Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Concussion could threaten Portis' season

MattFancy

I believe he still a very good back, I'm betting he sits out for a few games and if he does sit for the year then he will be much fresher next year, I still love and support CP!

I'm a afraid that I don't think he has that much left in the tank. I would happily admit to being wrong though.

This is a thread I started a few weeks ago...

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=303034

Does his performance on the field match his salary? Can a much cheaper player provide as much, if not more production? Is he likely to improve at this stage in his career, or slow down further?

These are the questions a competent GM should be asking when deciding whether to keep or cut a player. There is no loyalty in the NFL, that's not how it works. It doesn't matter what Portis has done in the past. The only thing that matters THIS OFFSEASON is, is he the best possible use of the funds we are spending on him? If the answer is no (and it is) then bye bye. Welcome to the real world. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that we keep him another year, at his salary, so can get the rushing record he "deserves". That's delusional. Team comes before player.

Totally agree.

Teams focus on MAYBE one or two central players and that's it. For example, as long as Polamalu is remotely fair in negotiations, the Steelers will hold onto him. Meanwhile, Joey Porter is a very popular player who became a casualty eventually.... of course keeping in mind that the Steelers make moves sometimes out of cheapness. The Pats are another great example though; they evaluate their players and take value when they can, meanwhile always keeping an eye to the future. The Skins haven't done any of those things well in a long time.

If they do that, won't it likely mean that he has played his last play as a Redskin?

If this is his last season as a Redskin it is a travesty. Clinton Portis has time and again put this team on his shoulders and carried them. I know his mouth gets ahead of him at times, but he isn't a cancer like Terrell Owens. Portis deserves to be the Redskins' all-time leading rusher and he deserves to be with the team for another year. We have all seen what the guy can do behind an alright to mediocre line ala the first half of 2008. Just imagine if the Redskins made some moves in free agency and the draft on the offensive line and they had a young back to add a change of pace.

HTTR

Archived