Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From the Post (6/6/02): Westbrook Rejects Skins Offer

Westbrook Says He Rejected Offer From Redskins

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, June 6, 2002; 3:54 PM

Unrestricted free agent wide receiver Michael Westbrook said today that the Washington Redskins made a modest contract offer to him about a week ago in a renewed effort to re-sign him, but he rejected it. He is in serious contract talks with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals, he said, and believes he probably will sign with one of those teams.

"I don't think they're seriously interested," Westbrook said of the Redskins' offer. "I don't think they're going to pay what it would take to sign me. I'm not going to play for free."

Westbrook, who turns 30 next month, led the Redskins with 57 catches last season and has 277 receptions in seven seasons with the club since being selected with the fourth overall choice in the 1995 draft. He is scheduled to travel to Jacksonville on Sunday to work out for the Jaguars on Monday, he said, and also is likely to visit the Bengals.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

Well, that's o.k. Westbroke... because we don't want your oft-injured, poor route running, dispearing, egotistical, mental mistakes, lapses in judgement, awkward falling, one hit away from IR, first down signaling, helmet throwing, referee arguing, leadership impaired, homosexual A** anyway.

What a joke. Yes, go waste the rest of your potential playing for the Bungles. Talk about a perfect fit. It's funny, we haven't heard of one player on the Redskin roster lament about how much they miss Michael Westrbrook. Good Riddance!!!!!!

Originally posted by goldenster95

"I don't think they're seriously interested," Westbrook said of the Redskins' offer. "I don't think they're going to pay what it would take to sign me. I'm not going to play for free."

No, Michael, no reason to feel any loyalty towards a team that sunk millions and millions of dollars into you and sticking by you year after controversial and unproductive year.:rolleyes:

Go ahead, sign with Cincy. I'm sure your ex-mates will send you a post card from the Super Bowl.

For every negative, there is a positive.

No one ever expects a Professional Football Player to play for free

and quite frankly Westbrook is being childish. Making an unnecessary statement in such a very serious matter, just wiped him off the slate. He assumes too much and is mainly sounding paranoid, if these are in fact his words.

All teams send a prleminary offer and then make adjustments in negotiations. He knows this and is just revealing that he has no intentions or may not have ever wanted to reach a certain level.

If he can't prove his worth with Brunell throwing and Smith on the other side, then he wasn't meant to be that much in the first place.

Sure he wants more money, but the Skins would like some more production to go with the dollars already spent, besides always recovering from injuries or not putting out in certain games (particulary breaking free for more touches through the years).

277 in 7 years. That's pretty average these days, if not less.

Unless I am mistaken, I had "7" there for a while yesterday and this morning it was gone. Hmmm.

For every negative, there is a positive.

No one ever expects a Professional Football Player to play for free

and quite frankly Westbrook is being childish. Making an unnecessary statement in such a very serious matter, just wiped him off the slate. He assumes too much and is mainly sounding paranoid, if these are in fact his words.

All teams send a prleminary offer and then make adjustments in negotiations. He knows this and is just revealing that he has no intentions or may not have ever wanted to reach a certain level.

If he can't prove his worth with Brunell throwing and Smith on the other side, then he wasn't meant to be that much in the first place.

Sure he wants more money, but the Skins would like some more production to with the dollars already spent, besides always recovering from injuries or not putting out in certain games (particulary breaking free for more touches through the years).

277 in 7 years. That's pretty average these days, if not less.

"The Redskins passed up an opportunity to select defensive tackle Warren Sapp in the NFL draft, opting instead for wide receiver Michael Westbrook. " - Washington Post

For me, Westbrook is the penultimate chapter in the Norv Turner era...for me the last chapter will close when Bruce Smith leaves.

1.htm

For years I have been a Westbrook appologist. No longer. This board has hit it right on the nail, Westy got chance after chance after chance. For what? One decent season, a couple of strong performances against weaker opponents.

Can anyone name a single BIG game that Westy stepped to the plate as a prime performer?:doh:

So long mike. I hope you enjoy cinci. You and Mike Brown deserve each other!:jerkoff:

"I don't think they're serious." Gee Mike, maybe we're not serious because you SUCK! We were just trying to sign you in the unlikely event that you had a halfway decent year, but I guess you'd rather go to the Bungles for the superstar money that you obviously deserve. I hope you have a fallback plan for when even the Bungles get sick of your constant injuries and lowered expectations. Lousy trails to ya, jerkoff. :jerkoff:

Originally posted by Yomar

For me, Westbrook is the penultimate chapter in the Norv Turner era...for me the last chapter will close when Bruce Smith leaves.

There's still Sam Shade, who traces his roots at the safety position through James Washington and Stanley Richard, but you're essentially right.

I have been the absolute most loyal fan of Westbrook since day one. I kept faith in him from his rookie season all the way until this offseason with no wavering.....But in the words of the great rock band, Zebra, "BUT NO MORE". I ceased becoming a Westbrook fan today after hearing his latest senseless tirade.

I hope Mike hits it big in Cincy since Gus is there(I think). I think Skaggs can match Mikes production given the chance. How many times did we see Mike catch a ball over his shoulder on the way to the end zone, not many if at all. Seems he always had to be facing the QB to catch it. Good bye Mike and tomorrow I will go ask my boss for a raise to work for free(650k):D

First of all, I am the biggest Westbrook fan, possibly in the entire universe at this point. I still believe that he would be a probowler in this system. Mick, you call yourself a huge westbrook fan, but you completely ditch him after a tirade? Hello, he's had plenty of tirades, if one more pushed you into making fun of him and saying "Westbroke" is GREAT, then you are not the biggest westbrook fan ever. I will take that title as I remain on HIS side. I'm with ya Mike, 100%. I only wish he'd sign for min here.

Archived