Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: With Time Passed, Gibbs or Zorn?

McD5

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With some time having passed now since the emotional roller coaster of the Skins 2007 season, who do you believe gives the team the best chance/would give the team the best chance at a run for the Superbowl in 2008?

I personally believe the greatest improvement this offseason wasn't the acquisition of any player, but rather, was the removal of nearly the entire coaching staff.

We had a ton of confusion, no chain of command, egos clashing, terrible clock management and an impotent two minute offense. Our 1987-style offense the other 56 minutes of the game often wasn't much better.

So what do you think? Gibbs 2 and crew......or Zorn?

:logo:

McD5, when you create a thread with a poll, there is a small box near the bottom saying "create poll?" You have to click on that before clicking "submit new thread" so it gives you the poll and the options to put in that poll.

My vote right now, I don't know. I have to see training camp and some of preseason. I will say from an O perspective that a WCO is more enticing than the O we have seen from Gibbs/Saunders, which hasn't ranked top 10. I like Zorn's potential, but Gibbs has certain intangibles, and not many can rally a team like he can. So for now, I don't know. I really need a good look at the product Zorn has to offer.

With some time having passed now since the emotional roller coaster of the Skins 2007 season, who do you believe gives the team the best chance/would give the team the best chance at a run for the Superbowl in 2008?

I personally believe the greatest improvement this offseason wasn't the acquisition of any player, but rather, was the removal of nearly the entire coaching staff.

We had a ton of confusion, no chain of command, egos clashing, terrible clock management and an impotent two minute offense. Our 1987-style offense the other 56 minutes of the game often wasn't much better.

So what do you think? Gibbs 2 and crew......or Zorn?

:logo:

Gibbs II took us from laughingstocks of the NFCE to respectability. 2 playoff appearances in 4 years too.

If Zorn can acheive similar results in 4 years, (I'd say at least 2 playoff appearances and become an elite team), we can talk.

Until then, there's no comparison. Gibbs and co. all the way!:helmet:

Zorn hasn't even played a preseason game yet, so how could you expect anyone to be sold on him? The last time we ran a WCO was the very following year Gibbs retired the first time and we went 1-15 that year.

This team and JC has to learn a brand new offense again, and learn it while their playing in the NFC East, which all 3 teams has very good defenses. Zorn didnt have to worry about too much compitition over there in the West, but he's about to get it first hand over this side.

My choice right now is Gibbs and always will be untill another coach can come in here and do the things that he has done. That man has built some dayum good teams for this city.

The Redskins lead the league in losses when leading at halftime over the last few years. I dont remember the time period but it was 15 losses. His conservative playcalling would have never gotten us to a superbowl IMO. To early to judge Zorn. So I go with undecided.

Gibbs was never going to get it done, and I don't know a thing about Zorn until the first play.

One of my favorite posters on this board......and I agree on the realization that while we were improved--a Superbowl just wasn't going to happen with the way things were.

However, I am becoming extremely excited about Zorn and what he brings. And it isn't the 95 degree heat here in Florida causing it.

Has he called even one single play yet? No.

Could he be our Cam Cameron, totally over his head? Yes.

But knowing how quickly coaching stints in DC last......I believe Zorn knows he is really only guaranteed one season, maybe two tops.....to let it fly.

With the knowledge of Cowher's name waiting in the wings.....and having been a former qb in the league with an offensive mind.....I don't believe he has anything to lose.

I think he has one shot......and he takes it. Total focus, 100% effort.....let's move the ball.

I couldn't ask for anything more.

:cheers:

I obviously voted Undecided going off my first post, but you really need to change why it is undecided, or just leave at as plain old "undecided". Your undecided is very biased, and a poll shouldn't be.

No intent on bias there. If people are really just undecided, they don't have to vote.

That third option doesn't express that. It is more of a, we weren't going to realistically get there with Gibbs.....but it is too early to tell on Zorn.

Different than just "undecided."

Since Zorn hasn't even coached a preseason game yet, who can handicap the relative success the two might have had in 2008? :)

I didn't think the Redskins were going in the direction of being a 14-2 juggernaut team under Gibbs in this go-around, but I did think after a tough 2006 season in which nothing went right for the club, that the 2007 playoff appearance and overcoming the adversity of Sean Taylor's death had toughened this club up and given them an edge they could use to out-muscle some opponents in 2008.

Zorn is soft-glove, at least publicly, we will have to see if his approach works when some adversity hits and he has to be more directive.

It was a toss-up between Gibbs 2 and undecided.

What landed me into the undecided camp was Gibbs 2 ...and crew. I thought Saunders and Williams were really good coaches; I thought Hixon was not. Mainly, Jason Campbell was part of Gibbs crew, and I don't think Campbell was the right QB for Saunders offense. Don't get me wrong, Jason is a cut above many QBs, but we're talking Superbowl, right? Jason simply didn't show enough constistency in running Saunders offense, nor in his passing game for a long enough stretch to make the Superbowl.

IMO, it's too early to start applauding Zorn. I've got a good feeling about him, but he needs to go through a full NFL season before I start deciding on him.

Extremely difficult for even the most knowledgable fan to make this decision. We have not seen one thing out of Zorn. Not even how he will run training camp....how the guys will respond to him.....or.......if how involved he will be in the play to play of the offense.

I believe we survived the 2007 season BECAUSE of Gibbs. I am not sure, given the circumstances, any other coach could have gathered the players and gotten to the playoffs. He was what we needed after the Double S fiasco.

There are so many unknowns about Zorn. My lord, he has never even been a coordinator..........so how can we know what he will bring to the playing field. Going to the SuperBowl with him? Oh my. Let's get out of training camp first.

Have to be totally undecided. Had Gibbs stayed, I don't think we would have made it this year. I think last year took something out of him.......that he would not have been able to get back.

I have an open mind......and wish for our team to once again surprise the media and nay sayers.

It was a toss-up between Gibbs 2 and undecided.

What landed me into the undecided camp was Gibbs 2 ...and crew. I thought Saunders and Williams were really good coaches -- however I don't think Campbell was the right QB for Saunders offense. (Heck, Campbell needs to get a lot better this year, or he might not be the right QB for Zorn's offense.) Don't get me wrong, Jason is a cut above many QBs, but we're talking Superbowl, right? He hasn't shown constistancy for a long stretch.

IMO, it's too early to start applauding Zorn. I've got a good feeling about him, but he needs to go through a full NFL season before I start deciding on him.

Agreed. Impossible to give Zorn any accolades yet.....but I do like the fact that he is younger....and could be here for 10 years, as opposed to a much older coach that had 3-4 years tops before retirement.

I think the guy is going to put the ball in the air. Take shots. Provide some excitement, and get the stadium loud again.

Zorn.

We weren't going to get anything else done with Gibbs. This team was just running in circles in terms of records. The play-calling was way too conservative after we had a slim lead, there were numerous boneheaded moves, and plenty of personnel questions (AA, LLoyd, to name a few).

I'm excited to see what Zorn is going to bring to the table. We might finally have an offense now. I think next year is the year we have the greatest chance to do something championship wise. Hell, we might have a good chance this year. Our offense is going to flourish. Jason has so many weapons to throw to now, and add in our strong running game, and Top 10ish defense, and you've got a pretty good shot at something.

So yes, I think that Zorn has the better chance to win a super bowl, but he wouldn't be doing any of this without Gibbs laying down the groundwork.

I agree with Bulldog. I think a lot of the reason Gibbs decided to call it quits at the end of 2007 was that I think he looked at the results and believed the team, while decent, was probably several seasons away from being true championship caliber. There was the chance that the Skins could captured lightning in a bottle in '08 under Joe, but I think his goal was to build a consistent strong contender.

Bottom line is that while we may have had a chance at a SB in 2008 under Gibbs and Co., which team besides the true dregs doesn't? It was in the organization's best interest to move forward. While I don't expect Zorn to light the world on fire this season, I do like the potential for him to be our coach for a while, and hopefully a successful one in the end.

Gibbs 2 would have gotten it done. The man brought us back from the brink of being the punchline of every joke. 2 playoff appearances in 4 years when there was only 1 since his first departure. While I do not know anything about how Zorn will change the team, I do know if Cerrato and Snyder deviate from the course that Gibbs put them on, we will be a very frustrated fan base.

And no McD5, Betts is not better than Clinton Portis.

Extremely difficult for even the most knowledgable fan to make this decision. We have not seen one thing out of Zorn. Not even how he will run training camp....how the guys will respond to him.....or.......if how involved he will be in the play to play of the offense.

I believe we survived the 2007 season BECAUSE of Gibbs. I am not sure, given the circumstances, any other coach could have gathered the players and gotten to the playoffs. He was what we needed after the Double S fiasco.

There are so many unknowns about Zorn. My lord, he has never even been a coordinator..........so how can we know what he will bring to the playing field. Going to the SuperBowl with him? Oh my. Let's get out of training camp first.

Have to be totally undecided. Had Gibbs stayed, I don't think we would have made it this year. I think last year took something out of him.......that he would not have been able to get back.

I have an open mind......and wish for our team to once again surprise the media and nay sayers.

Thanks for your response.

And Superbowl may sound like lofty expectations......but I really believe it can be achieved.

At no time in the last six years would I have ever said anything like that.

In fact, I haven't been this optimistic about the Skins since the first day that I heard Gibbs was coming back.

After seeing about 6 games into his return, then the Lavar handling, etc....finally capped off with the hiring of Al Saunders, thereby throwing in the towel on a Gibbs offense, I gave up all hope.

But who do we really have to beat to get to the big game? It isn't like we are in the AFC....competing against the top 4 or 5 teams in the league.

Dallas? Giants? Vikings? Packers without Favre?

We can do that. We can definitely compete with those teams.....and if we can move the ball.....we can beat them.

I really believe this is our shot.....and I really believe we have a shot.

We don't know anything about the Zorn playbook, but neither do our opponents. It'll be Week 8 before teams even know what hit them, and by then it'll be too late.

America's Game-2008 Washington Redskins will feature Joe Bugel, Clinton Portis and London Fletcher. Super Bowl, baby. Gibbs rebuilt it, Zorn takes it over the top.

since you think you will know what zorn is about after 1 play tells me you didnt know anything about gibbs

I can guess which one you voted for.

I never said I'd know everything about Zorn after one play. I did say I know nothing about Zorn until the first play.

I think he has one shot......and he takes it. Total focus, 100% effort.....let's move the ball.

I couldn't ask for anything more.

I agree. I actually feel some of that stuff that everyone usually feels. What's it called? Hope? :point2sky

Thanks for your response.

And Superbowl may sound like lofty expectations......but I really believe it can be achieved.

At no time in the last four years would I have ever said anything like that.

In fact, I haven't been this optimistic about the Skins since the first day that I heard Gibbs was coming back.

After seeing about 6 games into his return, then the Lavar handling, etc....finally capped off with the hiring of Al Saunders, thereby throwing in the towel on a Gibbs offense, I gave up all hope.

But who do we really have to beat to get to the big game? It isn't like we are in the AFC....competing against the top 4 or 5 teams in the league.

Dallas? Giants? Vikings? Packers without Favre?

We can do that. We can definitely compete with those teams.....and if we can move the ball.....we can beat them.

I really believe this is our shot.....and I really believe we have a shot.

While I appreciate you optimism, how can you say we can compete with ANY team and beat them........we have NO clue WHAT Zorn can do. Really. He was a qb coach. Never a leader of a team.

Our qb is coming off a season ending injury.....and, IMO, needed to make improvements in his play before he was injured.

A shot? At the SuperBowl? Lots of teams "have a shot."

That is really not making much of a commitment. While it may very well prove to be true....I dont see it. I would love to come back and say........hey......this coach lead this team farther than I thought he would........I just can't make that statement now.

The Redskins lead the league in losses when leading at halftime over the last few years. I dont remember the time period but it was 15 losses. His conservative playcalling would have never gotten us to a superbowl IMO. To early to judge Zorn. So I go with undecided.

15 in 3 years :(

That's one depressing stat and shows the fact that change was necessary. Gibbs will always be a great leader of men, but we needed a different coach.

I think Cowher is going to return this team to respectability starting in 2009. I just can't convinced that Zorn and Blache are anything other than place holders.

"Well, we can't see to find the right coach."

"Let's just wait and get Cowher next year."

"Ok, But who will coach us in the meantime?"

"Hmm. Well, we have this guy we already hired as an OC. Maybe we can sell him as a HC for a season and get people excited about youth and change. Blache is going to retire, but maybe we can talk him into putting in 1 more year as DC."

"Hey, that'll work. Let's go with them until Cowher is ready."

Archived