Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 and Russel Wilson, throwing the ball away.

RedeemerAZ

Something I noticed after watching the Seattle play us and Atlanta, Russel Wilson seems to throw the ball away rather then trying to force a throw or take a sack. He would keep a play alive insanely long, then just toss it away right before a sack. I Cannot seem to recall anytime where RG3 did that (Other then a couple intentional grounding calls). When faced with a sack RG3 usually found a way to get the ball out (prior to his injury) or would take a sack. I think that is an area that RG3 needs to improve on, throwing the ball away rather then take a sack.

Anyone else noticed this?

i agree he needs to work on his decision making whether it is to run or throw the ball away. He has that mentality where he feels like he can always make something out of nothing, and thats the mentality that led us to trade the house for him. Like shanny said, its a double edged sword, and we live and die by the sword.

Yea I think what's keeping him from doing this more is him thinking that if he can just hold for a second longer either he can take off in a run, or the defense will commit to the run and allow him to make the last effort throw. Definatly needs looking at. He needs to understand you don't win the game with just one play.

I dont think RG3 knows how to slide. There's a difference between sliding and throwing yourself down on your back. That hit in the Baltimore game could have been a career killer. Im still shocked he came back after that. Bet he keeps his legs down next time.

He wasn't trying to slide there. He was diving trying to get every inch he could.

An accurate observation. Watched plenty of both this season as my buddy is a Seahawks fan. At times Wilson would throw the ball away so definitively and quickly that you'd wonder if he could have made a play. But, the upshot, he took no shot and there was zero chance of a sack or INT.

Saw every play by RG this season and I don't remember ever having that feeling. He has such confidence in his ability that he'll hold it and try to find space till there is no chance at all. You like it, till it results in a big hit or turnover.

I think what makes Russell Wilson work are two factors:

1. Having amazing talent around him to alleviate any need he may feel to carry the team. That OL is pretty amazing and pressure rarely comes in full force up the middle. RW rarely has to scramble out of necessity. Those WRs are also very underrated... Sidney Rice, prior to his injury, was considered elite. Marshawn Lynch is elite.

2. Playing scared, but focused. RW plays like Doug Flutie. He has that same look in his eyes when they show close ups of him. That looks says, "Don't be a hero. Don't throw the pick and don't get hit." If he didn't have a ton of talent around him, we might have seen some ridiculous scrambles by RW resulting in little gain and a few more injuries.

A few times I can remember RG3 extending the play to the final split second and then flipping it away underhand. I'd rather see him throw it away sooner so he doesn't get popped as he releases the ball.

I remember a few of those times he tried that he still took a shot. He definitely needs to improve in that area.

---------- Post added January-14th-2013 at 06:06 PM ----------

I am confident that his willingness to slide, run out of bounds and throw the ball away will increase when he returns.

We said this and he said this after his concussion too. One can only hope...

We said this and he said this after his concussion too. One can only hope...

And he did show improvement after that. He never cut back into the field again until the Baltimore game in which it was a must-score drive in a must win game, and even then he still goes down sooner than he did vs Atlanta. Let's face it, it was a freak hit, the Kaepernick guy went down like that a bunch of times the other day, and so did Russel Wilson. Like, ten times this weekend, I kept saying: "that's exactly how RG3 went down, I guess these guys are lucky they have their knees still, why isn't anyone criticizing them?" Kinda driving me nuts actually.

They are both rookie QBs that can make magic happen with their legs. Both are guilty of holding the ball too long and not throwing it away when they should have. The thing is though, that they are always going to do some of that because they are going to look to make a play where traditional pocket passer (read: slow) wouldn't even think about doing so. RG3 needs to pick his spots however because the evidence shows that he's not able to deal with the punishment he's content to absorb.

But guess what? RG had only 5 picks to Wilsons 10, so maybe Russel needs to learn a thing or two from Griffin. Dont start a thread saying RG needs to learn from a rival rookie lol. Only thing RG3 needs to learn is to slide properly.

Rg3 was sacked 30 times, Russell 33 times. According to Pro football reference's sack percentage index (higher is better and 100% is avg.) Rg3 had 93% while Wilson had 88%. According to Espn's QBR, RG3 had a better sack EPA at -20 vs Wilson at -27. Based on those metrics it doesn't seem Wilson is better than Rg3 at avoiding sacks in general. Also it seems both of these guys are in the average to below average in avoiding sacks and have room to improve.

Two things to not when RG3 originally got hurt in the Baltimore game he dove head first to the ground causing his legs to go up that is why Ngata was able to hit him. If he had slid feet first or ran out or bound he would not have gotten injured.

Against Seattle he got hurt holding on to the ball to long when he got pushed out of bounds tying to throw the ball back inside to a WR. If he simply would have run out or few seconds earlier thrown the ball out of bounds he wouldn't have gotten hurt on that play.

He is still a rookie but after this injury he has to throw the ball away more often instead of trying to overexert himself.

Rg3 was sacked 30 times, Russell 33 times. According to Pro football reference's sack percentage index (higher is better and 100% is avg.) Rg3 had 93% while Wilson had 88%. According to Espn's QBR, RG3 had a better sack EPA at -20 vs Wilson at -27. Based on those metrics it doesn't seem Wilson is better than Rg3 at avoiding sacks in general. Also it seems both of these guys are in the average to below average in avoiding sacks and have room to improve.

Good points, plus didnt we sack Wilson five times? And he took that crucial sack to end the half against Atlanta.

Two things to not when RG3 originally got hurt in the Baltimore game he dove head first to the ground causing his legs to go up that is why Ngata was able to hit him. If he had slid feet first or ran out or bound he would not have gotten injured.

Against Seattle he got hurt holding on to the ball to long when he got pushed out of bounds tying to throw the ball back inside to a WR. If he simply would have run out or few seconds earlier thrown the ball out of bounds he wouldn't have gotten hurt on that play.

He is still a rookie but after this injury he has to throw the ball away more often instead of trying to overexert himself.

Against B-More if he tried sliding he probably would of slid too late and got hit in the head by Ngata. Can't blame him on that, every game was basically an elimination game and we needed to come from behind at that point. Against Seattle, honestly he got pushed.......PUSHED, if he can't handle that then he shouldn't be playing in the NFL. Hopefully his injuries are just bad luck like Stafford.

Let's also remember we were seeing a different RG3 when injured. We all have our opinions on when he should have gone out in that game, but man, when Bruce "I was drafted only for blitzing" Irvin runs right at Robert and gets him down easily, I said, "that's not RG3 in there"

Was easy to forget all the times RG3 escaped the pocket with baffling speed to avoid sacks all year. Russel doesn't have that, not at all. He does it by running around like a Family Circus cartoon (with the little dotted line lol), and he does that well.

The speed in which RG3 gets into open space allows him more time to make a play rather than having to throw it away instantly like everyone else does. However, yea, I do think there is a fine line there, and he can't act like he has ALL the time in the world. But he does have more than others, and that exact thing contributed to all our wins this year. Robert will figure it out.

Griffin tries to make a play, and for better or worse, has no fear.

You would think that a fanbase that suffered through the nightmare that was Jason Campbell would appreciate these traits, but some people are going to complain regardless.

He's a rookie people. These are rookie mistakes.

Archived