Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Concussion could threaten Portis' season

MattFancy

Clinton Portis is still feeling the aftereffects from his concussion, which the Washington Post reports is "stirring questions about whether he might sit out the remainder of the season."

"He came in today. He still has a little, I don't know, if it was like a ringing in his head," coach Jim Zorn explained. According to the Post, Portis is a good bet to sit out another few games "at the very least." Portis will continued to be monitored, but it sounds like the Redskins are ready to use extreme caution in bringing him back. Ladell Betts (ankle, questionable) will operate as the lead back once he returns to full health.

http://www.rotoworld.com/

I dunno about missing the rest of the year. I could see him missing a game or 2. But the rest of the season seems a little crazy. But what do I know?

There is a lot of unknown regarding conussions and their effects. I believe it was Kampman over in GB that continued the rest of the game after a concussion without informing his coaches. Moss may have suffered one as well last week since he stated he had no memory of laying on the turf, he thought he got right up. Different players are effected differently from varying severities and the brain is something you want to be sure about. Whether he ever plays again Portis' long term health would be my #1 concern.

If it is a lingering problem stick him on IR. If there is a surgery that can help with those bone spurs in his ankles this would give him a great time to get everything taken care of and be up and running for offseason work outs. Our season is already in the can and our run game isn't going to get any better whether we have Portis or not. Lets rest him up and hope we can get another productive season out of him in 2010.

If it's an uncapped year next year, I think you can take it to the bank he'll be gone. He's a HUGE cap hit as it is... if there's an uncapped year and we can release him with no penalty it would be beneficial for us to do so. Despite how awesome he's been for us. It's for the betterment of the team, unfortunately.

I'd like to see him around for another year at least. I think he deserves the team rushing record. He's worked hard here and helped us to the playoffs twice. Let him get the record then let him go on his way.

Then we'd take a cap hit.

Question to all who would like him to stay:

What do you view as more important...

Our loyalty to players (such as Portis)?

or...

The team rebuilding and able to be in contention in the next five years?

Then we'd take a cap hit.

Question to all who would like him to stay:

What do you view as more important...

Our loyalty to players (such as Portis)?

or...

The team rebuilding and able to be in contention in the next five years?

Well if it is an uncapped year...why couldn't we push all his salary to 2010 and then cut him after the season? Would there still be a cap hit?

I think we need to show some loyalty. We haven't done a very good job of that lately. Jansen, Clark, Pierce to name a few. Portis can be a headache a times, but he's done alot for this team. I understand cutting him would be financial sense, but you need to reward your players for their work.

Well if it is an uncapped year...why couldn't we push all his salary to 2010 and then cut him after the season? Would there still be a cap hit?

I think we need to show some loyalty. We haven't done a very good job of that lately. Jansen, Clark, Pierce to name a few. Portis can be a headache a times, but he's done alot for this team. I understand cutting him would be financial sense, but you need to reward your players for their work.

I agree with some loyalty being necessary...

However, I think we need to sacrifice some loyalty in order to get better...

Once we've righted the ship we can afford to be loyal like we should be... Until then our focus needs to be on getting better.

I don't think the rules allow for pushing the salary all into one year but I'm an X and O guy, not a front office guru :)

Portis would not be the poster child for showing loyalty. It would just look like the owners buddy is getting special treatment again.

I agree with some loyalty being necessary...

However, I think we need to sacrifice some loyalty in order to get better...

Once we've righted the ship we can afford to be loyal like we should be... Until then our focus needs to be on getting better.

I don't think the rules allow for pushing the salary all into one year but I'm an X and O guy, not a front office guru :)

This will be a tough decision for this team in the offseason. I understand both sides. I hope to see him around another year, but would understand if he's not. He's one of my favorites so it would be tough to see him go.

I'd like to see him around for another year at least. I think he deserves the team rushing record. He's worked hard here and helped us to the playoffs twice. Let him get the record then let him go on his way.

I'm not so sure.

Portis has been a warrior on the field, but Riggo was too. Riggo is a nut and was a pain in the rear off the field while playing, but he's a Hall of Famer and represents the "Camelot" period of Redskin football. Portis represents the Snyder era and despite his being a gameday warrior, he has had his share of bad moments between games (nothing like Riggo of course).

If Portis doesn't get the record, I'm ok with that.

Ok, if there is no cap, we still have to pay him what he is owed, correct? It just doesn't affect a CAP. But he is still due the money he is due. I think.

That's right. It hurts Snyder's pocket, but that's about it. Releasing him in an uncapped year would get the team out from under the mountain of future debt that Portis' contract brings.

Wow. I have a very bad feeling about this. Once you have had a bad concussion, more are sure to follow.

Damn. I had written in a thread two weeks ago, that I did not think Portis would make it to the end of the season. But, dude! Portis was very good for the skins. It's been almost a week and he still is having a problem. I do not want to lose Clinton for the season, but I don't want him to end up with brain damage. Best of luck CP.

Archived