Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Charles Mann Works with Brian Orakpo

Conn

Source, thanks to Hap: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/11/charles_mann_works_with_brian.html#more

Thought everyone would enjoy this. Orakpo is already a "core Redskin". Its no wonder why he's been so easy to root for, besides being a beast.

Charles Mann works with Brian Orakpo

By Dan Steinberg

mannorapko1110.jpg

(From the AP Archives)

On the day Brian Orakpo was first introduced at Redskins Park, he referred to the careers of Skins defensive ends Charles Mann and Dexter Manley. Via the Washington Times, from when it had a sports section:

Although he is too young to recall watching Manley and Mann play, the 23-year-old Orakpo said he learned about them because the nickname of his alma mater, Lamar High School in Houston, is the Redskins. He made sure to mention that he never was a Dallas Cowboys fan.

"I went from a Redskin to a Longhorn back to a Redskin," he said. "My high school coach told me, once you're a Redskin, you're always a Redskin."

And within the past month, Orakpo got to tap into those legacies a bit more. Mann accompanied the team to Chicago, and Orakpo said on Wednesday that he got some alumni tutoring before facing the Bears.

"Met him at the Chicago game, he was able to show me some tips here and there," Orakpo said. "I got two sacks, so obviously it helped. I was able to use it and translate that to the field. Like I said, I'm a guy open to always trying to get better, always trying to get that edge on other people, so that's what I do."

Click link for rest of the article. Its a good read!

why cant he be both? and to be honest Id rather him be a dominant DE than an average linebacker very good pass rusher and I think he has those sorts of tools.

i agree. if we went back to the 4-3 i think he'd have just as much success if not more. but, that isn't happening any time soon.

naturally i'd like him to be both. i look at lorenzo alexander and think 'man if rak could be that good.' i feel like zo is much smarter than most people realize. if rak could play with that motor and be that mentally involved in the game, we'd be looking at a d.ware type player - maybe even better.

Nice quote from Shanahan today, props to MTH for the "quotes" thread:

On how linebacker Brian Orakpo gets held every game but still remains effective:

“He is relentless. To have him playing 100 miles per hour all the time gives you a chance to make plays both in the running game and the passing game. He is relentless in his approach, he studies the game extremely hard and he is going to be a big play guy for years to come.”

I remember the days leading up to that draft and I was totally against getting him. I thought he was undersized and wouldn't make a good LB, let alone a pass rushing DE. The man is amazing and one of my favorite young players on the team. I can't wait until they get another DE like him. Then it will really remind me of Mann and Manley.

like learning how to be more elusive. Dude runs right into holds.

Agreed. He definitely has the strength and the speed off the edge. Now what it seems he needs are more counter moves and a bit better hand technique which can help him shed some of those holds and still get to the QB. He is still young and is already a beast. But if he gets that stuff down as well and incorporates it into his game he will truly be insane and borderline unblockable. I think with his mentality and work ethic it will happen.

I watched the 'miked-up' show today on NFL Net with John Randle. What an elusive beast with a motor that just wouldn't quit (and one of my favorite all-time NFL characters ever .. what a whack job!). I though about 'Rak while watching this. Randle had such a tremendous spin move that he could ALWAYS get to the QB. If 'Rak can learn more of that, he can be even better than Randle was in his day. And Randle is in the Hall.

Archived