Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Redskins News: Ray Brown hired by 49ers, Earnest Byner fired

TheLongshot

Running backs under Earnest Byner as their coach:

2004: Clinton Portis - 1,315 yards

2005: Clinton Portis - 1,516 yards

2006: Ladell Betts - 1,154 yards (in only 9 starts)

2007: Clinton Portis - 1,262 yards

2008: Chris Johnson - 1,228 yards

2009: Chris Johnson - 2,006 yards

How this man gets fired is completely beyond me.

Doesn't make sense, you would think that results speak for themselves and a RB coach who has had running back gain 1000+ yards dating back to 04 would secure a spot on anyone's staff but like the article said, he may be a little too hot headed but I say if you want results go after the best people and with these types of results, I would want Byner on my staff.

He seems to be a terrible coach. Don't let the numbers fool you.

I recall a few years ago, when Portis was having a dry spell for an extended period.

Riggins came on that George Michael show.....Redskins Report? And he said that Portis was leaning forward, and needed to run more straight up. That his mechanics were off.

Portis obviously listened. He then improved immediately, and went on a tear.

About three weeks later, he said he realized "he had been leaning too far forward the whole time, and it was pointed out." Byner was let go at the end of that season.

It is pretty sad when Riggins can see that on the tv, and Byner wasn't on top of it.

Don't confuse a good former player with being able to coach. The two can be exclusive.

Byner will do well in Jax if that's the case but he coaches Chris Johnson to 2000 yards to get fired, doesn't make a lot of sense. Good for Ray Brown. Wouldn't had minded us giving him a shot like we are Keenan McCardell but I trust anything Shanahan done and obviously Forester has been a coach in this league for awhile

I still will always remember EB the coach as the guy who tried to save Danny, Vinny and Gibbs 2.0 from themselves when he told them that he was comfortable with Betts and Cartwright as replacements for CP after CP got hurt in the Cinci preseason game back in 06 and they still went out and made that braindead trade for Duckett.

Of course EB was proven right when Duckett did jack**** and Betts had a good run at the end of the 06 season.

Completely agree. It doesn't make sense, but it was hinted that the Redskins didn't rehire Byner because he was supposedly the leak in that one story to the Washington Post about the inner locker room strife that was going on in 2006. Perhaps he did something that made Fisher mad? I don't know, but you are absolutely correct in that his numbers don't lie. The guy will get another job. He will be back to work before you know it.

Archived