Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From the NY POST.....

Sag

According to an an article by Ken Palmer on the draft, and our 9th pick...and I quote..."Multiple Skins coaches confirmed that the club would love to land Wisconsin defensive end ERASMUS JAMES". Smoke screen? or is the reason we haven't heard much about him is because we ARE interested?

Wasn't he battling an ankle injury during the Outback? Not to mention his nasty hip injury the year before. He was ineffectual because he was being shuttled in and out of the line up to save his strength....the advantage to his bowl appearance not being up to snuff is that his draft stock slipped a little, so if the Skins were able to trade down, they might be able to still snag him later, if they were so inclined....

Here's his NFL.com draft analysis:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/james_erasmus

- FUF

Interesting, I've never heard his name in connection with us. I like James, but his injury history scares me to death. Injury's aside, James is a force on the field. The way he started of the season before getting injured was nothing short of spectacular.

But, I would be shocked if we took him at #9.

Originally posted by honeydont

Does anyone know the backround report on Marcus Spears? what do you think for our skins?:peace1:

Spears is an average pass rusher, we need a guy who would provide more pressure on the QB at DE. IMO, Spears is just a younger version of Wynn with slightly more upside.

I hope we aren't interested... He got manhandled in his Bowl game...

It wasn't his best game but he most certainly did not get manhandled. He wasn't great statistically but you could see that he has a rare burst and was a player that the defense was trying to account for on every play. He's been constantly injured but for the first half of this season, he looked like Charles Haley in his prime. And we're not talking about the Sun Belt conference here. That's Big 10 football.

James is a guy who is perhaps the best pure pass rusher in the draft and the best fit for us at DE. Before we lost Smoot, I was touting him as the player who could "complete" our defense and make it truly championship caliber. Now he certainly hasn't gotten worse since December, but there are some players like Merrimen, Pollack, and Spears who have been more impressive at the combine, all-star games, and personal workouts. Unfortunately for him, most teams (and fans) tend to weigh those factors a little too heavily. While the above players would be great picks for a 3-4 defense or a Raven-style 4-4, I think James is a true stud RDE and a perfect fit for a GW defense.

As I said, I had my heart set on him before the WR picture got muddy and before we unexpectedly lost Smoot. If it's between James and Rolle I'd probably go with Rolle. If it's James vs. Mike Williams, well that would be tougher. I fear that most fans on this board would be pissed if we grabbed the guy but I'd actually be in favor of it under the right circumstances. But it's hard to imagine us ever going D-line until it actually happens. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

It wasn't his best game but he most certainly did not get manhandled. He wasn't great statistically but you could see that he has a rare burst and was a player that the defense was trying to account for on every play.

Is this rare burst you are talking about .. dwight freeney type burst?

Is this rare burst you are talking about .. dwight freeney type burst?

It's pretty close. And he's bigger.

Is he as tenacious as Freeney? That remains to be seen. But one thing is certain: James doesn't have the long speed that Freeney has. Freeney ran a sub 4.5 while James was more in the 4.7 range.

Has anyone payed attention to the players that the Skins has hosted the last couple of days? DB and Wr are the class that the Skins have put their stock in. Granted a great DE would put a pass rush on a qb but Greg Williams use exotic blitz packages to make up for the lack of a dominant DE. To be honest, to hear Troy Williamson name come about tells me that he would be the Skins choice with that 4.3 speed which stretches the field and the new vertical game that the Skins will impose next year being Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards would be gone by the 9th pick.

Originally posted by Sag

According to an an article by Ken Palmer on the draft, and our 9th pick...and I quote..."Multiple Skins coaches confirmed that the club would love to land Wisconsin defensive end ERASMUS JAMES". Smoke screen? or is the reason we haven't heard much about him is because we ARE interested?

Mr. Palmer either got played, or he's full of BS. I think Gibbs is probably fishing here, hoping that someone will want to trade up with us to get James.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/44256.htm

April 10, 2005 -- AFTER visiting with numerous personnel and front-office types last week, Goal-Line Stand has compiled a Top 10 of what we think is going to unfold during the first round of the NFL Draft on April 23. Here goes:

1. San Francisco - While the Niners opened negotiations with four of the top players, and will certainly entertain trade offers, they need a franchise quarterback and Cal's Aaron Rodgers will be the man.

2. Miami - The Dolphins desperately need to replace Ricky Williams and Auburn's Ronnie Brown, the best player in the draft, will get the nod.

3. Cleveland - The Browns surprise some folks at number three and grab Maryland outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, who'll be perfect for their new 3-4 defense.

4. Chicago - Bears can't pass up best receiver in the draft and they don't, selecting Michigan's Braylon Edwards.

5. Tampa Bay - After thinking long and hard about USC receiver Mike Williams, the Bucs select the back they need - Auburn's Cadillac Williams.

6. Tennessee - Multiple agents have already confirmed that Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle is the definite pick

7. Minnesota - After dealing Randy Moss to the Raiders, the Vikes can't pass up Mike Williams of USC.

8. Arizona - Even though they desperately need a running back, with Kurt Warner and Josh McCown on the roster, the Cardinals also desperately need a quarterback. Alex Smith of Utah is the pick here.

9. Washington - Multiple 'Skins coaches confirmed that the club would love to land Wisconsin defensive end Erasmus James.

10. Detroit - The Lions need a lot. They'll start with Florida State offensive tackle Alex Barron.

Climbers and plungers

This week's risers up the draft chart include Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell, who could go as early as late in the first round; Connecticut linebacker Alfred Fincher, a solid second-round pick; and Grand Valley State tackle Todd Herremans, who has probably catapulted himself into the third round.

On the flip side, if the Redskins don't pull the trigger at No. 9, many personnel types believe Wisconsin's James will fall into the bottom half of the first round. Stanford tight end Alex Smith has dropped into the second round and Miami running back Frank Gore is unlikely to be taken until the second day.

This week's Post player to watch is Northwestern defensive tackle Luis Castillo, who could go late in the first round. He posted the best combination of athletic numbers at the combine in February, and is seen as one of only a handful of players who can play either defensive tackle or nose tackle in the league. Castillo's quickness, strength (30-plus reps of 225 pounds) and ability to create pressure in opposing backfields have him moving into the top 3-5 DTs on most draft boards. Castillo could go to Baltimore (No. 22), Atlanta (No. 27) or Philadelphia (No. 31), especially if Corey Simon is traded from the Eagles to the Ravens.

Kerry's Caller ID

The Raiders are so hurting to free up additional cap space that they've already had quarterback Kerry Collins restructure his contract twice! Collins understandably is not taking any more calls from the Raiders.

Oakland is still desperate to unload cornerback Charles Woodson, who's due to make more than $10 million this season, and, sources tell The Post, the club is willing to take less than the two No. 1 picks required to sign a franchise player.

"At this point, we'd probably take a one and a five or a seven," one front-office member said. "We're hoping to get something done before camp."

Also, sources close to the club say to watch the Raiders' cap situation closely in the near future, as a result of personnel executive Mike Lombardi. In a change of recent Oakland policy, Lombardi has been giving out guaranteed bonuses and up-front money to players, something that will certainly catch up to the Raiders before too long.

One team's trash ...

The Browns are thrilled that former DL coach Andre Patterson, now with Denver, has raided Cleveland's D-line. This offseason, the Broncos have either signed or traded for former Browns Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, Ebenezer Ekuban and Mike Myers.

"He can have them all," one front-office source told Goal-Line Stand. "They weren't any good here, that's for sure."

Snyd remarks

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder continues to make a laughingstock of himself around the league. After essentially boycotting the Washington Times in favor of the Washington Post since purchasing the team, Snyder recently granted the Times a lengthy Q&A solely to flip it to the Post, which was quite critical of Danny-boy this past season.

Sigh. Obligatory shot at Snyder at the end.

Archived