Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weird Associations in Culture

Get Pissed

I know this title seems vague but I'll get straight to the point

I have two. Why do cats LOVE tuna? I'm trying to think of an evolution type thing where cats once hunted tuna generations upon generations ago, but I don't recall Cats living by a body of water and hunting Tuna. Any explanation??

Secondly, in fairy tales and cartoons, why are pigs portrayed with apples in their mouths? I've never raised pigs or let alone spent more than 5 hours of my life near pigs. But Pigs don't eat apples do they? And even if they did I highly doubt it is their go to number one food!

These two associations boggle my mind big time.

Are there any other bizarre associations you have always wandered about? Post here! Enjoy!

Pigs, deer, and horses absolutely love apples BTW.

But it dates back a long time ago when they would fatten the pigs in the fall with apples, then roast them whole over a fire. It was mostly for looks, but some say that the apple keeps their mouth open and therefore vents out any gasses that would build up while they were cooked.

listening to heavy metal and devil worshipping. when i was a kid if you had anything metal in your radio people would look at you funny and they lumped every metal band in to devil worshipping. KISS meant Kids In Satan's Service even though they were singing disco at the time and people just didnt get it.

Cats love beef too, but I can't imagine a cat taking down a cow.

As for the apple and pig thing, one I'm sure pigs like apples. In the wild I wouldn't be surprised if they rooted around eating fallen apples from trees as one of their many foods. Also, you see pigs at a pig roast with an apple in their mouth, maybe that's where it comes from.

in fairy tales

Not sure if this is a weird association but your mention of fairy tales reminded me of a conversation I was having the other day about the original version of fairy tales and how they were actually violent and sexual stories for adults before they were transformed into tales for kids.

listening to heavy metal and devil worshipping. when i was a kid if you had anything metal in your radio people would look at you funny and they lumped every metal band in to devil worshipping. KISS meant Kids In Satan's Service even though they were singing disco at the time and people just didnt get it.

I definitely know what you mean. I remember Ozzy being classified the same way too and a lot of other bands. Then finally when the 80s rolled around bands started embracing it. Venom, Mercyful Fate, Slayer. etc. were all putting out satanic imagery just to **** with the critics...I loved it!

Not sure if this is a weird association but your mention of fairy tales reminded me of a conversation I was having the other day about the original version of fairy tales and how they were actually violent and sexual stories for adults before they were transformed into tales for kids.

Yea dude this is very very true. I learned about this in my English Senior Seminar class in college. There are a ton more examples like this with other fairytales, but I can't for the life of me right now. Will post if I remember.

Yea dude this is very very true. I learned about this in my English Senior Seminar class in college. There are a ton more examples like this with other fairytales, but I can't for the life of me right now. Will post if I remember.

I took a folklore/fairy tales class in college years ago.

The original version of a lot of fairy tales are messed up and not kid friendly. Like in the original Cinderella, the evil-step sisters were so intent on fitting their feet into the glass slipper that they cut off parts of their feet to make them fit.

Then they have their eyes eaten by birds.

Not a fairy tale, but the song "Ring around the Rosie" is about the black plague.

"Pocket full of posies" refers to the flowers people kept with them to cover up the stench from all the deat bodies.

"Ashes, Ashes" referring to burning of the dead.

Lovely song for kids to sing.

Yeah two that come to mind.

Hansel and Gretel and the abandonment of the children stems from the middle ages and the famine and hardship..and letting the kids go so they might survive and have a chance.

Snow White ..also a Germanic tale uses some of the same elements.

Both violent stories.

Not a fairy tale, but the son "Ring around the Rosie" is about the black plague.

"Pocket full of posies" refers to the flowers people kept with them to cover up the stench from all the deat bodies.

"Ashes, Ashes" referring to burning of the dead.

Lovely song for kids to sing.

Another one I thought of is "Sleeping Beauty." It originally had to do with necrophelia.

Not to be overly pedantic, but it was Knights in Satan's Service. My parents wouldn't let me go see them.

yeah, I heard it meant Kiss Is Stanley and Simmons too. Point is my church told my mother that and she bought it hook, line and sinker. They were singing "I was made for loving you baby" at the time and there was NOTHING satanic about them. But because of the association they were branded and I had to break every LP I had of theirs. And I had every one of them from the first to Lick it Up. :(

Rumpelstiltskin is another violent Germanic fairytale. Some versions have her being skewered like a pig if she doesn't spin the gold for the little fella.

She doesn't spin the gold for Rumplestiltskin, Rumplestiltskin spins it for her.

Steering off the fairy tale road...

Fried calimari and marinara sauce. Who ever thought those two things go together well? There are about 26 other sauces I've had with calimari that go better than marinara sauce. I never understood that association.

I think I said in another thread, whoever decided to cook with raw chicken eggs? "yah, the cake tastes good Sebastian, but if it were me I'd add a couple of unfertilized chicken embryos to the batter. That should put it over the top". WTF. You could put me in a room for 100 years and that thought would never occur to me. Never.

A few others I wonder about:

-who looked at a cocoa plant and decided to come up with the recipe for milk chocolate? WTF. Did they try it with, say tobacco too? Milk tobacco? "well I gotta say Erv, the milk chocolate is a winner. The milk tobacco, not so much"

-who in the hell figured out to take hops and barley and boil them for 4 hours with other ingredients, then let it ferment in an airtight container for a week with a little yeast, then putting it in a bottle and adding sugar? Then calling it beer. THEN, drinking it, deciding it tastes like piss, but continuing to force it down because you are convinced it is an "aquired taste". (anyone who says they liked beer the first time they tried it is lying). Again, put me in a room for 100 years, the thought would never occur to me.

-Coffee. Explain coffee. Grow the coffee plant, pick the fruit, extract the beans. Roast the beans, then grind the beans. Then pour hot water over it, drink it, and again decide it tastes like Fido's ass but convince yourself it is an aquired taste. Then decide it would taste better with cows milk and sugar.

- Why didn't they make trains wider when they invented them? I mean, is there any reason they didn't? Is it necessary to be so cramped?

- Why does the letter "x" exist? It can be spelled "ecks". Or if not, it is pronounced as a "z". It is redundant. It brings nothing to the table.

Archived