Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Celebrity Redskin Fans (Re-eMerged/Updated/2008 Offseason Edition))

Griff

I saw in another thread that Sean Astin (Rudy) is a Redskins fan, so I started think about which other Celebrities were Skins fans:

Matthew McConaughey - Actor

SI: How does a kid from Texas become a Washington Redskins fan?

McConaughey: I'll tell you how. I grew up in Texas. Born in Uvalde and raised in Longview, which is two hours east of Dallas. So when you are six years old why do you start liking a team? Well, when your favorite food is hamburger and they have a linebacker, No. 55, named Chris Hanberger. And then you find yourself up late watching Westerns and rooting for the Indians instead of the Cowboys. So you become a Redskin fan. Then you have people like John Riggins who becomes your favorite running back. Everybody in town loved Tony Dorsett, so you have to stand up for Riggins. I was at the last game at RFK, the first game at Fed Ex and the first game at Jack Kent Cooke.

PH2005081200057.jpg

Friday, August 12, 2005

As if Dale Earnhardt Jr. didn't have enough going through his mind Sunday afternoons, the Washington Redskins fan gets his favorite football team's scores radioed to him -- while he's racing.

Earnhardt, who has followed the Redskins since he was about 8 years old, was a guest yesterday at Redskins Park, where he spent one of his few days off watching training camp from the sideline.

"My fans tell me when I lose, it ruins their week," said Earnhardt, who is NASCAR's most popular driver. "When the Redskins lose, it ruins my week. My dream growing up was to be a Washington Redskin."

The highlight of Earnhardt's afternoon came at the end of practice when he met Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs , who owns one of NASCAR's most successful teams. Joe Gibbs Racing driver Tony Stewart won Sunday's NASCAR race in Indianapolis and assumed the Nextel Cup points lead.

Asked if he would ever consider driving for Gibbs, Earnhardt said: "That would be awesome. Everything he's been associated with has been a success. . . . [but] today had nothing to do with racing."

Gibbs joked that he can't afford Earnhardt.

"If I had $100 million, I could do that, and that's what he left out," Gibbs said. "He makes about $50 million a year, so if I could top that, we might have a chance."

-- Tarik El-Bashir

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/11/AR2005081101809.html

:helmet:

Craig Biggio - Houston Astros

My buddy told me he has season tickets...

Friday, October 14, 2005

6:07:15 PM EDT

Hearing the Who

Craig Biggio Is an Awfully Nice Guy

I continue to be amazed by the guests who call in to our little podcast that could. Yesterday we interviewed my second favorite ballplayer of all time, Cal Ripken Jr.*, and today Astros 2B/CF/C/HOF Craig Biggio gave eight minutes of his time before warming up for tonight's NLCS Game 3. And before calling us, he did a PTI interview. PTI, then SBL. That makes my day.

The interview will be a part of Monday night's SBL, but you can hear the clip now and here's some of the ground we covered:

-- Why this year will be different for Houston.

-- Bagwell's HOF chances.

-- Bagwell's chances of pulling a Kirk Gibson this October.

-- Biggio's participation in a Coors Light Knighting Ceremony (really).

-- How Biggio changed his approach to hit a career-high 26 HR this year.

-- Why umpire Doug Eddings is public enemy #1 (and also a d-bag).

-- Comparing Mr. October 2005 Chris Burke to Biggio.

-- Being a Redskins fan (!).

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/mrirrelevant/entries/2121

Jimmy Kleinsasser - Minnesota Vikings

I'm sure growing up you had a favorite NFL team. Let's say it was the Bears, for the sake of this question -- you're a big Bears fan, know all the players, their stats, etc. How would you deal with being drafted by Green Bay or Minnesota? -- Douglas Dorta, Dallas

The opportunity to play is so much more important than which team I go to in the draft. Wherever I land, I'll be happy -- you just have to take it and run with it. I've been a Redskins fan all my life, but I could put on anybody's uniform and be proud to play for them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/news/1999/03/13/diary_kleinsasser/

Darrell Armstrong, G Dallas Mavericks

Tuesday, December 20, 2005; Page E02

Mavericks guard Darrell Armstrong was so happy his beloved Washington Redskins beat the Dallas Cowboys that he grabbed a microphone before Sunday night's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves and hollered, "How 'bout those Redskins!"

It's going to cost him $1,000 ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/19/AR2005121901767.html

darrellarmstrong.gif

Please feel free to add anyone else you can think of.

Funny story about Matthew McCounahey

Actually not real funny but it connects

I was out in LA a few weeks ago and I was at a sushi place with my friend

She introduces me to the chef whom she knew

He was like "oh he is the guy from DC right?", I told him yup

Well chef sushi says "Go Ravens!"

And I say, "no I am a Redskins fan"

Well he then adds "oh cool, one of my buddies is a Skins fan, he grew up in Texas though kinda wierd huh, yeah his name is Matthew McCounahey"

I was like "damn thats one hell of a name drop"

Yeah its a lame story but I thought I'd share it

Funny story about Matthew McCounahey

Actually not real funny but it connects

I was out in LA a few weeks ago and I was at a sushi place with my friend

She introduces me to the chef whom she knew

He was like "oh he is the guy from DC right?", I told him yup

Well chef sushi says "Go Ravens!"

And I say, "no I am a Redskins fan"

Well he then adds "oh cool, one of my buddies is a Skins fan, he grew up in Texas though kinda wierd huh, yeah his name is Matthew McCounahey"

I was like "damn thats one hell of a name drop"

Yeah its a lame story but I thought I'd share it

That is a cool story, thanks for posting it. :)

JB from the Foxs team is a Skins fan. He was on Redskins Extra a few weeks before the season started and he was asked about his outlook on the team. He kept on responsing with "we" until he caught himself and said he hoped the top Fox brass arent watching because he is supposed to be unbias, even though he is from D.C.

JB from the Foxs team is a Skins fan. He was on Redskins Extra a few weeks before the season started and he was asked about his outlook on the team. He kept on responsing with "we" until he caught himself and said he hoped the top Fox brass arent watching because he is supposed to be unbias, even though he is from D.C.

Yes , he's a die hard fan and he hurts when we lose and he has to talk about It on the Fox show. Good man. I thought the Blowfish were Dolphins fans. I've known that Damon Wayens from My Wife And Kids and Living Color is a Skins fan.

Richard Petty is an avid Redskins fans and Keenan Ivory Wayans from "In Living Color" wore Redskins jackets on his show. Additionally, TNT and former Washington Post and ESPN reporter David Aldrige is a BIG Redskins fan. I went to college with him and his desk had Redskins memorabilia on it.

Archived