Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Rice Signs With Broncos

jimster

Jerry Rice Reaches Deal With Broncos

May 25, 1:55 PM (ET) Email this Story

http://sports.iwon.com/news/05252005/v6316.html

By EDDIE PELLS

DENVER (AP) - Jerry Rice agreed to terms with Denver on Wednesday and will attempt to resume his career as a backup for the Broncos.

Rice, the NFL's all-time leader in catches, yards and touchdowns, will be reunited with coach Mike Shanahan, who was his offensive coordinator in San Francisco from 1992-94.

Details weren't disclosed by the team, but ESPN.com reported it was a one-year deal.

Last week, Shanahan said the 42-year-old receiver wouldn't be guaranteed a spot on the roster, meaning he will likely play behind Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts.

"I told Jerry that I don't know if he's lost a step or two steps, but you're going to come here for one reason and that's to compete with the other guys," Shanahan said. "And if you're one of our top five guys at the end of camp, then you're going to be on our football team. If you're not, I said I'd have one of the toughest jobs in the world."

Playing time has been an issue for Rice, who left Oakland in part because he felt he wasn't being used enough.

Rice was the third receiver taken in the 1985 draft behind Eddie Brown and Al Toon. He was the 16th pick, with the 49ers trading up to select him after he set several NCAA records at Division I-AA Mississippi Valley State.

Rice is the NFL's career leader in receptions with 1,549; total yards with 22,895; and touchdowns receiving with 197, all far ahead of anyone else. He also leads in total touchdowns with 207, 32 more than Emmitt Smith. He won three Super Bowls with the 49ers and was the Super Bowl MVP in 1989.

Rice is hoping for a 20th NFL season after seeing his production slide in recent years.

He was released by San Francisco after the 2000 season and signed with the Raiders. In 2002, Rice had 92 catches for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns in helping Oakland reach the Super Bowl.

But Rice started being phased out of the Raiders' offense the next year, catching 63 passes and two TDs. He was traded to Seattle and ended last season with 30 catches for 429 yards, the lowest totals of his career except for an injury-plagued season in 1997.

This is way worse than Michael Jordan.. i mean after the second yr. with the wizards he realized that he was finished. To be lingering on being 40+ years old is a disgrace, especially playing a young man's position like WR. He may need to learn the hard way, and just get knocked the hell out ( not seriously injured ).. but just a wake up call.

He's playing a game within a game here, and it's totally ego-driven.

He probably surmises (correctly) that the pass-happy NFL is producing WRs that are racking up the stats, and he doesn't want anyone to break any of his records in his lifetime. So with every catch, every TD, he puts that much more of a buffer between himself and the Randy Mosses & Marvin Harrisons of the world.

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

He's playing a game within a game here, and it's totally ego-driven.

He probably surmises (correctly) that the pass-happy NFL is producing WRs that are racking up the stats, and he doesn't want anyone to break any of his records in his lifetime. So with every catch, every TD, he puts that much more of a buffer between himself and the Randy Mosses & Marvin Harrisons of the world.

considering how the HOF has treated Art Monk, can't fault him for that.

Originally posted by bubba9497

considering how the HOF has treated Art Monk, can't fault him for that.

Uh, yeah, I suppose except...is there any doubt whatsoever that Rice is a first ballot HOFer? Of course, you're right, I did think the same about Monk.

When he didn't get in his first year of eligability, I was thinking, "Uh, SAY WHAT?!?!?" But honestly there is no way in hell Rice will have that same problem.

Archived