Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

A lot of people have been posting that they want Mike Shanahan fired after this season, I was just curious as to who the fans would like to see him replaced with.

I'm sure Jon Gruden would be at the top of alot of people's wish list along with Tony Dungy & Bill Cowher. Maybe Bill Parcells or Mike Holmgren come out of coaching retirement as well for the right price.

I'm not saying that I think he should be fired, I'm really not sure yet how I feel about him returning next year, I guess alot depends on the progress the young players make in the last seven games of the season. If the team continues to play like it has the last two games I think it is something Dan Snyder may have to consider.

I think that they should keep Bruce Allen as the GM. He is well repected around the league and I think would do well as as the true GM, not the position he is in right now as Shanahan's yes man. If they make a change at head coach I would like to see David Shaw from Stanford get the job. He is a young up and coming offensive minded coach with a history of being very good with quarterbacks. He has been a quarterback coach in the NFL with the Eagles, Raiders and Ravens. I think he would be a great hire and hopefully he could put together a great staff with a solid defensive coordinator.

Teams like Miami, Indianapolis and Tampa Bay are all in year one of there rebuilding process and appear to be further along than the Redskins are and if I owned the team that would trouble me very much regardless of the injuries.

The team has tried every approach: top college coach, legendary coach, regular season champion, up-and-coming assistant, Super Bowl winner...Who knows where to go if Mike doesn't work out?

I'm starting to wish they nabbed Pete Carroll years ago, which is sad.

Edit: up-and-coming assistant was kind of tongue-in-cheek

I think its still way to early to call for Mikes head, but since we're playing....

I'd prefer a defensive minded coach and a quality O coordinator. We have a star QB and a workhorse RB to anchor the offense. We need a Head Coach who takes personal pride in the defense.

i've defended shanahan for while now. i cant believe im actually at the point where it might be ok to let him go. our D coordinator isnt very good (even given his lack of players, imo), our O coordinator is good one week, terrible the next, and he's not getting fired. we are terrible with penalties and clock management, which would seem to indicate poor coaching.

i'd take payton.

no big name will come here. no first round draft picks for 2 years, salary cap penalty, ZBS players, and a 3-4 defense is job security for Shanahan. Plus, do we really want to get retreads? I wouldn't mind seeing Bob Diaco come in though for d-coord.

GM: Morroco Brown (in house hire)

HC: Russ Grimm (OC for AZ)

OC: James Franklins (HC for Vanderbilt University)

DC: Lou Spanos (DC for UCLA)

I have some ideas for Special Teams... but I would just ask/demand that it not be Danny Smith.

If we do make a change form Shanny eventually, we need to quit doing this backwards. We need an up and coming hungry GM which most of us probably have no clue who or they would come from their names are not out there like coaches. Then we need to have them pick our coach and players. Then if a coach does not work out for some reason we still have an overriding vision of the type of team we are building and the next coach can carry that on instead of a complete reboot of philosophies if a coach changes.

We have had the all powerful coach, beholden GM model to much. We need a real up and coming GM in charge eventually.

Part of me wonders if Bruce has the ability to even fire Mike. If he doesn't, Dan might have to step in and fire them both. Then we're left with the possibility Vinny returns.

If we have new people though, I want us to actually go get an up and comer at both positions. Pluck someone from the Packers, Steelers or Giants organization, then hire an up and comer at coach.

My personal wishlist: Mike McCoy (Denver OC), Greg Roman (San Fran OC), Vic Fangio (San Fran DC) or Perry Fewell.

If we go to the college ranks, I would LOVE it if we went hard after Chip Kelly and left him work with Bruce.

Eric Decosta

Vince Newsome

Someone from the Green Bay or Seattle staff

Coach: Rick Dennison, Tom Clements

Green Bay has been picked pretty thin the last year or so with Kareem Mckenzie going to Oakland, etc. I really think Morroco Brown has been groomed for a while now and it's high time the man gets his chance.

HC- Bill O'Brien

GM- Someone competent

Interesting Head Coach pick... I'd be in on that one, but lets see how well he does for a few years. He's obviously overcome a lot this year, but Charlie Weis looked like the real deal, as well as Josh McDaniels in their first season.

HC - Bill O'Brien

GM - Someone competent

Heck no. I don't want anyone who used to work for the Patriots as a head guy. It's been shown over and over again that all their success runs through Belichick and Brady, and no one else.

Archived