Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Babin? Babin! Eagles lose.

tr1

This is a guy who has a motor and is a decent pass rusher. The Skins haven't signed him, yet, but should they, the Eagles lose a guy who had 2.5 sacks in limited play...and someone who instantly helps us scout their defense.

He's more than an emotional suggestion from Kyle Shanahan knows him from his first year in Houston.

A team can never have enough pass rushers...

They're interested, apparently:

Defensive end Babin on Redskins' radar

While the Redskins don't appear to be in the running for some of the big names that hit the free agency market, a league source confirms the team has had discussions with defensive end Jason Babin, an unrestricted free agent who spent last season with Philadelphia.

Babin, 29, was a first-round choice of the Houston Texans in the 2004 draft and has also played for the Seahawks and Chiefs. His next team will be his fourth in as many seasons. Listed at 6 feet 3, 267 pounds, Babin didn't start any games last season for the Eagles and hasn't been a regular starter since his rookie season in Houston.

Watching him in Philly, he does have a good motor. When he's on the field he is in on plays. That being said, I don't know why he doesn't play more; probably his size against the run?

If I am not mistaken, he has had some injuries keeping him reaching his full potential. That is off the top of my head if I recall, I could be wrong here though.

He was healthy all year with Philly. He provided solid minutes in reserve and at times looked like a dominant pass rusher. He's a good player.

But, being the team's 4th defensive end was exactly where he belonged. He's a high-motor guy who provides solid productivity when called upon. That's it.

The Eagles are looking to upgrade defensive end, and they're letting him go.

I have no doubt that you felt this way about Jason Babin, our fourth DE, prior to hearing about the Skins' interest in him. No doubt in my mind.

With tr1, I always get the impression that he's familiar with players from either their college days or he honestly does think highly of those players on rival teams that he says something positive about. I think a few too many people around here diminish his football knowledge and chalk all of his views up to nothing more than Skins homerism.

With tr1, I always get the impression that he's familiar with players from either their college days or he honestly does think highly of those players on rival teams that he says something positive about. I think a few too many people around here diminish his football knowledge and chalk all of his views up to nothing more than Skins homerism.

His post "Babin! Eagles lose" suggests great enthusiasm about the rumored signing of a guy the Eagles picked up in training camp last year. You mean to tell me he's always had a high opinion of the guy, and wouldn't come down on the Eagles as cheap if they went after a similarly journeyman type guy in the early days of free agency?

You're being far too kind. Like I said, I like Babin, he did a good job covering up for the disaster that was 3rd round pick Bryan Smith. But you're crazy if you think tr1's current game is anything more than blind homerism. We're talking about a guy who's played on 4 teams in 7 years and was most recently acquired prior to final training camp cuts in August.

What would have been said of Westbrook36 if he had made this identical thread about Babin the day the Eagles signed him back in August?

This is a guy who has a motor and is a decent pass rusher. The Skins haven't signed him, yet, but should they, the Eagles lose a guy who had 2.5 sacks in limited play...and someone who instantly helps us scout their defense.

He's more than an emotional suggestion from Kyle Shanahan knows him from his first year in Houston.

A team can never have enough pass rushers...

Jason Babin could be depth but that is it. He's averaging about a sack for every 10 games played. That isn't exactly dominant production. He has played the 3-4 before and struggled with it. We could do worse at the backup position but this guy isn't going to add much to our team in terms of production. I'd rather have Orakpo/Carter/Jarmom/Wilson on the field before Babin.

How is he against the run? I don't care about sacks because with Orakpo, Carter, and Haynesworth we should be okay pressure wise. I'm pretty sure 3-4 DEs need to be really good against the run.

He's capable in most capacities. I could see him as a 3-4 OLB or reserve 3-4 DE. Prototypically, he's more suited to OLB in a 3-4, but I think he could be productive in limited snaps at DE.

His post "Babin! Eagles lose" suggests great enthusiasm about the rumored signing of a guy the Eagles picked up in training camp last year.

Actually, his post doesn't mention any "rumored signing"...it only mentions the Eagles "losing" by dropping a guy he apparently thought was a decent player.

You mean to tell me he's always had a high opinion of the guy, and wouldn't come down on the Eagles as cheap if they went after a similarly journeyman type guy in the early days of free agency?

You mean to tell ME that you think tr1 scours the list of irrelevant cast offs from the Eagles roster in order to find one guy he's never paid attention to and claim his departure will be the Eagle's loss?? lol :ols:...

Again, anyone who is even remotely objective towards tr1's past posts will know beyond doubt that he has shown before when he doesn't like a possible Skins signing, no matter which team they're coming from. You, however, thinking that he ONLY likes Babin because he heard it mentioned that the Skins might want him would seem at odds with that...and more or less backs up my earlier claim, that too many around here are dismissive of tr1's actual football knowledge and find it much easier to simply claim it's Redskins homerism shaping his viewpoints.

You're being far too kind.

You're being far too narrow-minded.

Like I said, I like Babin, he did a good job covering up for the disaster that was 3rd round pick Bryan Smith. But you're crazy if you think tr1's current game is anything more than blind homerism.

Ah, so YOU are able to objectively see that Babin is deserving of at least some praise...but tr1 is not. Others on this thread are capable of seeing that same praise-worthy effort in Babin, but tr1 is not. Gotcha. Very convenient lol...

We're talking about a guy who's played on 4 teams in 7 years and was most recently acquired prior to final training camp cuts in August.

And how does any of that negate anything said by tr1? Other than the hyperbole of "Eagles lose", of course lol...but anyone with more than a few working brain cells already knows that tr1 likes to couch his views in rhetoric that can take a dig at rival teams.

What would have been said of Westbrook36 if he had made this identical thread about Babin the day the Eagles signed him back in August?

If WB36 was even half as subtle as tr1 he would be more tolerable lol :yes:...WB would have said Babin would make the Pro Bowl and become starter by the end of the preseason. tr1 only said that the guy has a "good motor" and "A team can never have enough pass rushers". That's the difference.

It's your opinion that tr1 is an outspoken albeit intelligent fan who gets a bad rap for his general knowledge because he enjoys poking and prodding visiting fans and saying things he doesn't necessarily believe.

It's my opinion that he's never voiced a sincere opinion on this board, and only makes posts that further his selected narrative for whichever fan base he's attempting to instigate.

There's ample evidence in the archives around here for people to make their own opinions, so our back and forth can now safely come to an end.

On the topic of Jason Babin, he's a nice player and will be mildly productive wherever he goes. It won't be a substantive loss for the Eagles or gain for whomever signs him.

why is this a discussion about tr1?

seriously, the topic is the Eagles possibly losing Babin

btw with tr1, too many fail to actually read his posts, preferring to go on their bias perceptions about him, than what is the reality

:ols:

Coming out Babin was hyped but he is nothing more than a solid depth guy at this point. He won't be effective if you expect a lot out of him but a good guy to be on the field for 15-20 plays a game.

:ols:

Coming out Babin was hyped but he is nothing more than a solid depth guy at this point. He won't be effective if you expect a lot out of him but a good guy to be on the field for 15-20 plays a game.

15-20 plays a game is a lot. I bet Haynesworth probably only takes 20-30 snaps a game.

Archived