Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steal of the Offseason - Adam Carriker

bulldog

Carriker, the #13 pick in the 2007 draft, was acquired for less than a draft pick - merely moving down a series of slots in the 5th round this year.

And yet he appears now to be slated to start at LDE in the Redskins 3-4 base alignment. At 25, Carriker could be a mainstay of the Washington defense for the forseeable future.

For those moaning over the loss of the #2 pick for McNabb, consider how adding a first round talent to a scheme that suits his skills could help to make this move one of those that end up on Allen and Shanahan's 'best of' list, with a strong assist from Jim Haslett :)

Vinny would build our roster like a builder trying to use all bricks and no mortar. The bricks in this metaphor are star players and the mortar are the other guys that make up the majority of the roster.

The first thing I notice about this team is we have plenty of quality mortar. Guys like Brandon Banks - those little guys (no pun intended) that make up the roster. Carriker is one of those moves. We got a quality guy for our team for next to nothing. Again, mortar guy. These are the guys you need for depth. This is why we have guys who started on our O-line last year playing on the third string this year. Mortar - Bruce is a master mason (in the bricklayer sense, not the 33rd sense :doh: ) . Vinny is like a kid trying to stack up rocks. It's abundantly clear.

It's just hard for me to believe the Rams couldn't get more for Carriker than what the Redskins ended up giving them.

Even 30 year old Adam Archuleta after he failed in Washington fetched a #6 pick outright from the Chicago Bears. And a lot of people around the NFL thought he was done at the time.

In my mind you have to count Carriker as a #1 pick that the Redskins got essentially for free.

So, you can pair him up with Trent Williams and smile that Washington got younger talent on both the OL and DL in 2010, despite the fact some critics say the Redskins don't have any younger talent in the first place :)

Vinny would build our roster like a builder trying to use all bricks and no mortar. The bricks in this metaphor are star players and the mortar are the other guys that make up the majority of the roster.

The first thing I notice about this team is we have plenty of quality mortar. Guys like Brandon Banks - those little guys (no pun intended) that make up the roster. Carriker is one of those moves. We got a quality guy for our team for next to nothing. Again, mortar guy. These are the guys you need for depth. This is why we have guys who started on our O-line last year playing on the third string this year. Mortar - Bruce is a master mason. Vinny is like a kid trying to stack up rocks. It's abundantly clear.

LOVE the analogy RA....dead on...

The first thing I notice about this team is we have plenty of quality mortar. Guys like Brandon Banks - those little guys (no pun intended) that make up the roster. Carriker is one of those moves. We got a quality guy for our team for next to nothing. Again, mortar guy. These are the guys you need for depth. This is why we have guys who started on our O-line last year playing on the third string this year. Mortar - Bruce is a master mason (in the bricklayer sense, not the 33rd sense :doh: ) . Vinny is like a kid trying to stack up rocks. It's abundantly clear.

I love where you tried to go with your analogy, and don't take this the wrong way... but it failed. Kinda.

Nice post! That was poetry.

Lets see what the guy does before we make him a great or even a good player. I like Shanahan and all, but he was never good at finding defensive talent espcially when it came to D-line. Hell the one year he took half of the Browns defensive linemen. So I'm on a wait and see approach for now.

Lets see what the guy does before we make him a great or even good player. I like Shanahan and all, but he was never good at finding defensive talent espcially when it came to D-line. Hell the one year he took half of the Browns defensive linemen. So I'm on a wait and see approach for now.

The fortunate thing is, our DL talent is much better than he ever had in Denver. Shanny knows offense and that was this team's weakness last year.

As a response to the "poetry" and 1st post, all I have to say is meh. I hope the guy does good, but its a little early to start annointing him for anything just yet. Talent is talent, he should have showed something in St. Louis and didn't show much of anything, regardless of scheme or surrounding players. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns into an all pro.

As a response to the "poetry" and 1st post, all I have to say is meh. I hope the guy does good, but its a little early to start annointing him for anything just yet. Talent is talent, he should have showed something in St. Louis and didn't show much of anything, regardless of scheme or surrounding players. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns into an all pro.

I wouldn't call it poetry either. It was a thought. I felt it about sums up our situation. It's alot harder to come up with a thought that simply explains the difference between rosters than it is to just say meh and say the guy sucks. It's similar to how it's easier to be a movie critic than it is to write, produce, direct the original concept into a movie. Anybody can say something sucks, it takes balls to even say something that sucks. If it sucked so be it; at least I said it with balls the size of churchbells (second dragnet reference of the day...)

I still say that for what we gave up it was a great move. If he sucks, we barely gave anything for him. Good move; as opposed to before getting guys like Brandon Lloyd. To that I say meh; to signing guys with little risk and possible high reward I say HTTR.

If we swapped picks with the Rams...wouldn't that be moving up? Think about it...The way you're saying is we swapped our 5th with theirs and our 7th with theirs which (again) would be moving up since we should be finishing ahead of them (or behind them, depends on how you want to look at it).

If we swapped picks with the Rams...wouldn't that be moving up? Think about it...The way you're saying is we swapped our 5th with theirs and our 7th with theirs which (again) would be moving up since we should be finishing ahead of them (or behind them, depends on how you want to look at it).

The lower rounds often have a different order due to compensatory picks and trades. I don't know, but I can't imagine them giving us a player and higher pick. That would make no sense, but it is the Rams.

Archived