Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 Thoughts On Palin Speech; Congressman Calls Obama "Uppity" (kind of)

ACW

1) Community organizers DO do work: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2008/09/05/community_organizers_more_than_a_punchline/

Elitist (female dog)

2) "Worried that someone won't read them their rights." It's called the Constitution you dumb (same expletive).

As for uppity:

http://news.google.com/news?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=7FO&resnum=0&q=westmoreland%20uppity&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

So, either 1) he IS racist, or 2) he's clueless. BTW, I might have to go with the latter. How can someone think that they're uppity (Obama wouldn't think he's uppity). Not to mention, this is the same genius who gave us this gem: http://homepage.mac.com/johnwirzbicki/iblog/CTBlue/C949557696/E20060615203807/index.html

I pointed out the community organizer line in the RNC thread as soon as it was said. That was a mistake and its easy ammo to use against those tossing elitist out there. The civil rights movement, womens rights movement, and just about every major change that came from "the people" was made possible by community organizers. There is no better example of democracy in action than community activism.

I think she was making the comparison to Mayor, and not her role in the PTA. Just GUESSING though. I can't believe that you found an article from a couple of people in Cambridge, MA that did not support a Republican....SHOCKING.
Still, she said community organizers don't have responsibilities. :bsflag:

And GACOLB, no problem :cheers:

I can't believe that you found an article from a couple of people in Cambridge, MA that did not support a Republican....SHOCKING.

I think what he found was an article from a couple of people whose time as community organizers was mocked and ridiculed on national TV by Rudy Guiliani and Sarah Palin. I can bet all community organizers - Democratic or Republican -were offended by how Rudy and Sarah dismissed so mockingly the work they do. I would have been.

And others have said that small town mayor, or Gov of Alaska aren't qualifying experience. Do you think those count?
Sure. They should both count the same. Frankly, I think if Biden doesn't talk TOO much, he's gonna destroy Palin at the debate though.

I think what he found was an article from a couple of people whose time as community organizers was mocked and ridiculed on national TV by Rudy Guiliani and Sarah Palin. I can bet all community organizers - Democratic or Republican -were offended by how Rudy and Sarah dismissed so mockingly the work they do. I would have been.

I have a feeling that will have minimal impact on the election. I doubt many Republican community organizers are going to change their vote because the Vice Presidential nominee responded to a critcism of her experience level by pointing out the experience of the Democratic Presidential nominee.

I pointed out the community organizer line in the RNC thread as soon as it was said. That was a mistake and its easy ammo to use against those tossing elitist out there. The civil rights movement, womens rights movement, and just about every major change that came from "the people" was made possible by community organizers. There is no better example of democracy in action than community activism.

So true. If Obama wants to win he better bring that to the light also.

And others have said that small town mayor, or Gov of Alaska aren't qualifying experience. Do you think those count?

The difference is that she is saying that community organizers dont do nothing but hold a title. Its called ORGANIZER for a reason. You have to set a plan in motion, come up with money to keep it going, get the right people to keep the motion going and fight off opposers with out violence. Id say that is on the same level as president. Hell if it werent for community organizers we may not of had the founding fathers.

So again if Obama wants to win he should bring that to light.

I have a feeling that will have minimal impact on the election. I doubt many Republican community organizers are going to change their vote because the Vice Presidential nominee responded to a critcism of her experience level by pointing out the experience of the Democratic Presidential nominee.

I wasn't thinking about the election. I was thinking about how people who have worked as community organizers must have felt watching the RNC and seeing the disdain shown their work them by Sarah Palin and especially Rudy Guiliani.

The difference is that she is saying that community organizers dont do nothing but hold a title. Its called ORGANIZER for a reason. You have to set a plan in motion, come up with money to keep it going, get the right people to keep the motion going and fight off opposers with out violence. Id say that is on the same level as president. Hell if it werent for community organizers we may not of had the founding fathers.

So again if Obama wants to win he should bring that to light.

Did she say they do nothing? Or that they only hold a title?

It was simply a response to the belittlement of her "small town Mayor" experience.

The community organizer jab was basically veiled racism if you ask me. Democrats should make a big deal out of this.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/01/31/biden.obama/

Obama for President.....Because Biden thinks he is "CLEAN"

Here's a little snippet from wikipedia.com

The American Civil Rights Movement, the anti-war movements, the Chicano movement, the feminist movement, and the gay rights movement all influenced and were influenced by ideas of neighborhood organizing. Experience with federal anti-poverty programs and the upheavals in the cities produced a thoughtful response among activists and theorists in the early 1970s that has informed activities, organizations, strategies and movements through the end of the century. Less dramatically, civic associations and neighborhood block clubs were formed all across the country to foster community spirit and civic duty, as well as provide a social outlet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_organizing#1900_to_1940

So, it's obvious to me that the community organizer jab was homophobic, racist and sexist--all at the same time, given that feminist movement, civil rights movement, gay rights movement all had strong associations with community organizing.

The scary thing about the "read them their rights" equals bad bit is this comes from the party that believes in warrantless wiretapping, torture, secret prisons, and Americans being arrested without charge or due process. When our library records, bank records, phone calls no longer are private and all other traditional civilian protections are viewed as optional. An innocent statement that refers to "criminals" needs to viewed in the larger context of all of us.

1) Community organizers DO do work: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2008/09/05/community_organizers_more_than_a_punchline/

Elitist (female dog)

2) "Worried that someone won't read them their rights." It's called the Constitution you dumb (same expletive).

As for uppity:

http://news.google.com/news?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=7FO&resnum=0&q=westmoreland%20uppity&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

So, either 1) he IS racist, or 2) he's clueless. BTW, I might have to go with the latter. How can someone think that they're uppity (Obama wouldn't think he's uppity). Not to mention, this is the same genius who gave us this gem: http://homepage.mac.com/johnwirzbicki/iblog/CTBlue/C949557696/E20060615203807/index.html

1) She said a mayor is like a community organizer except you HAVE RESPONSIBILITY.

2) And, it's called Geneva, which says you can hold EPWs "until the end of hostilities."

I withhold the expletives.

Nice job arguing with your complete mischaracterizations of what she said though. :cheers:

The scary thing about the "read them their rights" equals bad bit is this comes from the party that believes in warrantless wiretapping, torture, secret prisons, and Americans being arrested without charge or due process. When our library records, bank records, phone calls no longer are private and all other traditional civilian protections are viewed as optional. An innocent statement that refers to "criminals" needs to viewed in the larger context of all of us.

Burgold, your interchanging of "the Bush Administration" with "the GOP" couldn't be more wrong.

Archived