Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rosenhaus has guaranteed Owens a new contract

bpoch

PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens has a new agent. He doesn't have a new contract -- yet.

The Philadelphia Eagles' All-Pro receiver recently hired Drew Rosenhaus to replace his longtime agent, David Joseph. Rosenhaus met with Eagles president Joe Banner on Wednesday presumably to discuss his client's contract.

Owens, who helped lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia, signed a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million last March.

A source close to the situation said that Rosenhaus has guaranteed Owens a new contract with the Eagles prior to the start of training camp, ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported. In 2005, Owens is due $3.25 million in flat base salary, after earning over $9 million in salary and signing bonuses from the Eagles in 2004.

In 2006 he is owed $7.5 million in salary and bonuses but it is not guaranteed.

"I had a brief meeting this afternoon with Drew Rosenhaus," Banner said in a statement. "We discussed his new representation of Terrell, as he does often with teams of new clients. We are not prepared, at this time, to discuss any other details of the conversation."

It's unlikely the Eagles would redo Owens' deal, which included a signing bonus of more than $10 million.

"I'm not going to really get into all that," Rosenhaus said, adding that he now also represents Eagles offensive tackle Tra Thomas.

In his first year in Philadelphia after eight seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, Owens invigorated the Eagles with his attitude, enthusiasm and exceptional play, adding a swagger to a team that desperately needed a personality.

Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards. He broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl.

Owens defied his doctor's advice by returning to the starting lineup against New England just 6 1/2 weeks after ankle surgery, and was Philadelphia's best player on offense. He caught nine passes for 122 yards in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

The playmaking, showboating, brash-talking Owens lived up to his hype in Philadelphia, delivering everything from his innovative touchdown celebrations to his outrageous antics -- including a steamy segment with actress Nicollette Sheridan for an intro to "Monday Night Football."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2031463

The Eagles owe some of their success last year to him and will not repeat without him next year. I am not saying he will hold out, but he is one of the best in the game and did energize their team last year. He is just asking for what he thinks he is worth.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

The Eagles owe some of their success last year to him and will not repeat without him next year. I am not saying he will hold out, but he is one of the best in the game and did energize their team last year. He is just asking for what he thinks he is worth.

If there is ever a reason that the NFL loses it's prominence in American sports, this will be it. He signed a contract, and then wants more. Why'd he sign the contract? Just when I started to respect him for what he did in the Superbowl, he goes and does this.

There must be more to this. Owens did come back to play in the Super Bowl even though he was hurt. All the doctors told him not to play. Maybe he knows that his ankle is only going to get worse, and he's trying to land one last pay day before it's too late.

One thing I do know, I don't think the Eagles are going to cave. They made an example out of Duce Staley a couple of years ago, until Duce came crawling back. Granted, Westbrook is a better replacement for Staley than Todd Pinkston or (HA!) Freddie Mitchell is for T.O., but the Eagles usually don't give in to contract demands.

it all depends on how much they are talking , this will be interesting in the coming weeks. because we all know that T.O. has no problem with expressing his grievences with the media.. and knowing the reputation of Owens and his Shark-Azz agent, who knows if he may very well sit out training camp.

I seriously hope they give him more money upfront. Simply because his contract is so backloaded that the Eagles have several cheap "outs" after the 06 season.

Giving him more money upfront and reducing some of the back years will give both sides more security that Owens will be there beyond 06.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I seriously hope they give him more money upfront. Simply because his contract is so backloaded that the Eagles have several cheap "outs" after the 06 season.

Giving him more money upfront and reducing some of the back years will give both sides more security that Owens will be there beyond 06.

to be honest i can understand why players b*tch about their contracts even when its lucrative,because back-loading is so common in the league.. all teams have to do is offer a signing bonus in the beginning pay 1 or 2 mill. per yr, for the first 3 yrs. , then after the 3rd yr restructure the contract before the player can recieve the hefty purse.. talk about dog-eat-dog.

Originally posted by authentic

to be honest i can understand why players b*tch about their contracts even when its lucrative,because back-loading is so common in the league.. all teams have to do is offer a signing bonus in the beginning pay 1 or 2 mill. per yr, for the first 3 yrs. , then after the 3rd yr restructure the contract before the player can recieve the hefty purse.. talk about dog-eat-dog.

Well, he's the one that signed it. If it's backloaded, he didn't seem to mind it last year.:rolleyes:

I think he looked west and saw the money Harrison received with his new deal, felt disrespected, and has now called on Drew to get him more money than Marvin. It's the nature of today's professional athlete, it's about respect and to them having more money than another commands respect.

Additionally, Owens has already poked his finger in the eye of the NFL with his antics last year. Failing to file the necessary paperwork for FA, getting traded to a team he didn't want to play for, and then creating such a media firestorm that both the Ravens and the NFL caved and Owens got what he wanted.

He simply feels he can do it again.... this time extorting more money out of the Eagles.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

To be precise, they owe exactly one additional win to him. ;)

I really have no idea what he is complaining about since he can void every year on the contract after this year and negotiate the deal again next off season. It would mean that he isn't willing to play two consecutive years for the Eagles with a 10 million dollar sighning bonus.

Originally posted by Cskin

Additionally, Owens has already poked his finger in the eye of the NFL with his antics last year. Failing to file the necessary paperwork for FA, getting traded to a team he didn't want to play for, and then creating such a media firestorm that both the Ravens and the NFL caved and Owens got what he wanted.

yup... that's Exactly what happened..... :rolleyes:

the fact that the special master was about to rule in his favor shouldn't be mentioned at all....

anyway... let's get back to this year.. don't the Skins have 2 players looking for new deals that are also repped by Rosenhaus ???? Keep on laughing and hoping this situation w/ the Eagles blows up...... but what do you honestly think 'ol Drew will be whispering in Moss and Taylors ears IF, and I repeat, IF he is successful in getting the Eagles to re-do T.O.'s deal......

I imagine it would be something to the effect of... "Sh!t..... if I got the tight arse Eagles to bend... you just sit tight... I have meeting w/ DannyBoy to attend.... you've never seen so many Zeros on the end of your check as you are about to... "

Originally posted by herrmag

If there is ever a reason that the NFL loses it's prominence in American sports, this will be it. He signed a contract, and then wants more. Why'd he sign the contract? Just when I started to respect him for what he did in the Superbowl, he goes and does this.

I'd feel the same way if the owners ever lived up to their end of the contracts. Players who sign these deals do it knowing full well that they will never see the majority of the salary that is written into the contract. I can't blame the player for wanting what he's worth.

How much money do you think Owens generated for the Eagles last year? A lot more than he's been paid, i'd bet. He signed a 7 year contract that he would have to be 38 yrs of age to collect in full. I can't remember the last Eagle player to even reach 34 before getting the axe it's been so long. Owens knows full well his contract won't be paid out as it is.

Couple that with the number of players who suffer crippling pain throughout their lives as a result of playing this game into their 30s, and I can't blame them one bit for wanting to be paid.

~Bang

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Are you finally acknowledging T O is looking for more money/more guaranteed years.

Or are you still buying into the fact that Rosenhaus is into charity.:laugh:

Originally posted by TerpsEagles

yup... that's Exactly what happened..... :rolleyes:

the fact that the special master was about to rule in his favor shouldn't be mentioned at all....

anyway... let's get back to this year.. don't the Skins have 2 players looking for new deals that are also repped by Rosenhaus ???? Keep on laughing and hoping this situation w/ the Eagles blows up...... but what do you honestly think 'ol Drew will be whispering in Moss and Taylors ears IF, and I repeat, IF he is successful in getting the Eagles to re-do T.O.'s deal......

I imagine it would be something to the effect of... "Sh!t..... if I got the tight arse Eagles to bend... you just sit tight... I have meeting w/ DannyBoy to attend.... you've never seen so many Zeros on the end of your check as you are about to... "

One difference is we're talking about TO.

Taylor will get his deal redone at some point.

Moss is just a bump in the road.

Archived