohol but that is no reason to make a substance illegal [or keep it that way]. Arguing that because marijuana isn't as bad for you as alcohol shouldn't be valid. Hell, even driving under the influence of marijuana isn't as bad as DUI of alcohol... but my point remains.

Responsible usage of marijuana doesn't make someone a less productive member of society, it doesn't make them stupid, it doesn't cause them to commit crimes. Many, many folks will agree that users of marijuana have contributed very much to our society as far as the arts are concerned. I don't see a reason to keep it illegal. I don't see a reason to imprison folks who are convicted of the possession and distribution of the substance. Often times (many times) a person found to be in possession of a large amount of marijuana is charged with distribution even though it was intended for personal use. If you can't see that our justice system is completely ass backward when it comes to marijuana, then I don't think we'll ever see an agreement.

Back to my original thought though. Have you ever even tried the stuff?

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 01:33 AM ----------

I only had a few puffs (WAYYYY more than enough). I think I stared at the TV for what felt like 2 hours (turned out to be about 10 minutes) before I realized I was really, really hungry. I'm coming down now, but overall it was a pleasant experience :D I will say, that for people with anxiety problems, it works really well. Better than any script I've ever taken. Only thing is it doesn't last long enough, so I'd have to smoke like every couple of hours to keep my anxiety at bay.

It's funny that you say that. Anxiety is what made me quit smoking weed.

Archived