Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Penalties can make the biggest difference

authentic

http://www.local6.com/nfl088/2359374/detail.html

With all of the attention surrounding the Redskins additions and subtractions of the roster, along with the change of offensive philosophy going into the 2005 season one thing that should be of discussion should be the penalty situation. As abysmal as our offense was last year, the element that haunted us, especially in the close games, were penalties. According to my online sources[see above link], the Redskins managed to rack up 115 penalties for a whopping 1047 yards, which nearly set a franchise record, vs 97 penalties for 797 yards by our opponents. Yet, with that considered imagine if those numbers where cut in half we could have ended the season with a 10-6 record and headed into the playoffs. There is no mistaking that the offense needs much improvement, which management have addressed with the "key" aquisition of Bill Musgrave. Yet, i believe that the underlying success of this upcoming season will be the discipline and maturity of this team - starting with the offensive line. I with out a doubt believe that they are in the process of turning things around , and will get it turned around. But as even as this league has become in talent and competition we will not be successful until each individual player hold himself accountable to making good ,sound , decsions when it is needed most.

Take away 3 bad calls by the refs and we'd have won 2 more games and would have been in the playoffs last year with how tight the playoff picture was last year.

But we made enough bad penalties on our own, some discipline is definately in order.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Take away 3 bad calls by the refs and we'd have won 2 more games and would have been in the playoffs last year with how tight the playoff picture was last year.

But we made enough bad penalties on our own, some discipline is definately in order.

Actually that is the bottom line. 3 bad calls, actually 4 if you consider the PI call on Harris against TO (should have been the otherway around) in the second game with Philly. What I don't like about football is that the zebras can have a huge effect on the outcome of this game. In the superbowl man I say more holding, contact down the field, and border line illegal blocks than I saw with the skins during the regular season. The league must do something about that because lets face it some of these calls are down right atrocious.

Now for our team you hit the nail right on the head. For me is not so much Ramsey, the wide receivers etc. Its the OL and their ability to play mistake free football. Just take a look how bac it was when we had 1st and goal in the 1st game with Philly and ended up on the 35 yardline after some of the most stupid penalties an OL can make.

We will not see the false starts, and other superflous offensive lineman penalties we saw last year.

As far as the GB call on the 1 sec set flag well, remember it so you can tell your great great grandchildren about it, thats about when the next time you'll see it. Not saying I have watched alot of football, but that is the first time I have ever seen that penalty called. Ref must have had a stopwatch that they used to time the forty, to catch that.

Originally posted by budski

We will not see the false starts, and other superflous offensive lineman penalties we saw last year.

As far as the GB call on the 1 sec set flag well, remember it so you can tell your great great grandchildren about it, thats about when the next time you'll see it. Not saying I have watched alot of football, but that is the first time I have ever seen that penalty called. Ref must have had a stopwatch that they used to time the forty, to catch that.

yeah, that was one of the wierdest calls i've ever seen, with all of the football i've seen over the years i can honestly say that was the first time i've seen that call made.

Originally posted by authentic

yeah, that was one of the wierdest calls i've ever seen, with all of the football i've seen over the years i can honestly say that was the first time i've seen that call made.

Agreed. That was one of the biggest BS calls I've ever seen. :mad:

Good post. It supports what many of us have been saying, that small improvements in offensive efficiency have the potential to make a big difference in our final record in 2005. I feel sure that is what our coaching staff is focused on.

Here's some more stats from NFL.com:

The average team had 6.97 penalties per game, vs the Skins 7.19. The Skins ranked tied for 17th out of 32 teams. Not too bad.

The average team had 57 penalty yards per game, vs the Skins 65.44. The Skins ranked 30th out of 32 teams.

The top ten teams had 6.09 penalties for 50.8 yards per game. One fewer 15 yd. penalty per game puts us in the top 10. It seems like a minor difference but that is exactly the point: The Redskins can make a lot of minor improvements which can add up to a big difference.

The NFL site doesn't seem to break down offensive penalties vs defensive and special teams penalties.

Pretty much why Gibbs started simplifying things as much as he did...to alleviate the penalties...and probably played so conservatively in a lot of instances while the offense was still trying to learn the system etc. I say with a better command of what Gibbs wants done, another year in that system the familiarity should be there...the guys should be gelled/meshed more..and I hope penalties will be kept in check..they do happen..will happen..but keeping them to a minimum is obviously what you want. (especially the bone head 15 yard personal foul variety etc.)

Originally posted by budski

Was it a 1-second set penalty? I thought it was because they thought he was moving forward; maybe they are one and the same. :whoknows:

I've seen that penalty called before, but you're right, its either blatantly obvious or its usually not called at all. The one against us was nowhere near obvious, and should not have been made. I think the ref was politically motivated!!! (I'm referring to the last home-game before the presidential election thing.....)

Originally posted by authentic

http://www.local6.com/nfl088/2359374/detail.html

With all of the attention surrounding the Redskins additions and subtractions of the roster, along with the change of offensive philosophy going into the 2005 season one thing that should be of discussion should be the penalty situation. As abysmal as our offense was last year, the element that haunted us, especially in the close games, were penalties. According to my online sources[see above link], the Redskins managed to rack up 115 penalties for a whopping 1047 yards, which nearly set a franchise record, vs 97 penalties for 797 yards by our opponents. Yet, with that considered imagine if those numbers where cut in half we could have ended the season with a 10-6 record and headed into the playoffs. There is no mistaking that the offense needs much improvement, which management have addressed with the "key" aquisition of Bill Musgrave. Yet, i believe that the underlying success of this upcoming season will be the discipline and maturity of this team - starting with the offensive line. I with out a doubt believe that they are in the process of turning things around , and will get it turned around. But as even as this league has become in talent and competition we will not be successful until each individual player hold himself accountable to making good ,sound , decsions when it is needed most.

Good point!!! I'd say at least 2 games lost because of penalties.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

I hope we're good enough this year so we don't look back after week 16 and say "yeah, if the refs didn't screw us here, here and here, we'd have been in the playoffs, easy."

:cheers:

F'n eh! I actualy got into a fight with a Cowboy game on MNF last year. I was at a local sports bar after work and saw that horrible pass interference turn into a 49yd play that set those f'ers at the 1yd line.

Long story short I got the first 2 in and then it turned into a wrestling match that got broke up and I dug before the cops came.

Eh whatever.

But I do have to say it brought a smile to my face MOST times when or D would pick up a flag for a solid message to punks like TO.

I hope we're good enough this year so we don't look back after week 16 and say "yeah, if the refs didn't screw us here, here and here, we'd have been in the playoffs, easy."

I really hope so too I hate having to make excuses =(

----

when a game is close however one bad call WILL cost you the game. What pisses me off is when good teams just don't get those calls because the refs are not willing to make calls they woudn't have a problem making on an bad team. Like I said case and point all the holding and contact down the field in the SB. Never called. If it was the skins we would have had 80 yards in penalties.

Originally posted by TheGreek1973

----

when a game is close however one bad call WILL cost you the game. What pisses me off is when good teams just don't get those calls because the refs are not willing to make calls they woudn't have a problem making on an bad team. Like I said case and point all the holding and contact down the field in the SB. Never called. If it was the skins we would have had 80 yards in penalties.

I agree. I'm saying I hope we kick the crap out of teams to the point where a bad call won't cost us the game. I hate saying "well, if it weren't for the stupid refs..."

Archived