Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Doug Williams on early HOF Ballot

dieselfan44

One great quarter doth not a Hall of Famer make...though how much did Namath really do beyond his guaranteed victory? Kurt Warner probably did more, but won't even sniff the HoF.

I was gonna say if Namath deserves to be in the hall based on one game, so does Doug Williams.

i don't think that doug had the career to send him to the hall of fame, but i think that there is something to be said about what he did FOR the game. i was too young to understand the full impact of an african american qb leading a team to winning the super bowl (especially in the manner in which he did it), but that accomplishment seems to have spoken beyond his statitstics. does it mean that he deserves to be in the hall of fame, i don't know. is it deserving of a significant recognition, i think so.

I was gonna say if Namath deserves to be in the hall based on one game, so does Doug Williams.

Namath had a HOF career derailed by injuries to his knees. He's be top 10 statistically if his knees hadn't failed him. Plus, he's the first QB to top 4000 yards passing. Those Jet teams were pretty a pretty high-flying arial team with Maynard and co.

Namath had a HOF career derailed by injuries to his knees. He's be top 10 statistically if his knees hadn't failed him. Plus, he's the first QB to top 4000 yards passing. Those Jet teams were pretty a pretty high-flying arial team with Maynard and co.

I agree his knees cut his career short, but he only threw more TD's than Ints once, his rookie season, and for his career he threw 173 TDs versus 220 Ints. For his career he completed 50.1% of his passes. All-time he is 45th in TD's and 43rd in passing yards. Not Hall of Fame numbers in my eyes, he just benefited by playing up to the New York hype.

Basically, doug williams is the Roger Maris of football. He has OK numbers, but he had one great season that was historic. It is hard sometimes to judge those tweeners, but the hall is supposed to be made up of the best. . . while we are on a topic of supposed best, why isn't Art Monk in the Hall of Fame? If John Stallworth is in the hall of fame, then there is no question that Art Monk should be as well.

Archived