Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is our biggest economic problem and which one can we address the fastest?

PeterMP

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Just me being curious.

What do you think our biggest economic problem is?

And what problem do you think we can address most easily

Vote for 2. One for the biggest and one for the most easy to address

Obviously, many of them are inter-related so I know the choices aren't easy.

unemployment

you can address it by the regulatory system

we have created a atmosphere that does not encourage hiring and blame the businesses

What about demand?

Are people going to hire if there is no demand?

Can we out "decrease regulation" China, especially when you take into account the difference in currencies?

What about demand?

Can we out "decrease regulation" China, especially when you take into account the difference in currencies?

Demand already exists as evidenced by our trade deficit, the sourcing needs addressed

you can start with energy(which is one of the quickest to crank up)

manufacturing and exporting seem to be doing well here...see why

if you strengthen the core of energy,manufacturing,education and tech the peripherals will see increased demand.

we instead institute barriers that encourage filling existing demand from other sources

the entrepreneurs are looking elsewhere for good reason, even most small business owners here say they wouldn't start a business under present conditions

add

we do stupid crap like push the Volt against the grain....guess who was winning the auto sales?

there is a prime opportunity for NG conversion on trucking,heavy equipt and mass transit...tax credits there instead of for Chinese windmills

the notion of many in govt that paying people not to work is stimulus just illustrates the loss of fundamentals

the future is what you make of it...the abyss awaits

What about demand?

bingo was his name-0. The devaluing of the dollar caused goods made here to have an unfair price variance vs. Chinese goods. I see a lot of causes listed but lack of American made competitively priced goods cause many of the reasons listed. Gas and food would not seem so high if the median wage was higher because the job paid more. All the jobs being created in the service sector are sub $10.00 an hour. You do the math. You can't own a home, own a car, have a cell phone, get medical and car insurance, eat, clothe.....on that wage. We need high paying jobs, manufacturing jobs for the middle class of non-highly educated hard working Americans. That would boost everyone's interest.

We need high paying jobs, manufacturing jobs for the middle class of non-highly educated hard working Americans. That would boost everyone's interest.

so you are just going to create them how?

so you are just going to create them how?

By encouraging Companies to manufacture here, not having tax breaks for those that don't and even creating penalties or higher taxes for companies that move or manufacture overseas. Balance the playing field. American made should be a sense of pride. Afterall most the Chinese goods, durable goods, lol are cheaper but skip on quality. There are many large ticket items assembled here with sub-standard Chinese parts to lessen the overall cost and boost profits at the coast of the American workforce. The only problem and what is now occurring is that they are eating there own consumer bases ability to purchase their own goods.

The regulatory arm is a huge burden for our economy. When the Economist does a cover story saying that the U.S. has become uncompetitive because we're horribly over-regulated, then you know we're in troubled terrain (it's a UK publication for those who didn't know that). Debt is the main driver of our pain but over-spending is the actual root cause. D.C. just simply spends to damn much money.

Tax code is biggest and easiest to fix. The steady upward flow of income over the past 30 years has transformed our economy from consumer-based to investor-based, and has resulted in a series of bubbles and bursts instead of sustainability, which I expect will continue until something radical in done to put money back in the hands of people that spend it.

Don't squander many billions on overseas military adventures. Invest at home and pay off the deficit before it creates major problems.:

Given the economic woes, who thinks this chart is a positive and that we need to increase defense spending?

defence-budgets-and-expenditure.jpg

while I think defence needs both cuts and reform, the chart is foolish

care to put one up on comparing overall spending vs other nations?...or perhaps foreign aid?

the military is no longer simply a military

That's just not true. And any businessman who tells you otherwise is lying to you. Believe me, I know some of these people.

I am one ,and know a couple ;) myself.

But then I'm probably delusional and it just rubs off

So, assuming you're one of these "job creators." What do you do with most of your money? Considering you're obviously not creating jobs with it.

Why do you ask?...it is my money to do with as I please

I am in business to make money,not to simply employ people.

What regulations are their for American businesses that are so horrible that they actively stop companies from hiring more people?

I hear conservatives complain that American businesses are overregulated and over taxed and that's why big business doesn't hire and why people don't open small businesses, but we're in the ginormous hole we're in after 8 years of de-regulation and cutting taxes, and most of the de-regulation and the tax cuts that occurred either didn't encourage hiring or actively hurt the same small businesses.

As a nation we need to encourage more businesses to create non-outsourceable jobs that encourage blue and white collar job creation. At one point that was the automobile industry, in the 90's it was the internet bubble. I think the next batch of non-outsourceable jobs is improving our every decaying infrastructure, particularly an electrical grid that was never meant to handle the amount of power we force through it, high speed rail, and yes, that bain of many a conservatives existence, more emphasis on clean energy and creating the next generation of automobiles that don't heavily rely on exhausting our dwindling sources of non-renewable energy.

If that's the mindset that these "job creators" have, then screw 'em. Let them pay 60% in taxes for all I care. They aren't helping the economy at artificially low tax rates.

Tomorrow the CiC can say "we are ending the wars we are fighting in 6/7 countries or whatever it is, because we can't even keep track, bringing our troops home, shutting down our criminal organizations like the CIA and ATF, closing the bases in the 130 countries we are in and using that to protect our borders, find out who is here, because our awareness of that is pathetic and taking care of those already hurt, before picking more fights, any more nation building and any more global policing. " and that is the easiest way for us to save any money.

Say it's unrealistic, say you don't like it, but peace is the only answer that saves us that much money.

I'm asking because the liberal attack on you having so much money is that it's hurting the "99%."

What I'm expecting from you is to either say that you put most of your money back into your business or for you to say you save most of your money. Essentially either validating the conservative position that we need to lower taxes to help the job creators because they're in no position to create jobs right now or validating the liberal position that the 1% is just a bunch of greedy ****s who have no interest in creating jobs.

It's the "I've got mine, **** everyone else" mentality I'm trying to either validate or debunk. Yes, it is your money and you don't have to give out details (especially over the internet) but it could also go a long way to proving your point if you did.

Archived