Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chappelle Checks into Facility

bofluid

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tv_chappelle_suspended

Chappelle Reportedly Checks Into Facility

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

1 hour, 3 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Comedy Central star Dave Chappelle has checked himself into a mental health facility in South Africa, the magazine Entertainment Weekly reported on Wednesday.

The comedian's whereabouts and condition have been unknown since Comedy Central abruptly announced last week that the planned May 31 launch of the third season of "Chappelle's Show" had been postponed and production halted.

Chappelle flew from Newark, N.J., to South Africa on April 28 for treatment, said the magazine, quoting a source close to the show it would not identify. Entertainment Weekly said it had corroborating sources for its story.

"We don't know where he is," Comedy Central spokesman Tony Fox said. "We've heard about South Africa. We don't know. We haven't talked to Dave."

Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, would not comment on the magazine's story.

"It seems like the issues he's contending with are really quite serious," said Dade Hayes, a senior editor at Entertainment Weekly. "It isn't a case of him spending a weekend someplace recuperating from exhaustion."

The magazine's sources say Chappelle is still in the facility, which was not named, Hayes said. Chappelle's representatives have denied that the comedian was abusing drugs.

Chappelle reportedly signed a $50 million deal with Comedy Central for two more seasons of his show, a payday made possible because of the explosive sales of the show's first season DVD.

The magazine said Chappelle had shot four to five episodes' worth of sketches for the new season, but none of its onstage introductions.

------------------------------------------------------

:doh: I just hope he gets all the help that he needs and turns out okay.

I met him once-- A year or two before the first season came out. Real genuine nice guy-- Did one of the coolest things I've ever seen a comedian do. He was performing a show and enjoyed my roommates band's performance and kept them onstage during his standup for background music. Needless to say,since we were in a small town he stayed on stage for 3 or 4 times as long as he was "required" to perform and just yucked it up with the crowd for half the night because "he had nothing better to do."

Afterwards, he came by to my roommate's other bandmate's place hung out/puffed down for a hot sec. Unfortunately, word got around that he was there and he jetted... Real down to earth... but even before the chappelle show he didn't like the attention.

Jim Brewer came a few years later-- not nearly as cool... Told the same jokes too. :mad:

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

From what patterns with cocaine i've seen and from my own experiences. I would wager 200 bucks that this is not cocaine related. You want to put your money where your mouth is?

I'm not saying he is on coke but you can't sit there and say for sure he isn't on coke or have some other drug problem.

or

He just went crazy and had a break down or something...

From all accounts from before and post-show, Dave has been a good guy. He lives in Ohio with his family.

I hope he gets better, and I hope it's not a substance(though he may have to lay off weed.) It's possible he has an illness that requires treatment and this has a connection to his check-in.

Whatever it is, hope to see him back and healthy and making us laugh(or not, if that's not what he is after.)

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

I'm not saying he is on coke but you can't sit there and say for sure he isn't on coke or have some other drug problem.

or

He just went crazy and had a break down or something...

You're right but from my experiences I can make inferences that might be a little bit more accurate than yours. :)

Originally posted by jwpanic

i understand wanting to get help for whatever is ails him, but south africa? no good clinics on this continent i suppose. i wish him well.

Cause he knows if he went to Betty Ford or somewhere else, it'd be all over the news. Plus, it sounds like he just wants some privacy.

Get well Dave, hopefully you get back on track soon.

From what I have heard, Chappelle is the type of guy who doesn't really like the limelight or attention. The show took off like nobody expected and he now recevies Beatles like attention when he goes out. He could just be depressed and exhausted....

Originally posted by Skinned

From what I have heard, Chappelle is the type of guy who doesn't really like the limelight or attention. The show took off like nobody expected and he now recevies Beatles like attention when he goes out. He could just be depressed and exhausted....

Exactly ... no one knows what's going on in his life ... therefore to speculate and bet on whether it's this or that is just stupid. No one knows what it is .... It could be this or that.

Originally posted by Skinned

Yeah, and it came on quick, too, which I'm sure didn't help the process. He went from a little known actor/comedian to a major public figure. I mean, Half Baked is a cult classic, I know people my age are familiar with it, but older people probably aren't and therefore aren't familiar with him.

But now everyone knows who he is. the whole "Rick James" thing got to be a national phenomenon overnight. I'm sure it's hard for the guy.

Archived