Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 hours ago, Destino said:

Beal and Wall clearly bumped heads before becoming the duo they are now.  I doubt Otto is going to be fighting dudes in practice, so let's hope coach can guide them along the process.  Otto needs to stay aggressive, but the other two need to trust him even when his shot isn't falling early.  

I like to think Wall has matured enough by now to know that he NEEDS to feed his shooters all night regardless and if they can't do it in the 4th then it's his time to take over. It's corney but they really do need to win and loose as a team not just 2 stars and everyone else. 

Edited by Llevron

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I like to think Wall has matured enough by now to know that he NEEDS to feed his shooters all night regardless and if they can't do it in the 4th then it's his time to take over. It's corney but they really do need to win and loose as a team not just 2 stars and everyone else. 

The reason Porter went off was because Wall kept feeding him.  After being spoonfed a bunch of good looks by Wall, eventually Otto started creating from the post.  But that too happened because Wall held up the offense and directed him to the post and then made the entry pass.

It's almost never Wall's fault when Otto disappears.  It happens because Otto's activity level plummets.  He's a deferential personality who doesn't look to assert himself like Wall and Beal do.  Also, when Wall and Beal go into takeover mode, they don't start chucking.  They still look to pass, but you have to run two man game or pick and roll or at least move with them to get open to get the look.

Finally, one last reason Otto gets fewer looks in the fourth is because so much of his scoring comes from being the primary transition finisher and we stop running fast breaks late in games where we have the lead and are trying to eat clock.

47 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Team still needs to find a backup PG.

Frazier's coming off of injury so maybe he's rusty. Hard to play bball with groin injuries. 

I think Frazier's going to be alright.  He's not a scorer, but he's a real point guard.  He actually gets the team into half court sets and engages with each of them, distributes the ball around, and works the refs.  He's got the leadership qualities necessary of a PG and we haven't really had that in our back up for a while.  And that's been a major reason why we haven't gotten anything out of our bench even though we'll get solid role players.  This is a PG-centric system because the entire organizational structure was built around Wall.

With Frazier, we should see things like successful pick and rolls with Mahinmi.  You wouldn't know it from last year, but Mahinmi is actually a high level PnR finisher.  We should see drive and kicks to Meeks and backdoor cuts to Oubre.  Staples that the starters run without effort but that the bench has never been able to go to.  He needs to get comfortable with the other guys first, and the bench still needs a go to scorer, but Frazier has the ability to run point and set the table for a functional offense.

I also thought the gripes about his defense were way over the top.  He did a good job on Ish Smith in the third and fourth quarters last night.  The reason the bench pushed the lead to 15 was because they played such good defense and Smith had to end a ton of possessions by chucking up a bad shot, and Frazier was on him for the stretch.

In general, I thought Scott Brooks figured out some interesting rotations last night.  Putting Beal and/or Otto with Frazier/Meeks/Oubre/Mahinmi as the go to scorer for the line up worked.  And using Mike Scott with the starters in the fourth quarter for defensive purposes was a good idea that surprised me.  I didn't realize Mike Scott was a good defender.  My understanding of him he was an undersized PF whose primary value was spotting up and hitting from three.  Brooks did a good job with his rotations last night, the only real mistake was not getting the starters back in soon enough in the fourth to kill Detroit's run.  Should have gotten them in at +11 instead of +8, by the time they came in Detroit was hot and got that eight point lead down to zero.

• Like 1

Just now, Fight4RGIII said:

Eric Bledsoe just tweeted that he doesn’t want to be where he is. Mahimi + 2018 1st for Bledsoe? Probably not enough to get it done but it would solve a problem

It would create one.  Bledsoe thinks he's a star, no chance he's happy coming off the bench.

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

It would create one.  Bledsoe thinks he's a star, no chance he's happy coming off the bench.

I thought he was great friends with Wall but I could be wrong. He’s only gonna be a star on a garbage team and he’s unhappy doing that.

I could see it becoming a problem in the sense that our backup Center would be Smith and his health isn’t too great.

In the end, I don’t think PHX would be interested in that deal. They can probably fetch a better deal.

Edited by SuperBash

Bledsoe doesn't solve our biggest issue: the 5-man. Marcin is 33 now. He needs to be playing much less in order to be effective. mahinmi is the biggest issue of the roster. However, Bledsoe is on a decent contract and would fix our backup guard position. ( if of course he was ok with coming off the bench, and I doubt this). Mahinmi + Frazier + 2nd. 

I make that Bledsoe trade yesterday.  Even if he's unhappy he gets us out of Mahinmi early.  Bledsoe and Wall also gets you Cousins if you can clear the cap room for him or get his Bird Rights via trade.  100% guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

our old friend Paul Millsap plays for the nuggets now, we see him tomorrow in Denver.  Do we have any power forwards to guard him?  

Mike Scott is going to get a lot of minutes I think.

• Like 1