Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Alfred Morris benching his beloved car for winter

brandymac27

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/11/29/alfred-morris-benching-his-beloved-car-for-winter/

Earlier in the season, The Post’s Mike Jones told a great story about Alfred Morris and his 1991 Mazda 626, a car he named Bentley and often call his “baby” or his “boo.” He vowed to never give up on her, but the Redskins rookie told me yesterday that he fears for her health this winter.

“When I got back from Dallas, she wouldn’t start,” he said sadly. “I think she was mad at me for leaving her for so long.”

Morris had a meeting to get to at Redskins Park, so he asked one of the women who work in his apartment complex for a ride. When he returned home that night he was able to jumpstart Bentley, but he needs to get some wheels that will be more reliable in the cold weather.

“I’m still driving my baby, but for her health I gotta put her up,” Morris said, shaking his head.

“It’s flu season and stuff. Keep her warm.”

Morris told me that it’s important everyone knows that the benching is only temporary.

“Loyalty is rare nowadays, so it’s something I take pride in,” he explained. “When the weather warms up, she’ll come back out.”

*Anybody have an extra car he can borrow for a few months Lol???

Morris can drive my truck, I think it fits his personality.

:ols: that car... looks like Alfred Morris.

“Loyalty is rare nowadays, so it’s something I take pride in,” he explained. “When the weather warms up, she’ll come back out.”

I swear, sometimes I think Al is too good to be true ...

Shows the kid is not flashy. He can certainly afford to by himself a Beamer or Benz at this point. Funny story.

Plus, he lives in an apartment complex (nothing wrong with that), but I'm sure he could get a house or condo or something if he really wanted to. Sounds pretty frugal to me lol.

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 01:16 PM ----------

m031349397491.jpg

And poor Alf looks so happy with his car!

Maybe we should all chip in and get him some rims or something to hook the Bentley up?

Plus, he lives in an apartment complex (nothing wrong with that), but I'm sure he could get a house or condo or something if he really wanted to. Sounds pretty frugal to me lol.

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 01:16 PM ----------

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/files/2012/11/m031349397491.jpg

And poor Alf looks so happy with his car!

it's fairly common to live in an apt. I know Maurice Hurt lives in an apartment and a few other guys too... but I get what you're saying

---------- Post added November-29th-2012 at 01:19 PM ----------

Sadly, if he doesn't drive it all Winter... it'll be in worse shape when he goes to try and start it in the Summer. Just sayin'

Stick with her, Alfred. Let her rest during the winter as you dream up plans for a garage/museum/rest home for the future. Tell her my '92 Festiva sends its best. Meantime I hope he gets something safe and reliable --good, sturdy hybrid car, maybe.

We've already been so helpful with nicknames :), you guys have suggestions on a 2nd string car for Alfred?

Good for him. I was the same way with my Honda CRV. The driver side door wouldnt open from the inside, the ball bearing joint would sound like a bomb going off when i hit a bump, the driver side window wouldnt go back up once i put it down so i jammed a piece of wood in the door panel to keep it up, the radiator was cracked and overheated every so often and whenever it rained, it was a 50 50 shot of it starting until i figured out a little WD-40 on the alternator cured it whenever it did rain, but she went strong for 201k miles and got me through college and 5 years after. I will always have a special place in my heart for my old beat up ugly CRV.

I respect it Morris. keep that car going as long as possible. Try starting it every day whether you are using it or not and just let it run. I did that for 4 winters and it made it! Good luck!

Both of my cars are 1997, one a Honda Del Sol with 65K original miles and an Olds Bravada with 220K miles and both are going strong. I take very good care of my cars, my mechanic will tell you that! Regular maintenance and oil changes are in the program.

A new battery for cold weather is just what the doctor ordered, shout out to Dan T. for the suggestion.

In 1947 the Touchdown Club gave a station wagon to Sammy Baugh as a gift. What better way to celebrate our anniversary than the fans giving another car to a player?

Not me of course, I'm broke :)

It would be pretty awesome if someone set up something like that for AlMo. From all the reports and stories, he'd probably appreciate it.

How about us fans chipping in and donating to "The Alfred Morris Needs a New Car" fund?

We can set up a fund (anyone here good with establishing it?) and solicit fans to donate $5, $10, $20 or whatever until we have the necessary funds to purchase him a decent ride.

Thoughts?

See, if you read the article, it's clear he really doesn't want a new car. And even if he did, he can definitely afford one. A fan rallied effort to fix up his current car, I personally think, would mean a lot more to him.

See, if you read the article, it's clear he really doesn't want a new car. And even if he did, he can definitely afford one. A fan rallied effort to fix up his current car, I personally think, would mean a lot more to him.
SO what if he can afford it. Remember, Sammy Baugh was given a car as a gift and I am sure he could have afforded a car back then also so it's the least we can do as fans. So what if he has 2 rides parked in front of his apartment, one from us and his beloved Mazda.

How about us fans chipping in and donating to "The Alfred Morris Needs a New Car" fund?

We can set up a fund (anyone here good with establishing it?) and solicit fans to donate $5, $10, $20 or whatever until we have the necessary funds to purchase him a decent ride.

Thoughts?

No offense, but why would we want to donate to a car fund for Alfred Morris - who probably makes more (salary-wise) than the majority of the people on this board? Makes no sense to me. Let's not go overboard b/c he's humble.

No offense, but why would we want to donate to a car fund for Alfred Morris - who probably makes more (salary-wise) than the majority of the people on this board? Makes no sense to me. Let's not go overboard b/c he's humble.

Exactly. But an effort to fix up his current car would be the perfect gesture. Not too over the top. And I don't know Alfred, but just from these two articles about him and his car, I can tell that he would greatly appreciate it.

Exactly. But an effort to fix up his current car would be the perfect gesture. Not too over the top. And I don't know Alfred, but just from these two articles about him and his car, I can tell that he would greatly appreciate it.

I agree. We all know he can afford a new car. The point is that we're thinking about him, and want to help him out! It's something he'd never forget!

Archived