Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm thinking about buying a used Mustang, what do you think?

SloppyOneXXVI

Gentlemen, (and ladies)

I've had junk cars my whole life; I never could afford much else. However; I have finally gotten my financial life in order, bought a house, invested some money, and got an IRA. Therefore, I feel I should spoil myself a little bit. I have always loved Mustangs, in fact, my first car was a 64 1/2 Mustang I bought myself and restored.

So, I want to get a used Mustang (I see little to zero value in buying a new car) and I am looking to spend around 15K. However; since I have had junk cars my whole life, I have had car issues my whole life as well. Right now my dream is to have a car that works for multiple years with only routine work.

I am curious if anyone has good or bad stories regarding 2006 or 2007 Mustangs. The last thing I want is a car that will cause tons of problems for me at 70,000 miles. I appreciate any insight.

As always, HTTR!

DONT DO IT! Fords suck as used cars.

Go to www.consumerreports.com and check the ratings on them.

I actually did.....

eliability History - Ford Mustang (V8)

Trouble spots by year 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 Engine Major blob_3.gifblob_2.gifblob_1.gifblob_5.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Engine Minor blob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Engine Cooling blob_1.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Transmission Major blob_1.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_2.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Transmission Minor blob_1.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_2.gifblob_1.gifblob_3.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Drive System blob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_2.gifblob_4.gif Fuel System blob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_1.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gif Electrical System blob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_1.gifblob_3.gifblob_5.gif Climate System blob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Suspension blob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gif Brakes blob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_5.gif Exhaust blob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gif Paint/Trim blob_3.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_1.gifblob_2.gifblob_2.gifblob_3.gifblob_2.gifblob_4.gif Squeaks & Rattles blob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_2.gifblob_2.gifblob_2.gifblob_1.gifblob_1.gifblob_1.gif Body Hardware blob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_2.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gif Power Equip. blob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_5.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gif Audio System blob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_5.gifblob_3.gifblob_1.gifblob_2.gifblob_3.gifblob_2.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gif Used Car Verdicts relia_arrow_sm.gifblob_3.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_4.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gifblob_3.gif New Car Prediction Average

2007 got pretty good ratings, however; was rated as AVERAGE for used car prediction. This is pretty standard. Only about 70 cars were rated above that, and most are out of my price range. (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc)

EDIT: Clearly it's impossible to read this table, however; anything red means above average, and a full red circle is the best rating.

My son bought one over my objections...it was a money pit.

Zoony is correct thought,IF you find one not abused they are about as reliable as any cheaper brand.(or I think that's what he said ;) )

Test drive it and while youre out doing that, drop by your mechanic and have him look at it. You can coordinate both with each other. If the guy you are buying it from has a problem with that then there's something up. If he doesnt your mechanic should be able to tell you what's up anyways.

I bought an '87 stang in '88 put 180K miles on it and traded it in for a new '99 stang. I have 87K on the '99. Both have been great cars. Only thing I've had to do other than regular maintenance is I had the a/c recharged once.

I wouldn't buy a used Ford. We have a 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer, while it's a pretty nice ride, I can see it having it's problems in the future. I would reccomend Volkswagon or Nissan if your going used.

I wouldn't buy one either...but I did.

My Explorer has about 200,000 on it now, I can see problems in it's future too. ;)

I bought a '91 Mustang GT. Put about 65k miles on it before it was totaled in an accident. I never had any trouble with it. I currently drive an '02 Mustang GT. Has about 75k miles on it. I have never had any trouble with it. I agree with another post, just do your homework. I think Mustangs are great, and can't imagine driving anything else. I'm pretty sure the song "Mustang Sally" was written just for me. I would be leery of buying a GT from someone young, but just have it checked out. Truth is, there is nothing on the road like American Muscle!!! Good luck with your purchase.

Buy one from a private owner, with less then 20k miles on it. Probably all the routine service has been done, and you may find one that comes with an extended warranty. If so, no worries. If people would just change all the fluids and filters regularly, most cars will make it to at least 150K miles. OTOH (as larry would say) I'd be more inclined to buy a turbo (or supercharged) 4 cylinder (or 6cyl.) now, with gas being as high as it is. That way you can get 30 mpg and performance when you want it.

As a service advisor, I see theese kinds of cars all the time. Fords in general are junk, I'll throw that out there. My girlfriend has a 2001 Focus, I had to replace the engine at 90K (1 piston broke off from the connecting rod), pretty ****ty if you ask me. The Mustang however is a very nice car in compairison to most other Fords. They have less problems in compairison, and are generally reliable. I guess I should really limit that to the V-8 models. Most of the Mustangs we see in for repair are V-6s, they are hardly more reliable than the Taurus with the same exact motor.

I do agree with someone else's post, they have a harsh ride and a very noisey drivetrain. If you are going to get one, get the a V-8 in manual, anything less and you are not a man (OK, less of a man). The Mustang is a sports car, people who buy V-6/Auto Mustangs would be much better served with a car like the Nissan Altima 3.5.

In summary... Fords suck, but the Mustang V-8 is the cream of the crop when it comes to Ford. If you buy a Mustang V-8, which I believe is now the GT, you'd be in for a generally good car.

Gentlemen, (and ladies)

I've had junk cars my whole life; I never could afford much else. However; I have finally gotten my financial life in order, bought a house, invested some money, and got an IRA. Therefore, I feel I should spoil myself a little bit. I have always loved Mustangs, in fact, my first car was a 64 1/2 Mustang I bought myself and restored.

So, I want to get a used Mustang (I see little to zero value in buying a new car) and I am looking to spend around 15K. However; since I have had junk cars my whole life, I have had car issues my whole life as well. Right now my dream is to have a car that works for multiple years with only routine work.

I am curious if anyone has good or bad stories regarding 2006 or 2007 Mustangs. The last thing I want is a car that will cause tons of problems for me at 70,000 miles. I appreciate any insight.

As always, HTTR!

junk car huh?? if you still want it want to give it to me for a Junk car price?? ;)

my friend has an 05. i dont know much about the previous generation though. the v6 gets decent gas mileage at around 20mpg from what ive seen. howver you get very little performance. its somewhat torqey but has very little horsepower or top end. that said you could get a gt for the performance value, and still get 15 mpg or even higher. i mean you are spoiling yourself you might as well get something fun to drive. :cheers:

Archived