Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld: Concussion could threaten Portis' season

MattFancy

the most pitiful team ever. Basic concusions and stringers have all of sudden became career ending injuries and season enders.

the veterans gave up on this team early.

Two points.

1: Do you play football? Have you ever had a concussion? Any injury to the brain seems kinda like a big deal to me. Considering it's oh I don't know.....the most important organ in the human body.

2: Samuel's stinger is much more serious because of his stenosis condition. Somebody should not have to risk their life, especially when it will be wasted on this season.

the most pitiful team ever. Basic concusions and stringers have all of sudden became career ending injuries and season enders.

There is no such thing as a basic concusion. We are talking about an injury to the brain.

Think about that.

wonder if Portis would renegotiate his contract to stay with the skins? Not re-structure ... but re-do his contract to stay here and take far less money.

I can't really see him getting any offers anywhere else in the league for anything other than a short contract for the league minimum.

he's been a warrior for us ... though he's made his fair share of poor off the field comments ... he always played his butt off on Sundays. he is ether out of shape or has lost a step ... because he has not looked the same at all this year.

PS -- Jason Campbell is not the only player who has "suffered" from the constant scheme changes over the years. It's still knd of amazing that this FO can't look at the chain of events over the last 10 years and say top themselves "WTF no wonder we can't win we are constantly changing our offensive systems and coaching staffs".

I still day dream and wonder how good we could have been last year if we stayed with GW and Al and left everything in tact from when Gibbs retired.

It may be a sign of the times, and the overall state this team is in, but I don't think it matters if CP is done for the season or not. Aside from his run of 34yds against the Giants & 78yrds against the Chiefs, he's shown nothing this year.

Whether its his fault, the Olines fault, the poor playcalling. It probably doesn't matter now. A few games with another RB in the game, so be it.

I do hope the guy is alright health wise, though.

It may be a sign of the times' date=' and the overall state this team is in, but I don't think it matters if CP is done for the season or not. Aside from his run of 34yds against the Giants & 78yrds against the Chiefs, he's shown nothing this year.

Whether its his fault, the Olines fault, the poor playcalling. It probably doesn't matter now. A few games with another RB in the game, so be it.

I do hope the guy is alright health wise, though.[/quote']

i AGREE....MD5 will get his chance..lol

Portis is still good ...i hope the NYG,or New England, picks him up if we decide to release him..Without CP though,plays should open up for the O..Portis is always going to have 8men in the box at all times ..Killing are dinks and dunks,slants,the B Mitchell pass,short stuff ect..With CP out the whole offense should have more opportunity to make plays in the open field

I'm actually hoping for that for the future of this team.

I've cheered my ass off for CP. I've loved him and I've hated him. Two things are for sure though: he's lost a step and it's time to move on.

I agree. Steve Czabe said last week he if Snyder really wants this team to move forward, CP has played his last game for the Skins. Never thought it would be due to a concussion.

However, it's time to move on. We should have picked up our RB for the future in one of the last two drafts. Philly realized Westbrook was starting to get fragile and drafted his replacement last season. How's that working out for them w/ his recent concussion? How's LeSean Mccoy working out for them?

Maybe the most ridiculous post I have ever read on here... Basic concussions??? come on bro save yourself some shame think before you hit enter

I am not sure but I believe they have a brain function test now to test the recovery from "Basic concussions".. The players are tested preseason for brain function to get a baseline. . after a "Basic concussion" they are tested until the brain function returns to the pre injury levels.

Concussions are NOT basic they are quite complex.. remember it is a brain injury.. repeated concussions can lead to a chronic condition

If Portis really does have a serious concussion, ala Aikman and others, the best thing for him and the Skins would be to part ways. Especially if next year offers some chance to reduce the cap hit for future years.

I say this as a CP fan. His health should come first, the Skins need to rebuild with or without him, and even if Portis doesn't get the record, there hasn't been another back to carry the Skins like he has since Riggo.

I agree. Steve Czabe said last week he if Snyder really wants this team to move forward, CP has played his last game for the Skins. Never thought it would be due to a concussion.

However, it's time to move on. We should have picked up our RB for the future in one of the last two drafts. Philly realized Westbrook was starting to get fragile and drafted his replacement last season. How's that working out for them w/ his recent concussion? How's LeSean Mccoy working out for them?

So we draft a Rb ,and forget about the Oline?

Or else explain how we can get rid of CP,and still draft more than one olinemen all in one offseason.:doh:

Question Two-Lets say for some strange reason Vinny Drafts a bust Rb ? (i know that can't happen to the Redskins) or he dosen't get any playing time?(THAT will never happen with Danny and Vinny either) then what do we do?

The year is uncapped,Why cut CP premature? If some one is willing to trade a 3rd or better..than ok,but if WE GET NOTHING,why let him go..You would think we have the worst RB in the NFL? Stats don't lie on this O! yes,even this season,with this oline scramble..CP was 6TH ranked going into the ATL..People say LB can do what Portis did. okay,Eight games from now LB should be Ranked 12th in the NFl (If CP season is over)

I am all for looking for a Replacment player for any posistion on our team..But I am not for cutting Players Premature..Why release Moss ? Cp? and recieve nothing? Is anyone going to tell me that if the entire team gets Better, CP,and Moss,production wont improve? crazy

So we draft a Rb ,and forget about the Oline?

Or else explain how we can get rid of CP,and still draft more than one olinemen all in one offseason.:doh:

These types of posts baffle me. Whenever someone suggests using ONE draft pick on RB or QB, the canned response is "forget about the OL????"

Everyone realizes that there are multiple rounds to a draft, right? Only a Redskin fan of the past 15 years would assume that anything drafted after the first round is a throw-away. Secondly, this rebuild was never going to happen in one off-season. With the age we have at key positions, it's just not possible.

Therefore, within our positions of need (QB, RB, OL, etc.) we have the luxury of picking the best player available in the draft. Now, personally, I'd prefer to NOT pick a RB in the first round, but that's just my preference since I've seen team after team draft studs in the mid-rounds.

All in all, people have to realize that we can add 4-5 contributors in the draft as well as some wise FA acquisitions. Even then, we don't have to fill all our holes by September, 2010. These beliefs that 1) the only impact player we'll acquire is our first draft pick and 2) this team has to be ready to contend next year are ridiculous.

Have faith in the new GM to set a course of action and follow the plan. We're so jaded by the current incompetence in the front office.

Maybe the most ridiculous post I have ever read on here... Basic concussions??? come on bro save yourself some shame think before you hit enter

I am not sure but I believe they have a brain function test now to test the recovery from "Basic concussions".. The players are tested preseason for brain function to get a baseline. . after a "Basic concussion" they are tested until the brain function returns to the pre injury levels.

Concussions are NOT basic they are quite complex.. remember it is a brain injury.. repeated concussions can lead to a chronic condition

lmao. How has Portis had a repeated history of concussions? This is his first one that has taken him out of the game.

THIS IS FOOTBALL. Even in basketball players don't sit the season with concussions. ( See Blake Griffinth)

Players don't sit the season with stingers. ( Lamar Odom last year) who came back the next game.

You guys can believe what you want. The veterans gave up on the season after week 1.

i don't doubt the injuries are serious. Everyone knows a concussion is a brain injury. But to sit out the season over 1 concussion is a joke.

This team has no heart. No passion. And it starts from the top. Deion Sanders laughed at Portis injury.

Look at Tim Tebow. He missed 1 week being knocked out cold. The team will always stink with Snyder.

If Portis really does have a serious concussion, ala Aikman and others, the best thing for him and the Skins would be to part ways. Especially if next year offers some chance to reduce the cap hit for future years.

I say this as a CP fan. His health should come first, the Skins need to rebuild with or without him, and even if Portis doesn't get the record, there hasn't been another back to carry the Skins like he has since Riggo.

Something is going on in redskins park. Every injury all of sudden is becoming the end of the world.

I think this all has to do with their contracts. Portis and Samuels know they will probaly cut next year in a uncapped year. So they don't want to risk further injury.

Something is going on in redskins park. Every injury all of sudden is becoming the end of the world.

I think this all has to do with their contracts. Portis and Samuels know they will probaly cut next year in a uncapped year. So they don't want to risk further injury.

Portis is not allowed back yet. He has a very serious injury. Lay off on the "they're a bunch of cowards" already.

lmao. How has Portis had a repeated history of concussions? This is his first one that has taken him out of the game.

THIS IS FOOTBALL. Even in basketball players don't sit the season with concussions. ( See Blake Griffinth)

Players don't sit the season with stingers. ( Lamar Odom last year) who came back the next game.

You guys can believe what you want. The veterans gave up on the season after week 1.

i don't doubt the injuries are serious. Everyone knows a concussion is a brain injury. But to sit out the season over 1 concussion is a joke.

This team has no heart. No passion. And it starts from the top. Deion Sanders laughed at Portis injury.

Look at Tim Tebow. He missed 1 week being knocked out cold. The team will always stink with Snyder.

I don't know enough about concussions to comment on that. I know that they are serious and I'm sure there are varying degrees of severity that make it virtually impossible to compare Tebow to Portis to Aikman, etc. I think it's tough to question heart and desire of a professional athlete. Sure, there are cases when players mail it in but when has CP (and I'm NOT a huge fan of his, believe me) ever given us the impression that he doesn't want to play. He plays through minor injuries all the time. Therefore, when something results in him missing time, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Now, when it comes to conditioning and practice, that's a complete separate issue but off-topic.

Also, the comments referring to Samuels and his stinger come across as very ignorant. This isn't a typical stinger nor a typical player. This particular injury flushed out the spinal issue that Samuels has. He's played 10 or 11 years and now risks serious injury if he decides to play again. I'd say that's something to take seriously and I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt as well.

Yeah I think the site clearly showed a divide over the severity of concussions in general in the other thread about Deion sort of making light of Portis' concussion.

It brought to light that there are simply many people who look at concussions in the "old light" - even 10 years ago the awareness on concussions was very different than how it is now. I posted repeatedly in that thread that Portis reportedly couldn't remember the play he got hit on, continued to have side effects days later and then Zorn said he wasn't acting quite himself. Generally these days the prevailing opinion is that it's hard to qualify any concussion as "minor." You have to run certain tests and take certain precautions on all of them, and the only thing that nearly guarantees safety is time to get back to normal before resuming full contact. It may of course be a different expectation if the season were going a different way, but that is basic risk/reward (although I don't know how they judge the severity exactly).

Anyone who questions Portis' heart on the field doesn't pay attention. That guy plays with a fire and appreciation for the game, and a complete willingness to put it on the line. He is one of the few guys who is consistently laying the wood when he's blocking, and if there's a turnover, you see him trying to make that tackle. Those kinds of things aren't usually the actions of someone who wants to mail it in.

I don't know enough about concussions to comment on that. I know that they are serious and I'm sure there are varying degrees of severity that make it virtually impossible to compare Tebow to Portis to Aikman, etc. I think it's tough to question heart and desire of a professional athlete. Sure, there are cases when players mail it in but when has CP (and I'm NOT a huge fan of his, believe me) ever given us the impression that he doesn't want to play. He plays through minor injuries all the time. Therefore, when something results in him missing time, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Now, when it comes to conditioning and practice, that's a complete separate issue but off-topic.

Also, the comments referring to Samuels and his stinger come across as very ignorant. This isn't a typical stinger nor a typical player. This particular injury flushed out the spinal issue that Samuels has. He's played 10 or 11 years and now risks serious injury if he decides to play again. I'd say that's something to take seriously and I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt as well.

http://www.concussiontreatment.com/concussionfacts.html

This was not a mild concussion. Portis needs to be very careful.

Don't believe what you read from redskins park. Even awful Cerratto said the injury is mostly mental.

I am not fooled by the crap that goes on with this team. There is something going on.

The team has given up for some reason. There is too much talent to be 2-6.

I personally think it has to do with contracts. The Hayenesworth and D hall deals caused internal friction. Now the veterans previously on the team they are going to be cut or not re signed. Now you guys going half way.

4-6 week injuries have all of suden become career enders.

I BET YOU everything Samuels comes back next with a different team or a restructured deal. And Portis comes back fine with a different team

Well if it is an uncapped year...why couldn't we push all his salary to 2010 and then cut him after the season? Would there still be a cap hit?

I think we need to show some loyalty. We haven't done a very good job of that lately. Jansen, Clark, Pierce to name a few. Portis can be a headache a times, but he's done alot for this team. I understand cutting him would be financial sense, but you need to reward your players for their work.

Does his performance on the field match his salary? Can a much cheaper player provide as much, if not more production? Is he likely to improve at this stage in his career, or slow down further?

These are the questions a competent GM should be asking when deciding whether to keep or cut a player. There is no loyalty in the NFL, that's not how it works. It doesn't matter what Portis has done in the past. The only thing that matters THIS OFFSEASON is, is he the best possible use of the funds we are spending on him? If the answer is no (and it is) then bye bye. Welcome to the real world. I think it's ridiculous to suggest that we keep him another year, at his salary, so can get the rushing record he "deserves". That's delusional. Team comes before player.

btw, how did the Colts decision to part with Edge turn out? And the Colts owner had a Super Bowl ring made for him to thank him and let him know they know he was a big part of getting them there, even if he had to move on. That's loyalty and respect, respect for what a player contributed to your team and respect to your responsibility to make the team the best it can be. The team always, always come before the player.

Archived