Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

George Soloman (WP) on WTEM right now

E-Dog Night

Originally posted by Iggle in Exile

George Solomon has a Sunday column on page 2 of the Wash Post sports section. No offense to the guy, but it just seems like he's phoning it in. The column is mostly ruminations and random thoughts; not reporting based on extensive research. At least that's my take.

George Solomon was the Post Sports Editor (for a number of years...he hired both Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser among other sports writers..) ... he is semi-retired now... just writes the OpEd pieces on Sundays... he is Post's modern day Shirley Povich.

zoony,

No question that not all opinions are created equal. I'd just like to think that someone like Solomon could offer more than utterly superficial takes like that.

No doubt, Campbell COULD start 8 games this year ... so technically, Solomon isn't wrong.

He's just kinda ... "out there" on that one.

What's the point of having a media credential if you're not going to offer a bit more than classic speculation? Hell, WE do that around here 24/7 ... and I'd wager many of us are far more into the daily minutae of the team than he is.

Just ain't nobody asking to put our opinions out there in the mainstream.

Yet.

I know ... maybe we'll ask him if he's interested in a Q&A and we can see what he REALLY knows, and how well he could really defend some of those statements.

Hmm ... :)

Originally posted by zoony

:) I feel ya' and what you're saying...

BUT

By that logic, Om, anyone's comments can be construed as ridiculous. Take any George Bush quote, coming from my mouth, and guess what... it's a little ridiculous. (actually, they sound ridiculous coming from him, but I won't go there :laugh: ) Take Joe Gibbs' quotes, i.e. 'We did really well in the draft' and they are not as credible when coming from a newbie.

I guess my point is, you HAVE to consider the source. In this case, the source is someone who makes their living covering sports and the Washington Redskins... not a message board 'newbie'.

Agreed. it could just be Om didn't like what was said??? ***ducks*** :whoknows:

And BTW, a George Bush quote can sound completely ridiculous coming out of George Bush's own mouth!

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Oh damn, how did politics get involved here?

Originally posted by E-Dog Night

And BTW, a George Bush quote can sound completely ridiculous coming out of George Bush's own mouth!

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

:paranoid: hopefully sarge didn't see this :paranoid:

:laugh:

Agreed. it could just be Om didn't like what was said??? ***ducks*** :whoknows:

No need to duck.

It's not that I don't 'like" what he said ... it's just that to me, what he said isn't any more worth getting worked up over than the same thing said by someone NOT working for the Post.

I just don't see any "there" there.

So I thought I'd, you know ... say so.

Geez. :)

Originally posted by Om

zoony,

No question that not all opinions are created equal. I'd just like to think that someone like Solomon could offer more than utterly superficial takes like that.

No doubt, Campbell COULD start 8 games this year ... so technically, Solomon isn't wrong.

He's just kinda ... "out there" on that one.

What's the point of having a media credential if you're not going to offer a bit more than classic speculation? Hell, WE do that around here 24/7 ... and I'd wager many of us are far more into the daily minutae of the team than he is.

Just ain't nobody asking to put our opinions out there in the mainstream.

Yet.

I know ... maybe we'll ask him if he's interested in a Q&A and we can see what he REALLY knows, and how well he could really defend some of those statements.

Hmm ... :)

I got the feeling that he may have not wanted to even talk Redskins. He was there to promote the Povich book...not to talk Redskins.

And perhaps he was not trying to add anymore to pissing match.

Just a thought.

P.S. Has he been asked to do a Q & A before?

Quotes:

"I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Campbell starts half the games in 2005."

This statement is crazy and shows this guys lack of knowlege on the subject. If Ramsey falters, which would have to mean that his development would take a complete 180 degree turn, than Brunell would get the start not a rookie. Does this guy know Gibbs at all???

"They should have found a way to keep Fred Smoot."

Fred Smoot walked for a few hundred thousand dollars of a multimillion dollar contract offer. He only wanted that money for his ego, and the Skins showed him a strong offer to stay. If Smoot really wanted to stay, he would have.

"If you had Coles here and injected him with truth serum, I bet he would say that he wanted to leave because there was nobody to get him the football."

Coles was one of Ramseys favorite targets and loved Patrick because of his arm. The real problem was that the Redskins were really starting to pressure him to get his toe operated on. Coles has definetly lost a step and can no longer get the kind of separation in this league the way he used to with sharp cuts and quick starts. Coles left because he was worried about having a surgery that could possibly end his career.

"I think they are going to give Ramsey a chance, but clearly they are not confident in him. Ramsey hasn't shown that he can be a winner in this league."

Ramsey will get the same kind of chance that Brunell got last year and everyone will see how good he can be when he finaly can get comfortable in a system with a strong O-line. The only problem I see is talking Brunell into retiring just after he built his brand new $8 Mil mansion in Potomac.

Originally posted by richard saunders

I got the feeling that he may have not wanted to even talk Redskins. He was there to promote the Povich book...not to talk Redskins.

And perhaps he was not trying to add anymore to pissing match.

Just a thought.

P.S. Has he been asked to do a Q & A before?

Fair enough, RS. Just making the broad point (trying to, anyway :) ) that the kinds of fans who really follow a team, like most of the ones here, have evolved to the point that they can see empty Skins stuff for the empty Skins stuff it is, even if the proponent of it DOES have standing in the "mainstream" press.

And now I'll shut up about it. Promise. :)

As to the Q&A, no, we have not approached himbefore. Just something to think about.

Originally posted by Om

Fair enough, RS. Just making the broad point (trying to, anyway :) ) that the kinds of fans who really follow a team, like most of the ones here, have evolved to the point that they can see empty Skins stuff for the empty Skins stuff it is, even if the proponent of it DOES have standing in the "mainstream" press.

And now I'll shut up about it. Promise. :)

As to the Q&A, no, we have not approached himbefore. Just something to think about.

I agree with your original statement completely.

I do find the one quote interesting about the truth serum, everything else was ho-hum.

When I first heard him on the air, I did a quick search on the Post to re-read his last few articles. I found them all to be fair. No real new ideas, but fair nontheless.

That means a lot to me (sadly) right now from the Post.

Quotes:

""The redskins seem not as organized as one would hope."

I disagree with this statement! In fact, I believe the Redskins are more organized than ever. Gibbs is just a couple of chess moves ahead of us average folk. He actually is planning 3-4 years out while trying to win now. The rookie CB will give us more cap relief than Smoots deal would have over the next five years. The signing bonus will be large; however, the salaries will be much lower. The same with Jason Campbell if he works out. PR will want a lot more money after 2006 and will be looking for a big payday and Brunnel will be gone after June 1, 2006.

Originally posted by TLusby

I disagree with this statement! In fact, I believe the Redskins are more organized than ever. Gibbs is just a couple of chess moves ahead of us average folk. He actually is planning 3-4 years out while trying to win now. The rookie CB will give us more cap relief than Smoots deal would have over the next five years. The signing bonus will be large; however, the salaries will be much lower. The same with Jason Campbell if he works out. PR will want a lot more money after 2006 and will be looking for a big payday and Brunnel will be gone after June 1, 2006.

Absolutely!

I think it says a lot about the type of leader we have in Gibbs when he's picking players that may help this team primarily after he's hung it up...

Amen, TLusby! Gibbs not organized?!? That's the second worst take I've read in perusing discussion threads over the past several months (outside of the obvious trolls). The worst was on CPND by someone who seriously said "Clearly diplomacy isn't Gibbs strength."

:doh:

If Solomon wants a fair criticism of the Skins organization, it's that we've suffered from too much turn-over. Changing personnel from Turner-ball, to Marty-ball, to Spurrier ball, and now to Gibbs ball has hurt the organization. But Snyder isn't about to fire Gibbs, so those days of turnover (although recent) are in the rear view mirror.

Further, I like Bubba's take on the damned if you do, damned if you don't situation the Skins are in. We've heard the no GM argument a thousand times, and yet when the organization demonstrates the forethought of thinking ahead to Ramsey's contract year, they get bashed for not trying to win now....

If 'noobs' makes such assertions then he can be asked to detail why he feels justified by making such assertions. His analysis can then be accepted or rejected (and, if not original, I will ignore it). Mr Soloman makes several assertions that are not original with him and chooses not to provide a factual analysis. Granted, he may feel limited by his venue, but if his assertions are, in fact, supported by original analysis then he should find a way to present his analysis (or refrain from making such assertions). If he has no original analysis, he is parroting an opinion and has no more (or less) creditability than 'noobs'. BTW, this goes for those who would make assertions on all sides.

This Solomon apparently didn't inherit the wisdom of his namesake.

"I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Campbell starts half the games in 2005."

This borders on the idiotic. To the extent that this may happen, Solomon has utterly no factual bases upon which make this statement now.

"They should have found a way to keep Fred Smoot."

Really? How? By paying him more money than the true #1 CB on the team last year and disrepecting him in the process? Good point there, George. His point might've made more sense with Pierce.

"The redskins seem not as organized as one would hope."

Well, how profound. Got any details for us?

"If you had Coles here and injected him with truth serum, I bet he would say that he wanted to leave because there was nobody to get him the football."

And why was that? Because of Brunell and shaky line, two things which have already been fixed. If you did inject Coles with sodium pentathol, he'd be saying something like "I want to be on a team that let's me play on nine toes and doesn't prod me on my decision not to have toe surgery."

"I think they are going to give Ramsey a chance, but clearly they are not confident in him. Ramsey hasn't shown that he can be a winner in this league."

They're certainly confident in Ramsey this season. And how hasn't Ramsey shown he can't win? Hell, he's had all of what opportunity? Sheeesh. And in that brief opportunity he's had, he's not done that bad.

"Is the line going to be better with Jansen? I think it will. I also think the wide receiver unit will be better"

Jansen will make the line better, but it's funny how he whiffed on the very key acquisition of Casey Rabach.

Originally posted by goldenster95

Jansen will make the line better, but it's funny how he whiffed on the very key acquisition of Casey Rabach.

You're trying to perform a detailed analysis with quotes that are:

1. Not exact quotes

2. Not comprising the entire interview, and therefore...

3. Might be taken out of context

You're doing the best with what you have, but in the end, you just look foolish.

We applaud the effort, though.

Archived