Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins - Cowboys Game Flexed to 8:20 PM (Official Thread) (Merged x3)

kleese

Started one of these last year and bored tonight so I'll fire up the one fore this year and update it as info comes in or we get a better idea and can make educated guesses.

I'm kind of a geek for the broadcasting end of the sports world (as if I needed anything else) and have always enjoyed this aspect of it since I was a kid.

Some basics for newbies/those that don't care enough to memorize this stuff:

--Flex scheduling starts in week 11... The week we play Philly at FedEx

--CBS and Fox can each protect five games total from being flexed to NBC (last year, ironically, the Redskins led the league in protected games I believe).

--Flexing is meant mostly to prevent lousy Sunday Night games. But it is also used to shift games from early to late starts and vice versa to make the schedule more attractive.

--12 days noticed required on all changes except for week 17 when only 6 days are required.

--The NFL makes the calls on all this stuff, networks can merely make requests.

Here is my take on Redskins possibilities:

--Our games in week 12 and 13 cannot be moved at all. That's Thanksgiving at Dallas and Monday night vs the Giants. Both obviously staying put.

--If week 11 was a Fox DH day I'd be very positive our game with Philly would be moved to the late slot, but its a CBS DH day. Horrible schedule of games that week; Ravens-Steelers wasn't likely going anywhere on Sunday Night anyone and no chance considering the alternatives. Always a slight chance our game gets moved to the 4:05 slot on Fox, but much more likely is that we'd become the main early game and stay right where we are.

--Week 14 is worth watching. Lions at Packers is the SNF game that week and if Detroit continues to disappoint that game could be a flex candidate. And if we are relevant, our game with the Ravens would be near the top of the running to replace it. CBS has already protected Chargers-Steelers that week. It is a Fox DH day so it is unlikely we would move to the CBS 4:05 slot. I'd say chances of a move that week aren't great, but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

--Week 15 at Browns....obviously no chance that is moving to SNF and also only a very slim chance it moves to 4:05 on Fox as they already have two regional games slated for that slot.

--I will be stunned if Jets-Chargers looks good enough at this point to keep on SNF.. That game is getting flexed, IMO. Too far away to predict a replacement, but if Redskins-Eagles is relevant, it's certainly a possibility. Also a possibility our game could move to 4:25 that day if another Fox game moves to SNF.

--Week 17: Totally fluid; anything can happen.

So, looking at it, I would say our overall chances of moving slots is pretty slim, with week 16 being the most likely at this point (or at least the least stable). Week 14 also bears watching.

----------------------

ES Staff Edit:

PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

December 23, 2012

KICKOFF TIME FOR REDSKINS-COWBOYS GAME

CHANGED TO 8:20 P.M. ET

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced tonight that the kickoff time for the game between the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, Dec. 30, has been changed to 8:20 p.m. ET.

The game will be broadcast on NBC.

--Week 14 is worth watching. Lions at Packers is the SNF game that week and if Detroit continues to disappoint that game could be a flex candidate.

this game could easily be the bottom two teams in the NFC North, or it could be two teams fighting for a wild card slot. both teams look horrible as of now.

this game could easily be the bottom two teams in the NFC North, or it could be two teams fighting for a wild card slot. both teams look horrible as of now.

Certain teams get more leeway with broadcasting due to popularity- the Packers are one of those teams. Put a gun to my head and my guess is that GB will right the ship at least to the point where they are still alive at that point in the season. The Lions are a different story. They may very well be toast by then. If Detroit is totally irrelevant I think that game gets moved regardless of where GB is.

Darn kleese man,

Just HOW boring was your Saturday night to start this one so early? :ols:

Hail.

I have a 10 month old that HATES sleeping :)

---------- Post added October-14th-2012 at 12:45 PM ----------

I believe Jets-Chargers will stay. The fans and media are already putting enormous pressure to get Tebow in!! He'll be starting by then and people love to watch him.

Tebow isn't enough of a draw to carry a broadcast if the game doesn't matter.

• 5 weeks later...

Looking unlikely that anyhing gets moved right now... This was the first possible flex week this year... Everything stayed the same except Colts-Pats moved to 4:25 because Chargers-Broncos was not a good enough stand alone game for CBS.

Obviously, our next two games can't move.... The next possibility would be the Ravens game. It is slated for a 1:00 kickoff on CBS. Very likely it stays right where it is.... This decision needs to made the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.

One far fetched scenerio to watch.....

Lets say we win our next two and sit at 5-6 when the decision is made.

The SNF game that week is Lions-Packers.... Those two teams play THIS week in Detroit. If the Pack wins, Det starts to look very irrelevant at 4-6. If the Lions continue to struggle AND we win the next two, I think there is a small chance our game with the Ravens would get moved to SNF. The Packers are a big draw and are a tough team to flex, but the Lions are far from a ratings boom and if they are floundering that has the potential to get ugly. If the Redskins are hot, RG3 is most certainly an appeal for NBC and the game will obviously be meaningful for the Ravens.

Again, this is a really long longshot here... Everything would need to go perfectly the next two weeks and even then I don't think it's a lock by any means. But this thread (like most of my threads) is based on absurd hypotheticals.... So there you go.

After that, our game with Cleveland is staying put unless for some reason Fox needs to move it to 4:05 to open space for something else. Same exact thing for our game at Philly. The final game of the year could very well move... Will all depend on if it means anything for either team.

Packers at home will not be flexed. Redskins-Ravens wouldn't supercede the Pack at Lambeau in my opinion even if we were to get hot. I don't like when we get flexed anyway. I'm not seeing us get flexed at all this year.

I'd tend to agree but if at the time the Lions are 4-7 and we are 5-6, I think it would be considered.

A 4-7 Lions team with Stafford and Megatron in Lambeau is more exciting than RG3 and Paulsen vs the Ravens.

Star power matters... And of that were to happen, the Redskins would be a hot story at the time and the Lions would be circling the drain. Don't forget how fast the NFL flexed Tebow onto NBC last year... And the Broncos were .500 at the time.

Star power matters... And of that were to happen, the Redskins would be a hot story at the time and the Lions would be circling the drain. Don't forget how fast the NFL flexed Tebow onto NBC last year... And the Broncos were .500 at the time.

And I'm trying to say that Stafford and Johnson have star power over anything we could put on the field. Plus, the Packers trump the Ravens as far as viewership.

I thought there was no SNF or MNF in Week 17? Or is it just MNF

There isn't.

It does. And the Packers/Lions has plenty more than we do.

I personally hate when our start times get changed. I like the games at 1pm.

I thought there was no SNF or MNF in Week 17? Or is it just MNF

Yes there is SNF; no MNF

There is no SCHEDULED SNF because they decide that the Monday prior. Last year Cowboys-Giants got moved the SNF when it was for the division. Same goes for Rams-Seahawks in 2010.

It does. And the Packers/Lions has plenty more than we do.

I personally hate when our start times get changed. I like the games at 1pm.

Totally disagree and I am pretty sure most TV execs would agree with me.

First of all, the NFC East factor... Our division draws great ratings... Always has, always will. Marquee teams in huge markets. For example, I live in OKC, which has no dog in the fight and this week we will get Eagles-Redskins over Packers-Lions....

RG3 is a bigger "star" than either Stafford or Megatron. Not even close. Has nothing to do with merit mind you, just sizzle.

If we are 5-6, it likely means RG3 has gone off... And that means he will have gone off on Thanksgiving on National TV... If the Lions are 4-7 that means three straight losses, including losing at home on Thanksgiving Day. We would be a much hotter team, with a hotter star.

Battle for the Bottom!

Thats how the 12/23 Skins at Eagles game will be billed when it is flexed into primetime.

Hey - that could be a good title for a certain type of adult movie.

I wonder about 2013 - will RG3 get this team more primetime games? I hope not - I hate night games, especially since the Skins rarely win at night. Cant tell you how many hours of sleep I have lost over the years staying up late and watching the continual losses. At least 1pm games, you can shake off the loss by bedtime.

Battle for the Bottom!

Thats how the 12/23 Skins at Eagles game will be billed when it is flexed into primetime.

Hey - that could be a good title for a certain type of adult movie.

I wonder about 2013 - will RG3 get this team more primetime games? I hope not - I hate night games, especially since the Skins rarely win at night. Cant tell you how many hours of sleep I have lost over the years staying up late and watching the continual losses. At least 1pm games, you can shake off the loss by bedtime.

First of all, we are opposites...early Sunday is my least favorite time slot. If we play late or at night, I am assured of enjoying the football weekend, but its such a bummer when we lose early. Feel like I get ripped off of my Sunday a bit. Sunday night games are my preference, but I also late the late afternoon slot.

To answer your question, I think the NFL and the networks will WANT to feature rg3, but much will depend on how we finish. If we crash and burn the rest of the way, I wouldn't expect much national exposure on the schedule next year, although I still think we would be likely to get an early season primetime game.

If we finish this year respectably (at least 3-4 more wins), then yes, I think we will be a somewhat prominent team on the schedule. Nothing bonkers like 5 primetimes or anything like that, but maybe a SNF, two Mondays, and a few late feature games. Also remember that every team plays a Thursday game now and we obviously won't be playing on Thanksgiving next year...I'd bank on a Thurs game at FedEx for sure. I'll make a schedule prediction after this year, but I definitely think we will be a team they want to feature if we give them a little reason to do so.

I believe Jets-Chargers will stay. The fans and media are already putting enormous pressure to get Tebow in!! He'll be starting by then and people love to watch him.

Not to mention both head coaches are on the hot seat. Both of them are coaching to save their jobs so it has potential too be an intense game.

This Sunday has become mandatory at work. I was hoping the game would get flexed to 4:00, since theres no chance of me sneaking out before 1pm.. *sigh* damn.. i havent missed a game in... forever.

Sure, i can DVR it.. but it just isnt the same.

regardless, HAIL!

The next possibility would be the Ravens game. It is slated for a 1:00 kickoff on CBS. Very likely it stays right where it is.... This decision needs to made the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.

Wasn't our game against Baltimore in '08 originally scheduled as a day game and then got flexed to nights? What a disaster that was. We were in full-slide mode by then, including a bad loss at home to a Giants team that would do nothing the rest of that season.

Wasn't our game against Baltimore in '08 originally scheduled as a day game and then got flexed to nights? What a disaster that was. We were in full-slide mode by then, including a bad loss at home to a Giants team that would do nothing the rest of that season.

Yes.... We've been flexed into SNF three times... That game in 2008 and twice in 2007 (Giants/Vikings)

Archived