Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fanhouse: Elfin:Cowboys Have NFC East's Best Defense

tr1

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/31/cowboys-have-nfc-easts-best-defense/

They have some of the greatest nicknames in NFL history: the Purple People Eaters, the Fearsome Foursome, the Steel Curtain. And so many unforgettable players have played the position: Reggie White, Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith, Warren Sapp, Bob Lilly, Doug Atkins, Buck Buchanan, Ben Davidson, Mean Joe Greene, Gino Marchetti, just to name 10.

Of course, I'm talking about the defensive line, a position group that helped win Super Bowls for the 2007 New York Giants (Michael Strahan, Barry Cofield, Fred Robbins and Osi Umenyiroa), the 1987 Washington Redskins (Charles Mann, Dave Butz, Darryl Grant and Dexter Manley) and the 1977 Dallas Cowboys (Too Tall Jones, Jethro Pugh, Randy White and Harvey Martin) and scared the heck out of opposing offenses for the 1988 Philadelphia Eagles (Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown, Mike Pitts and White). In short, there's a pretty strong tradition of defensive line excellence in the NFC East.

So who has the best line in 2010? As was the case at quarterback, running backs, receivers/tight ends and the offensive line, it's the Cowboys.

1. Dallas -- Like the Redskins, the Cowboys play a 3-4 defense. The difference is that Dallas has been using the scheme for years and is accomplished at its nuances. Jay Ratliff (83 tackles, six sacks) is one of the game's premier nose tackles and would probably be better known if he wasn't overshadowed by outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, a pass-rushing demon. Ends Igor Olshansky and Marcus Spears are more run-stuffers then get after the quarterback types, but they're big reasons why the Cowboys ranked fourth against the run and ninth on defense in 2009. Nose tackle Junior Siavii and end Stephen Bowen are the top backups.

2. New York -- This isn't based off the ugly 2009 season, but on past performance and a refreshed outlook from Umenyiora, who battled deposed coordinator Bill Sheridan throughout last season. Umenyiora and fellow ends Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka had 16 sacks between them in 2009, fewer than half of their combined career-highs of 34.5. If they approach the latter rather than the former this season, new coordinator Perry Fewell will be looking pretty smart. Chris Canty had an injury-riddled first year after coming over from Dallas, but he, Cofield and Rocky Bernard should be a solid trio at tackle. First-round draft choice Jason Pierre-Paul, just 21, will be worked in slowly behind the veteran ends. New York was 14th against the run and tied for 13th overall on defense in 2009.

3. Philadelphia -- The Eagles' quartet of ends Trent Cole and Juqua Parker and tackles Mike Patterson and Brodrick Bunkley had been together since the latter broke into the lineup in November 2007. They were major factors in Philadelphia winning wild card berths in 2008 and 2009 and ranking ninth against the run and 12th overall on defense last season. However, first-rounder Brandon Graham has moved ahead of Parker after having such an impressive summer. Darryl Tapp, acquired from Seattle, 2008 second-rounder Trevor Laws and overachiever Antonio Dixon are the other reserves.

4. Washington -- It's hard to judge the Redskins' line, not only because it's the unit's first year in new coordinator Jim Haslett's 3-4 scheme, but because top player Albert Haynesworth is so troublesome. Haynesworth, an All Pro tackle for Tennessee, is enough of a force that even as he played half-heartedly at times and missed four games during his Washington debut in 2009, his presence inside helped free outside rushers Brian Orakpo and Andre Carter for 11 sacks each. Haynesworth has balked at playing nose tackle and has clashed with coach Mike Shanahan, but if he plays to his potential, Washington could have a dangerous line. Adam Carriker, back from the shoulder surgery that ended his 2009 season in St. Louis before it began, and Phillip Daniels are solid run-stoppers at left end as is Kedric Golston, who'll likely rotate with Haynesworth at right end. If nose tackle Ma'ake Kemoeatu is fully recovered from the torn Achilles that sidelined him for all of 2009 in Carolina, Haynesworth, Haslett and Shanahan will all be happier. The well-traveled Vonnie Holliday, 34, figures to be the sixth lineman.

I'm pretty sure Elfin hasn't watched any of the pukes' preseason games...and the individual position battles of many of these guys he's touted.

The pukes' defense looks very, very ordinary...and, it's still vulnerable to the deep pass and a decent running game.

But, keep eating the cheese puke fans.

:rotflmao:

Does anyone know the reason elfin got fired? He seems to come off awfully bitter toward the redskins. I never loved his articles in the past but they are absolutely horrendous now. Almost feels like the skins organization was somehow responsible for his dismissal.

Elfin needs to give up article writing. That's 2 for 2. :ols:

Elfin just posted a scathing tweet about the Skins being desperate to sell out week 1 due to the fact that they are giving away tickets to anyone that donates blood.

I think Snyder must have pissed in his Wheaties.

Does anyone know the reason elfin got fired? He seems to come off awfully bitter toward the redskins. I never loved his articles in the past but they are absolutely horrendous now. Almost feels like the skins organization was somehow responsible for his dismissal.

The Washington Times stopped having a Sports Section to save money, both Elfin and O'Hallaran were let go. O'Hallaran is reporting for CSN, and Elfin is with Fanhouse.

In fact the Redskins had a party for them on their last day and gave each a Redskins Jersey with their names on them and for a number the number of years they had been reporting on the Redskins. I suspect Elfin is trying for a job with ESPN :)

I still haven't seen Dallas really stop teams from passing against them for the last half decade. Ware may be a hall of a playmaker but I'd take Philly's D over Dallas's. And I sure as hell wouldn't rate Dallas best in the NFC#E

Compare Philly's D against the Dallas D last year and then say the same thing with a straight face. That' much more of a barometer than preseason. Dallas gave up the second fewest points in the league and you guys are acting like they're Cleveland's D.

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the Cowboy D after the first few games. If they stink, I'll admit it. If they do what I'm pretty sure they'll do, will you man up?

We don't expect to see you after Sept 12th...and, no one will really miss you.

tr1 is right. We have a few Cowgirls fans on this site that have been around the block here. And even some of them disappear after a particularly embarrassing stretch for Dallas.

So believe us when we say, we won't expect you back.

On that note, has DOTS already been banned?? Or did he just run out of excuses for the OL sucking?

Its not much of a stretch to say Dallas has the best defense in the NFCe, they had the best scoring defense in the NFC last year, only the jets gave up fewer points. The one shortcoming Dallas really has on D is a lack of turnovers, having 40 in the last two years combined.

Archived