Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins, Holdman Agree to Terms

WVSkins79

The Browns] released him this year due to the new coaching staff," Gibbs said. "He's somebody we liked last year and we thought he fit in good with us, so we jumped on it. He came in for a quick visit and we reached a quick agreement."

I don't think Holdman was released. I think he signed a 1 year contract last year and was a UFA this year. It doesn't mean much except that that makes 3 FA's signed and 2 lost so it likely kills any chance for a compensatory pick in the 06 draft.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=7057

The Redskins have agreed to terms on a deal with free agent linebacker Warrick Holdman, head coach Joe Gibbs said on Wednesday.

Holdman is a 6-1, 235-pounder who played for the Cleveland Browns last season after five years with the Chicago Bears. He started 14 of 16 games last season with the Browns and logged 110 tackles (56 solo) and 0.5 sacks.

Warrick Holdman

With a new coaching staff in place in Cleveland, Holdman's future was in doubt after last season. He was released by the Browns on Feb. 23.

"We tried to sign Warrick [in 2004] and he wound up going to Cleveland," Gibbs said. "We've added a veteran guy with a lot of experience. With Warrick and [recent free agent pickup] Brian Allen, we've added two veteran guys at the linebacker spot.."

Holdman is familiar with Redskins' defensive coordinator/defensive line coach Greg Blache and linebackers coach Dale Lindsey. Holdman, who played for the Bears from 1999-2003, was previously coached by Blache from 1999-2003 and Lindsey from 1999-2001 when they were in Chicago.

"He's somebody who our coaches here know a lot about because they've coached him," Gibbs said.

Holdman has played all three linebacker positions in his career and will bring strong depth to the team's linebacker corps.

"[The Browns] released him this year due to the new coaching staff," Gibbs said. "He's somebody we liked last year and we thought he fit in good with us, so we jumped on it. He came in for a quick visit and we reached a quick agreement."

In his career, Holdman has played in 75 games with 63 starts. He has recorded 522 tackles (342 solo), four sacks, nine forced fumbles and one interception.

His best statistical season was 2001 with the Chicago Bears, when he logged a career-high 145 tackles (101 solo), 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and eight passes defended. His 145 tackles were second on the team to Pro Bowler Brian Urlacher's 214.

Holdman played linebacker at Texas A&M from 1995-98. He started 40 games during that span, recording 249 tackles, 16.5 sacks and seven forced fumbles. He is a native of Alief, Texas.

Fullbacks and Linebackers make good special teamers. Also, we were paper thin at LB last year. The only conundrum I see is that Holdman is an OLB, so he's obviously not going to start. He was the weak link on the Chicago LB unit before he went to Cleveland, but he is a solid player.

Originally posted by Pocono

It doesn't mean much except that that makes 3 FA's signed and 2 lost so it likely kills any chance for a compensatory pick in the 06 draft.

Compensatory picks aren't given based soley on the number of free agents brought in and the number let go. It is a complicated formula, not exactly known by the public, that includes the abilities of the players let go and signed, the contract numbers, pro-bowls, etc. Seeing that Smoot and Pierce signed huge contracts and are both pro-bowl calibre players, and that we've signed a few low-key players to small deals, I'm still expecting at least a 4th rounder + next year.

Barrow is as good as gone come June 1st. This was a good signing and now we need to turn our attention to the offensive side of the ball.

I'm anxious to see who gets cut by other teams on June 1st.

We may be able to find a good OG to really shore up the O-line. Atleast I'm hoping for a miracle.

anyone at this point who is questioning Williams and Blache's evaluation of talent on defense needs to go to the toolshed :)

Holdman is a starting quality player in the NFL and is the perfect insurance policy in case of continued injury problems for Arrington or a lack of success for Marshall inside.

Of course since I'm a Bears fan, I had to come here to see what was being said.

Holdman is a solid player when he's healthy. His 2000 and 2002 seasons were cut short due to injuries, and he was up and down all 2003...he was banged up a bit but still played.

He can play all three LB positions, but you don't want him to. He was very ineffective at MLB because he couldn't shed blocks. fullbacks and guards were eating him for lunch. He didn't fit Greg Blache's defense from the strong side, so they moved him to weakside...which is where his strengths are. He's an excellent pass rusher, average in coverage, but solid against the run as long as there are no fullbacks or pulling lineman.

From what I know of Gregg Williams, Holdman is his kind of guy. Look for him to excel in your defense....just hope he stays healthy.

Guest amaprius

Holdman is a great pick up for us.

Looks like Our LB's will be Holdman, Arrington, and Washington to start

Allen, McCune, Marshall and Clemons backing up.

Keasey and Newberry on Practice Squad. I wish I could fit Smith in there but I might be stretching it with 7 LB's.:logo:

Originally posted by Mickalino

So we've got :

Arrington

Washington

Barrow

Marshall

Brian Allen

Warrick Holdman

CLifton Smith

Robert McCune

Jared Newberry

Khary Campbell

Brandon Barnes

Chris Clemons

Zak Keasey

Joe Tuipala

There oughta be a starting MLB in there, somewhere

Who knows how this situation is going to shape up. Looks like we'll be in good shape though.:)

Originally posted by SkinsTillIDie

Compensatory picks aren't given based soley on the number of free agents brought in and the number let go. It is a complicated formula, not exactly known by the public, that includes the abilities of the players let go and signed, the contract numbers, pro-bowls, etc. Seeing that Smoot and Pierce signed huge contracts and are both pro-bowl calibre players, and that we've signed a few low-key players to small deals, I'm still expecting at least a 4th rounder + next year.

You can expect what you want. I've seen a pick awarded to a team who signs the same amount as they lose but I haven't seen a pick awarded to a team that signed more FA's than they lost. You'll notice in this year's comp picks they didn't even award picks to teams who lost the same amount of FA's as they lost.

http://steelers.scout.com/2/361988.html

Man do we have a rotation at LB or what. What for us to play a little 3-4 D also in passing situations. We are looking more and more on the D-side like the Pats. Gregg Williams has so many weapons now at perhaps the most important position in his D-plans. Great pick.

Archived