Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do you care who starts?

NewCliche21

"Start Campbell!" "Start Brunell!" "Start Rocky!" "Betts over Duckett!"

The board, less the recent trade, has turned into a shouting match about who to start. Why, honestly, does it matter? We all love players on our team, mine are Moss, Portis, Taylor, and Washington, but if a Hall of Fame coach and his two head coach-caliber assistants believe that someone else gives us a better chance to win, then who cares?

What matters more: A "W" or seeing 17, 46, or 52 on the field?

I think what matters to a lot of people is positioning themselves to say "See? I CALLED it!" at some point down the road.

That seems to matter to some folks a lot.

Which I have absolutely no problem with, but to some fans it seems more important to have called it than to have their team win. I had a hell of a feeling about Stephen Davis and Santana Moss, but, if anyone who gave us a better chance of winning came along, then I'd want that player in there.

I guess my issue is with those who have more allegiance to players than the team. I'm a massive fan of lots of Redskins, but even if the entire 1991 squad went to let's say the Saints, and played the 2006 squad, then I'd have no problem cheering for Rogers over Green; for Moss over Monk. Why? Because of that Indian head on the side of the helmet.

I actually enjoy watching them rotating different people in and out of the game.

Every player seems to bring a new twist to the action.

Although it is tough to imagine Cooley running "speed routes"?? please. I think Brunell could beat him in a foot race.

I have to agree that lately this has become more of a "I'm gonna type it first so everyone sees how right I am" board more so than the firey, thought provoking, joking around board of past. I'm thinking its just a phase and I always enjoy the rants but lately it seems to me that we are running out of things to discuss until the season starts. I know this is normal so I'm not stressing it much.

I don't care if Riggins suited back up, as long as we get the W than I'm a happy man.

I think some people on the board have had an anti-Brunell bias since the start and look for any opening to propose casting him aside, regardless of the positive results he produced in 2005.

Last year it was a cry that Ramsey wasn't getting a fair chance to compete and that the Redskins would be sorry for not starting Patrick over the long-term as he would be a star somewhere else in 2006.

This year it is the attempts to try and project Campbell into being an automatic Ben Roethlisberger or Dan Marino that as a 23 year old lifts the team on his back and takes it to the Super Bowl.

The reality, however, is that Ramsey is not going to be a star in NY in 2006. Chad Pennington barring injury will be the starting quarterback and from what we have read Patrick will be doing much the same thing for the Jets he was doing here, namely holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

Campbell will get his shot but it won't be in 2006. At least not as the named starter. People have to separate out the physical talent he shows with the mental preparation and readiness to step in and play under the lights and pressure of the regular season which the coaches feel he has not yet shown.

The kid is learning a new offense. Give him a break. Why throw him to the sharks? :)

The trade was great, but has people talking all crazy now like they don't even know what to think. CP is our starter, he's going to tear it up, get the bulk of the carries, and now won't have to take as much punishment b/c he's got Duckett to help with a bit of the load mainly inside the 10.

I'll tell you why it makes a difference to me who starts and who gets playing time...

I believe that there is a right and a wrong way to play the game. A right and a wrong way to win. To that end, there are certain players who I do and don't want to see on the field. Currently the two that I DON'T want to see on the field are Fuaria and Patten. The one player I DO want to see on the field (though only if he's able to Win games for us) is Jason Campbell. I've gone over my reasonings for all three in the past, so I won't bore you people by rehashing it all.

I'll tell you why it makes a difference to me who starts and who gets playing time...

I believe that there is a right and a wrong way to play the game. A right and a wrong way to win. To that end, there are certain players who I do and don't want to see on the field. Currently the two that I DON'T want to see on the field are Fuaria and Patten. The one player I DO want to see on the field (though only if he's able to Win games for us) is Jason Campbell. I've gone over my reasonings for all three in the past, so I won't bore you people by rehashing it all.

I actually think that it would help the thread if you'd just give us bullet points, as I'm really curious and it's exactly what the thread is about.

Archived