Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Career advice, need opinions!

benskins26

I know these threads have been created ad nauseum, and I've contributed to a few myself- but there are a lot of smart wise people who contribute, and I have always found these to have helpful advice. So, here goes my quest for knowledge.

I am currently in an Inside Sales role for a huge Tech company in Raleigh, NC. I make good money, but because of how good I am at my job, I am pigeonholed in my position. I've been denied advancement twice because of the cliched "we can't afford to lose what you bring in to this team"- and it's true, I'm consistently the top earner on my team. Anyway, I'm ready for a change, despite having a great job. I need a fresh start. I want advancement opportunities, and obviously, more money haha.

So here's my conundrum. My wife and I have tried on 2 separate occasions to relocate from Raleigh to Charleston. It is our fav city in the country by far, and it just feels like home (we visit several times a year). Every time we've tried to relocate before, we have been unable to secure work. Last time I got offered a job, but it wasn't enough money to justify my wife quitting her job, where she also makes good money.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I found a TERRIFIC opportunity in Charleston in tech sales (which is where I want to stay). It's another great company to work for, I would be able to focus on the larger Enterprise type sales/relationship building that I prefer at this point in my career (translation: no cold calling; named, large accounts with strategic selling). It's more money than I make now, and it's actually enough to cover my wife's salary (she wants to work freelance or part time, and start making a family). We've run the numbers, and it works.

Here's the hold up. I had an hour long phone interview with their senior recruiter. It went extremely well (she's a skins fan!). I felt very positive about it, and she invited me down next month for an informal interview. Because here's the problem- it's a "future opportunity". I more or less asked the recruiter if it was a waste of time for me to come informal interview next month (her suggestion was to get down as soon as possible), seeing as there are no open jobs AT THE MOMENT. But, as anyone in sales knows, that can change quickly, especially rolling into a new year, and she likes me, and said that when she finds a candidate she likes, it's her job to push and push until they get in- and being that Charleston is not known as a hotbed for tech, they have to recruit a lot (they even cover relo as she told me at the end of the interview). This is her last email correspondence after I confirmed that I would be coming down in January, as well as again, reiterating, what should be the outcome of this:

I enjoyed our call as well! It appears Friday, January 11th would work on our end. The agenda will involve 30-45 minute interviews with several of our Sales Managers. They'll be asking you questions about your experience and successes and how you think you can translate that in to success here, among other things. You and I have discussed that you are interviewing for future sales opportunities so if the conversations go well, they'll consider you for positions that looks to open up on one of their teams in the coming months.

So while I never mind a trip to Charleston, is it really worth it here? Or am I just kicking tires? I know I can nail the interviews (one of my strengths), but Id hate to be wasting my time. My wife is already looking at real estate haha. She thinks this is encouraging, but I'm reserving judgement. Most companies prefer to promote from within, especially for the more senior positions, but they don't always have people available ready to move up. So do I have a shot here, assuming I nail the interviews?

I know this was long, so I appreciate everyone who reads it. Any advice would be extremely welcomed. Thanks guys!

Oh, and if anyone works in Charleston and is looking to hire, feel free to message me :)

Worst case scenario is that its a trip to Charleston. I don't see the problem. Even if nothing comes of it (which doesn't sound like the case), what's the downside of going? Just go.

Yeah, I agree. Any trip to Charleston is good. But, I've seen this happen before, where you kick tires, and they never call you back. I'm just not sure how to interpret the information I'm getting from the company. I'm certainly qualified, and I'm speaking to their senior recruiter, and she was pretty "suggestive" that I come down, though she couldnt really directly ask, as there is no physical opportunity. I just don't want to get my wife, or my, hopes up here for no reason.

It seems like you're hemming and hawing over nothing. You don't want to get your hopes up? Then don't go into it with the attitude that you're going for a job interview. Look at it as a simple networking opportunity. You're going simply to foster a relationship with people in your field. That's all. Nothing more. Then if it happens to turn into something more, great.

I can tell you right now that no matter the outcome you will regret not going. So go.

If there are any recruiters out here, does this sound like a promising opportunity? I mean, surely a recruiter wouldnt waste an hour on the phone with me, then suggest that I come down to tour the place and do some informal interviews, if there were no intentions, right?

---------- Post added December-14th-2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

How did you find this terrific opportunity if the opportunity does not yet exist?

Need more information as to how you found out about the opening that isn't.

There was a listing on their website for the position, but it was marked as Future Opportunity. Which is part of what sketches me out- that they're just collecting resumes.

PUT DOWN THAT COFFEE!! Coffee is for closers.

Just go to the interview, it seems like your problem is you don't want to get your hopes up. Expectations define outcome

Love that movie. And yes, you're probably right. Job interview process seems to bring out my insecurities. But what do you mean by expectations define outcome? Is that to say, if I go in there, EXPECTING a job, then they'll have to give it to me? Cause that is probably the attitude I'm going to take.

There was a listing on their website for the position, but it was marked as Future Opportunity. Which is part of what sketches me out- that they're just collecting resumes.

If that's the case they may just be waiting to see what happens with the fiscal cliff before proceeding. I would go to the interview.

Job openings come and go as HR hears about it from managers, and the needs of new contracts/sales etc. I had a ton of great interviews that just needed and stopped not because of whether or not I was a fit but they may have filled the position internally or at least in my industry they didn't win the contract.

Getting a new job (a high paying one in a town you like at that) is a lot of work. I would say do it, if you don't go it's an automatic no, this way you at least get a shot. It takes a lot of searching and interviews to find and get the right job. Best of luck! Who knows they may think you fit well for another position or know of someone else that may be hiring in the area.

I'd say go for the interview there is no harm in that, IMO. Its not like you have to quit your current job to go for the interview. Knowing that nothing is on the line you maybe more relaxed and really shine. If they like you and have an opening at least you will be at the top of the list. I dont see any harm in going for the interveiw just keep in mind that nothing may come of it and take a nice trip to Charleston.

Worst case scenario is that its a trip to Charleston. I don't see the problem. Even if nothing comes of it (which doesn't sound like the case), what's the downside of going? Just go.

Exactly! GO! At the very least you've made a contact there, and if your long term plans are to relocate there then this could help greatly down the road even if this immediate opportunity doesn't come to fruition.

*edit

When I moved from Indiana to Kentucky I set up meetings with three Distict Superintendents in Kentucky just to introduce myself in person. There were no guarrantees, and no expectation of any, but 6 months later I was appointed to my first church in Kentucky because of th networking I did prior.

Go.

I'd go, if only because the recruiter encouraged you to come. Take the initiative and go visit, get the tour, check out the company as much as they are checking out you. That's the way I look at interviews, it's the chance to find out if you want to work for them after all. And even if they are collecting resumes, who do you think they'll look at when there's an opening, the people who come interview or the ones who didn't? Just don't make any moves with your present job or your wife's job until you have an offer letter and a start date.

I was in your shoes once at a company, got passed over for promotion because they knew I'd move to another job and they wanted to keep me where I was because I was good and produced the most work in my small group. I had to leave the company to get my well-deserved advancement. It seems you worked that out, since you are looking at other opportunities.

Good luck!

I'd go, if only because the recruiter encouraged you to come. Take the initiative and go visit, get the tour, check out the company as much as they are checking out you. That's the way I look at interviews, it's the chance to find out if you want to work for them after all. And even if they are collecting resumes, who do you think they'll look at when there's an opening, the people who come interview or the ones who didn't? Just don't make any moves with your present job or your wife's job until you have an offer letter and a start date.

I was in your shoes once at a company, got passed over for promotion because they knew I'd move to another job and they wanted to keep me where I was because I was good and produced the most work in my small group. I had to leave the company to get my well-deserved advancement. It seems you worked that out, since you are looking at other opportunities.

Good luck!

To your first point, I think that makes sense. I feel like if I'm showing initiative without anything promised. If I'm the hiring manager, I think I would find that impressive.

As far as the second part, that really stinks. It's so cliched, but it happens, and it's a shame. And companies wonder why they lose top talent.

To your first point, I think that makes sense. I feel like if I'm showing initiative without anything promised. If I'm the hiring manager, I think I would find that impressive.

As far as the second part, that really stinks. It's so cliched, but it happens, and it's a shame. And companies wonder why they lose top talent.

Just happened to me over the last couple of years. I liked my employer but was severely under paid at my level, working at the level above me made it even worse. I asked moderately or a 10% raise given the economy and they said they would try to take care of me and didn't. Then this year came, no bonus. I went applied got a couple different offers, my company found out and offered me a 35% raise and a lot of other stuff to stay. They could've saved $$ being proactive. It's been a good week :)

Just happened to me over the last couple of years. I liked my employer but was severely under paid at my level, working at the level above me made it even worse. I asked moderately or a 10% raise given the economy and they said they would try to take care of me and didn't. Then this year came, no bonus. I went applied got a couple different offers, my company found out and offered me a 35% raise and a lot of other stuff to stay. They could've saved $$ being proactive. It's been a good week :)

Great story! Congrats man

Great story! Congrats man

Thanks, I mean in the meantime I was applying to at least 2 jobs a night, updating my linkedin, networking with friends etc. It's a full time job but just keep at it and don't overlook any opportunity. One of the big offers I got that my company exceeded was for someone that was really interested, dropped off the face of the earth for 30 days then called me back 2 weeks ago for interview, and offer etc.

If you like the company you work for, and just want the advancement, you'll need to train your replacement so you aren't indespensable any longer. You're still valuable, but the business won't suffer from a performance dropoff.

If you want this new job, go ahead and make the trip. They don't want to waste their time any more than you want to waste yours. If they think they're going to hire in the next couple of months, you'd better get yourself on that short list. If you wait until its official, it may already be too late. ETA: it also shows your level of interest and commitment to travel that far based on something less than a final round of interviews before someone is actually hired.

Pretty much I mean go in there knowing that there is a job available for you and don't get bog down by things out of your control I doubt the recruiter would be wasting both you and her time if there wasn't a job lined up. Think of it this way as well if they really like you and want you on their team they will make it happenI would tell your wife to hold up looking up real estate until you get the position though personally for me I don't like to worry about things or do stuff till i have to.

Archived