Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Controversy by mid season?

redrobert

What do you guys think about the possiblity of a quarterback controvery this season: Yes or No and when.

I say it is likely. If we start slow, Ramsey throws a few interceptions, I think the Redskins faithful with start chanting Campbell. As we did last year with Brunnell. Any thoughts?

I think the fans will gave ramsey a lot of leeway. We were chanting for ramsey last year because we knew he was a tough kid that wouldnt miss wide open receivers - we knew it couldnt get any worse. Campbell is a rookie and its gonna take him a while before he's playable, I think the fans know this. Of course, this all assumes ramsey plays badly - which he won't!

I do like the campbell pick though, I wish more players had to worry about job security. We need to light a fire under the ass of some of our skill position players, and we'll be a much better team.

Originally posted by redrobert

What do you guys think about the possiblity of a quarterback controvery this season: Yes or No and when.

I say it is likely. If we start slow, Ramsey throws a few interceptions, I think the Redskins faithful with start chanting Campbell. As we did last year with Brunnell. Any thoughts?

Bringing Brunell to DC wasn't exactly a popular move. A lot of people around here like Ramsey for a variety of reasons, including his toughness, his aw-shucks demeanor and the cannon welded onto his right shoulder. A lot of these people felt Ramsey got cheated.

If anything, the Brunell situation last year shows Gibbs will stick to his man as long as he possibly can before making any changes. Don't let Roethlisberger fool you, rookies don't generally do well their first year, and I doubt he'll fare any better than Ramsey would. Campbell will probably be third on the depth chart until next year when he's had a year to learn the offensive system and the various defenses of the NFL.

EDIT: I suppose I didn't directly answer your question. No, I don't believe we have a quarterback controversy, at least not this year. No one will be chanting Campbell's name.

I think Ramsey will start off the year fine, and the only reason there will ever be a controversy is at the end of the year when we play the division games. I really think the schedule this year will give Ramsey the edge early on, seeing how the only defense that scares me is the Broncos before we hit the Eagles Nov. 6th. I think Ramsey will start off the year fine, and we won't have any reason to have this conversation mid-october.

Then again, this is April, and this is a Dan Snyder team we are talking about.

It could turn into an interesting situation.

You can bet that you wont hear any fans chanting for Brunell. So if they chant for anyone its gonna be Campbell. The thing about that, however, is that I can't see Gibbs giving Campbell much time, if any. So, I think the largest potential for a controversey would be Ramsey being pulled in favor of Brunell. And that would'nt be a quaterback controversey, that would be a coach/fan controversey.

agree with Destino......Campbell won't be a factor this season unless all *ell breaks out. we should be better this year. the real problem, since we are all conjecturing wildly at this point, is the fol: suppose we finish 9-7. an ok season but nothing spectacular. PR is good, but not great. then the pressure starts to build...IMO!

I think it will start earlier than that b/c I see Campell having an outstanding pre-season he is going to have part of his rookie learning curve cut short...

The thing I remember most from Campbells press-conference after he was drafted is that he said that the Skins offense is the same as the one he ran last yr at Auburn but that we use numbers instead of terminology to designate routes so he wont have to cram to learn the O...

Being that he will not have to learn a whole new system just get the numbering system down he can let his natural ability show more and focus on the little things a successful QB does ie: developing a repore w/teammates, and becoming a leader...

Originally posted by fansince62

agree with Destino......Campbell won't be a factor this season unless all *ell breaks out. we should be better this year. the real problem, since we are all conjecturing wildly at this point, is the fol: suppose we finish 9-7. an ok season but nothing spectacular. PR is good, but not great. then the pressure starts to build...IMO!

At this point, a 9-7 season would have to be considered more than "OK". If we finish 9-7, and Ramsey puts up good numbers, look for a reasonable contract extension.

Originally posted by jtyler42

Being that he will not have to learn a whole new system just get the numbering system down he can let his natural ability show more and focus on the little things a successful QB does ie: developing a repore w/teammates, and becoming a leader...

You forgot learning to deal with NFL defenses which are bigger, faster, stronger and infinitely more complex than college defenses. Campbell certainly looks like he has the tools, but I'm not expecting any fireworks this year. History just doesn't support it.

Originally posted by Johnny_Blaze

doubt there will be a controversy between campbell and ramsey this year, but next year regardless of how Ramsey performs this year I still think there will be a struggle there between those two.

I agree as Campbell develops so will a controversy-- Also, watch what happens when injuries shake things up.

Side note: I wanted to say something clever about your sig but I got nothing... :(

Knowing the redskins fans.. If Ramsey doesn't do well by Game 2 they'll be screaming for a QB change..

If Ramsey is even average, he'll stay in all year.. He has to have visably lost it for Gibbs to pull him.. and it won't be Campbell that goes in.. It will be Brunell. So forget about seeing Campbell at all this year in a real game, it's just not going to happen, barring serious injury.

I can't imagine Ramsey doing so horribly that the fans chant for Brunell. Also, I can't remember a QB controversy between a starter and a QB that throws in the dirt. For that matter, I can't remember a QB controvery between a starter and a rookie, either. I really think the fans will be patient with Ramsey.

Originally posted by Mark The Homer

I can't imagine Ramsey doing so horribly that the fans chant for Brunell. Also, I can't remember a QB controversy between a starter and a QB that throws in the dirt. For that matter, I can't remember a QB controvery between a starter and a rookie, either. I really think the fans will be patient with Ramsey.

Manning and Warner? I wouldn't say it happens often by any means, but I think there was a controversy all year last year in New York.

Archived