Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Got to meet Joe Gibbs this past week

repo_4

I got to hear him speak at one of his Game Plan for Life functions. A very good time with lots of great stories. I got to meet him, chat for a minute and get an autograph afterwards. It was awsome to get to meet a childhood idol. Figured I would share it with people who could understand my excitement. :) He signed the helmet sitting on the table there for me.

[ATTACH]47622[/ATTACH]

A guy I grew up next door to knew Joe a bit -- friend's dad was a surgeon at FFx Hospital and my friend knew Joe's kids fairly well. Anyway, friend brought another friend over to meet Joe years ago and the idiot (2nd friend) stammered that he was really a Giants fan. Joe said that it was alright, he forgave him. Joe Gibbs, more class than most men should be allowed to have.

Joe Theismann is coming to the Cheyenne Catholic school for a fund raiser. I'm going, Hope to get an autograph, does he charge for them? I'm going to wear my Redskins jacket anyway.

True story: When I was working the 'Skins/Bills in preseason this year, I went to the bathroom in the pressbox. I was washing my hands and Joe Theismann was next to me fixing his hair. He sprayed hair spray in my eye.

Greatest moment of my life.

Yeah it would have been nice if it was advertised. Would have loved to have gone. Loved seeing the coverage on the news :( Glad you got to go though.

I think it was word of mouth through local churches. My boss got tickets for us. I didnt see the news coverage (saw the trucks there) but there was i would guess 1700-1800 people there. Gibbs said it was the biggest turnout they had in doing those functions.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 10:35 AM ----------

Nice, did you talk to him about RG3 & the current skins?

I didnt. There were alot of people in line and he looked really tired. The function was geared towards men so my wife did not get to attend. I joked with him about her being mad at me for leaving her behind. After signing my helmet and taking the picture, he wrote her a little note on a card that he hated he had missed her. He is nothing but a class man.

I've never gotten to meet any Redskin players or coaches. the closest I came was in 1983 in Alexandria, I was stopped at a light waiting to make a left turn. There was a car in front of me; the door opened, and a guy got out and started to walk straight toward me. He was looking right at me! I have no doubt, he was wondering what was wrong with me, cause I sure my eyes were popping out of my head, and my jaw was somewhere in my lap. He got something out of his trunk, and went back. My girlfriend at the time said "That was Joe Theismann, wasn't it?"

These stories are awesome.

I was 5 years old when I first met a Redskins player and, sadly, haven't since. When training camp was set up in Frostbug, MD I got to go with all the other kids to meet the team. Darrell Green was there. Never looked back; that cemented my Skins fandom for life.

I met him and the entire family back in '90 or so(I was about 15). Wish I was thinking and got an autograph. My best friend raced motocross and one of Gibbs' sons did too. Met them a few times. Great folks to be around.

About two years ago I saw Joe Jacoby going into a 7-11 in Falls Church, noticed who he was, held the door, shook his hand and thanked him for the great memories.

My pop was a distributor for the Wash Post, from 83-12. Back in the day he had many 'skins as customers. Too bad I was too young to keep thier checks for sigs!!

True story: When I was working the 'Skins/Bills in preseason this year, I went to the bathroom in the pressbox. I was washing my hands and Joe Theismann was next to me fixing his hair. He sprayed hair spray in my eye.

Greatest moment of my life.

Ya know, Theismann would be helluva good in our offense, when you think about it. Considering how well he ran the option, his running ability, speed and he could wing the ball too. Anyway.

I'm getting old now and forget my "stories" a bit, but I was in Vegas some years ago with a friend of mine who grew up there. We were playing some golf with his dad, who is a Notre Damn alumnus. I can't remmeber if the dad was a tennis player or an athlete in something along the lines of that. But somehow he knew Theismann or he knew the roommate to Theismann or he was the roommate ... something. :ols:

Anyway, he retold the whole "ThighS - Man" to rhyme with Heisman thing. And I had not previously heard about that, which I later found out about in the America's Game series.

And he just spoke about how fluid Joe was as an athlete, how he could play any sport he wanted to.

Anyway, that alone made my day since I had blasted a tee shot and the cludhead of my driver flew off about 50 yards down the fairway.

I need to get my memory backed-up with a computer or something.

Archived